Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Phillips Xenon 6000K HID ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 05:31 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phillips Xenon 6000K HID ??

I'm looking to purchase this 6000K HID Kit on eBay for $284 shipped, and I was just wondering if this is what will work in the SC giving it that white/pure light that BMW and Audi has? I saw a BMW 530i and I was amazed at how bright and white those lights are compared to my yellow/dull looking lights. I want to be sure that this is correct because I read horror storries with HID's actually burning the headlamps? Also, what is this about getting the Retrofit Kits? How does that work? My goal is I just want the same output that BMW, the STI, bright white lights put out.
Old 07-21-06, 05:45 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 323 Likes on 234 Posts

HID will give you bright light, but you won't get that purple/blue twinkle that the BMW HID or Audi HID has. Those projectors have special optics that give them that look. Using a HID kit with our stock projectors will give you the white light with a bluish tint, much better stock for sure, but you will also get a lot of glare and not as sharp a cutoff as a factory HID would be. search through the lighting forum about HID, there is tons of info there.

Or just read this: http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html
Old 07-21-06, 05:48 PM
Sweetser
Driver

ah, thanks for the info.. i'll do some reading.
Old 07-21-06, 08:27 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
HID will give you bright light, but you won't get that purple/blue twinkle that the BMW HID or Audi HID has. Those projectors have special optics that give them that look. Using a HID kit with our stock projectors will give you the white light with a bluish tint, much better stock for sure, but you will also get a lot of glare and not as sharp a cutoff as a factory HID would be. search through the lighting forum about HID, there is tons of info there.

Or just read this: http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html
I get that I have A8 projectors and everything from it to make 'em glow! LOTS of fabrication time though!
Old 07-21-06, 10:04 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

I have Philips 6000K HID Kit for 3 years now and still working great (knock on wood), IMO these are best next to retrofit HIDs.
Old 07-22-06, 05:56 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I get that I have A8 projectors and everything from it to make 'em glow! LOTS of fabrication time though!
Obviously with a retrofit you will get that

I'm curious as to how much it actually cost/how hard the fabrication was for your setup?

BTW: The A8 has my favorite HID in the world...anytime I see one on the road I can immediately tell its an A8 and then I just stare at the headlights
Old 07-22-06, 10:29 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Obviously with a retrofit you will get that

I'm curious as to how much it actually cost/how hard the fabrication was for your setup?

BTW: The A8 has my favorite HID in the world...anytime I see one on the road I can immediately tell its an A8 and then I just stare at the headlights
ohman i hate to inturrupt, but i retrofitted his headlight for him! wtf man!!!! no props for me? lol jk its all good. fabrication requires removal and dismanteling of headlights, fabricating a mounting bracket, resealing the lights and installing the new lights and some wiring, more if you have bi-xenon projectors, which i might ad are what are in his sc400. oh also forgot, you gotta aim them. the bracket has to have some sort of vertical and horizontal adjustment otherwise you are wasting your time.
Old 07-22-06, 10:32 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

hey ryan you should post those "before and after" pics if u still have em.
Old 07-22-06, 04:23 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by audi2nr
hey ryan you should post those "before and after" pics if u still have em.
I WAS going to give credit to you but I didn't want to ramble on but yes, this mad did an awesome job! I do have some before pics but I would have to dig deep The after pics are somewhere.... I'll look around some other time.
Old 07-22-06, 06:25 PM
Sweetser
Driver

How much would you charge me if I were to just mail both of my headlights in and have you do the retrofit A8 HID's and send them back for me to re-install the headlights?
Old 07-24-06, 04:03 AM
Sweetser
Driver

OK, I was thinking of buying that "plug-n-play" kit but now I am thinking twice after looking at this picture...

They said if I buy the 6000K McCulloch Phillips Xenon HID kit, and put them into factory housing, this is what other people will see. I'm guessing a conversion of my housing is the only way to go with these HID's...
Old 07-24-06, 05:57 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

No, that is not what you will see. That car must not have the same quality projectors as we do. Our SCs have projectors that are above average, and so a plug-n-play HID kit gives much better light output than that. Search the forums for pics of SCs with HID kits, LOTS of members have them. A HID kit in our projectors will give a bit of glare to oncoming traffic, but it will definitely not be as bad as that.
Old 07-24-06, 06:03 AM
PJ
Lead Lap

one of my phillips HIDs died this weekend . the 6000K are a little too blue for me, when i get new ones they'll be 4300k for the "stock HID" look.
Old 07-24-06, 10:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I dont mean to cut in here but this does not make sense:

"6000K McCulloch Phillips Xenon HID kit "

McCulloch kits does not use Philips components.

Be careful when purchasing on ebay.

Steve
Old 07-24-06, 04:15 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Here's the auction, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6000K...spagenameZWDVW

It says they're McCulloch with Xenon bulbs, I think they just put Phillips in there so when people search it, it pops up.

Quick Reply: Phillips Xenon 6000K HID ??