IllumiStar H11 Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 05:35 PM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IllumiStar H11 Bulb

Hi,

I have been looking for a replacement "blue" H11 bulb, and stumble on IllumiStar on Amazon.com.

Here is info that I got from its manufacturer's customer service:

1. The illumiStar bulbs are pending DOT approval. It's a new product and the paperwork takes some time. They meet all DOT requirements.
2. They are 1350 lumens for the H11 bulbs. Factory style H11's will range from 1000 to 1200 lumens depending on the brand.
3. Average life is 600 hours. A good factory style bulb in this style will last around 800 hours. The illumiStar's have a longer life than a lot of the other brands out there, but they are still not going to match an OEM bulb. When you increase the color temperature (whiteness) and lumens (brightness) something has to give and in this case it's longevity.

It sounds good... good lumens, good life.

I tried MTEC 2x cosmos, but it was too dim. I'm very interested in this since the lumen rating is actually higher than stock. BTW, it is stock wattage (55W)

What do you guys think?
Old 06-03-06, 06:25 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

How much is it and whats the temperature rating?

600 hours 800 hours... eh... just replace them later. no biggie... unless they cost an arm and a leg...

Edit:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

$20 go for it and report back how you like them.

but it says 12v 45w.
Old 06-03-06, 06:28 PM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

Not sure about the temp rating.
Cost is ~20 bucks for a pair
Old 06-03-06, 07:05 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

The MTEC Cosmos is pretty bright I have them for my fogs. If you want something bright...why don't you get an HID kit?
Old 06-03-06, 08:54 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

i have something pretty similar to yours, and any halogen bulbs that are blue, the output is EXTREMELY bad... i can barely see anything at the moment as it is all just for looks. i am switching to 8000k HIDs soon.
Old 06-04-06, 10:49 AM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

Re: HID kit.

Just not willing to put in the labor (have you noticed how tight it is under the hood?) or deal with warranty void issues if problems appear
Old 06-04-06, 10:54 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gainesvill
Re: HID kit.

Just not willing to put in the labor (have you noticed how tight it is under the hood?) or deal with warranty void issues if problems appear
The labor seems pretty easy, I think. It takes a bit of time, but it's all basic steps. Haven't done it myself, yet, but from the threads posted here I can't see why it'd be a headache. As for warranty issues, get a kit from a reputable company.
Old 06-04-06, 12:23 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I thought about the HID kits too but just not yet... i'll see how these bulbs go... if they like go out every other month then I misght was well fork out for the HIDs but if they last for like a while I'll just change out the builbs... they're ok... for now.
Old 06-04-06, 03:35 PM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

EBMC,

which MTEC do you have and what is the wattage? Is it 2x cosmos or is it the 2x super white. Also, is it stock 55W or the 85W?

Also, are you satisfied with the brightness of it?

Like I said, I bought MTEC 2x Cosmos and I could not see anything on the road. Very Dim...
Old 06-04-06, 03:53 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I got the MTEC 2X Super White H11. Its stock 55W. I wouldnt dare run 85W out of the harness... I dont want it to melt.

As for brightness... Its only ok. It lights up the road enough... I do wish they were a little brighter... It doenst provide as much "light" as the stock OEM bulbs but they are whiter... so give some get some... They do shine enough ahead so thats not the problem... it seems like the light is not as dispirsed as the OEM yellow ones.

I also have the same ones for the Fogs and combined they seem to be good.

I'm not sure if you've seen these pics...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=17

I have PIAAs Xtreeme Force 4700K bulbs on my BMW Fogs and those are MUCH better gives off a lot more light than the Mtec bulbs... Whiter and more light. I guess it really is what you pay for. The PIAAs were $70. and the Mtech were only $25.

PIAAs are also 12V 55W and those havent burned the BMW Harness yet. But then again I know BMW uses higher guage wires in their cars than Japanese does... as least compared to Honda so I trust the BMW wires. So if you really are looking for brighter bulbs I would say go with PIAA but for that price I might as well go for HID kit. Thats why I'm trying out the Mtecs first.