Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID Kits/Retrofit-Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 02:16 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Kits/Retrofit-Ticket?

After talking to a family friend (police officer) i was told that anything besides stock lightbulbs are legal for my 1995 es 300 which did not come with the hid option. However, i was told the same thing about tinting my side windows and have never been ticketed. Are HID kits/retrofits legal in your state and if not, how many times have you been pulled over for this reason. Thanks
Old 07-05-06, 02:24 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u retrofit projectors into your car properly and being your in a lexus a cop wont think twice about it.
Old 07-05-06, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
After talking to a family friend (police officer) i was told that anything besides stock lightbulbs are legal for my 1995 es 300 which did not come with the hid option. However, i was told the same thing about tinting my side windows and have never been ticketed. Are HID kits/retrofits legal in your state and if not, how many times have you been pulled over for this reason. Thanks
you mean illegal right?

that's true, anything but stock bulbs (or legal direct replacement that's dot approved) are all illegal, including hid kits. even for lexus that's no exception

and never ticketed doesn't mean it's legal. i mean, i am sure tons of people out there speed every day and never got ticketed

but with that said, unless you put on something like 8000k hid kits, i think you are just fine
Old 07-06-06, 08:35 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the new law that started this year stating that vehicles not equipped with HID's from the factory could not install HID kits. It's because of all the stupid ricers out there running 10,000K HID kits in their reflective housing headlights and blinding everyone on the road. But to be honest with you, if you install the kit correctly and aim the bulbs down or maybe even do a retrofit with projectors (cuttoff lines are amazing), you shouldn't get any crap from cops. They figure it's a Lexus and it was probably a factory option.
Old 07-06-06, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I believe the new law that started this year stating that vehicles not equipped with HID's from the factory could not install HID kits. It's because of all the stupid ricers out there running 10,000K HID kits in their reflective housing headlights and blinding everyone on the road. But to be honest with you, if you install the kit correctly and aim the bulbs down or maybe even do a retrofit with projectors (cuttoff lines are amazing), you shouldn't get any crap from cops. They figure it's a Lexus and it was probably a factory option.
not this yr, but that's been a low since long time ago
Old 07-06-06, 10:18 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Lexus can legally add hid lights to a vehicle if it had that option for the model year.
They figure it's a Lexus and it was probably a factory option.
The problem is, my car is old (1995) so yeah......
I think I'm going to go with the hid kit with my stock projectors. I heard from somewhere i needed to make modifications to the headlights in order to make the hid bulb fit??????? These are pretty expensive (for a high schooler) and I don't have a lot of technical skills.
Old 07-07-06, 11:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

My car came with HID stock, but I retrofited projectors because I like the cutoff

I haven't been pulled over so far (which has been months since i retro'ed). When I'm driving, the cutoff line is below other car's side mirrors, so I know it's not reflecting in their eyes, or the opposing car. Basically it'll look like any other lexus that came with projectors

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

MUAHAH
Old 07-08-06, 01:40 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like the majority of mods on our cars, adding HIDs are illegal. Period.

However, as others have stated, unless you put in really blue/purple bulbs to standout or misalign the output beam, many law officers will not know if the HIDs are OEM or not. You should not get hassled (unless you are unlucky).
Old 07-09-06, 01:33 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Drocay
If u retrofit projectors into your car properly and being your in a lexus a cop wont think twice about it.
Hey guys...if its done right no one will know... If its blinding people like 99% of HID Kits out there you do run the risk of seeing the other blue lights in the rearview and I don't mean HIDs
Old 07-09-06, 02:20 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Hey guys...if its done right no one will know... If its blinding people like 99% of HID Kits out there you do run the risk of seeing the other blue lights in the rearview and I don't mean HIDs
I agree with Tiguy if properly aimed you wont have a problem my top cut off line on my Tsx retro is 2 feet high , when you adjust your lights always use the upper cutoff line as your reference point.
Old 07-11-06, 11:24 AM
Blk96Supra
Lead Lap

If you do anything to your car after it came outta the factory its illegal. But that dont stop us from tinting our cars, dropping them with coilovers or putting on some 19" wheels. HID's on a Lexus should be one of the last things to worry about as long as you keep it simple and not draw attention to it. Like everyone says keep it under 6000K and keep the beam low and your fine.
Old 07-11-06, 12:27 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i used to think the same until 2 weeks ago i was ticketed $218 for tinted front windows

every car i've owned up to now has had the front windows tinted because i'm tired of the heat/fading because i have no garage... 11 years and i've been in the clear... but it's now all caught up to me
Old 07-11-06, 01:51 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think sema managed to repeal that law with the nhtsa, they still keep the illegality of hid kits there but they say retrofits are legal now since they are oem components. well this is just the jist of it from reading the info, of course it says it in more technical terms. lemme see if i can find the link..
Old 07-11-06, 04:24 PM
Escobar
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm....all this talk makes me wonder if I'm going to get pulled over with my Q45 retrofits since they definitely don't look factory.
Old 07-11-06, 05:42 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They look factory...wait till you put them back on the car. If they ask say its a special sport designed headlamp and they only made a minute amount of sets lol

Quick Reply: HID Kits/Retrofit-Ticket?