LED Accent Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 08:30 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Looks classy!

Ohh, *that* light lol. Yeah we do have one. You mean you used that as a power source? Hmm.. all this power source and grounding thing is confusing to me. I wish I was more interested in circuitry.

How visible are the light bulbs as you approach the car? I'm debating whether to have the lights hidden and just have the spot lights visible or have both the bulbs and the spot light visible.

tcheung, thanks for the link! That set seems pretty good. Too bad I just missed the August group buy on ScionLife! $40 still seems fairly reasonable though.
$40 is a deal!! I paid $55 for mine shipped, but it was intially $60 retail, just talk to him on JleviSW which is his AIM. Tell him I referred you and make nice with him, he'll deal you a good price. Great guy to do business with.

-tc
Old 09-14-06, 09:08 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tcheung,
Can you show me how you connected your LED flood lights? I got a set but I don't know which bulb to connect to. Are you connecting both the red wire and the black wire to both the door bulb and how did you run the wires in the door?

Thanks,
Old 09-14-06, 09:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcheung87
$40 is a deal!! I paid $55 for mine shipped, but it was intially $60 retail, just talk to him on JleviSW which is his AIM. Tell him I referred you and make nice with him, he'll deal you a good price. Great guy to do business with.

-tc
Yeah but $40 plus how much to Canada lol. Shipping cost to here will probably negate any bargain I get. I still haven't figured out how to connect on a Prius and I'm hoping someone over at PriusChat would know how to connect it to the dome light or ignition keyhole light or even the light in the front doors.
Old 09-14-06, 09:54 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

The dome light should be relatively easy to tap, if you remove your dome light housing, you can see what color the wire is and which way it is most likely heading. Since it has to head to a power source, it should head to the driver side front (usually down the A pillar). -- If you can tap that wire you can run it down the A pillar and through the dash under the steering wheel where you can connect it to a 12v and a ground. Then you have the option of drilling a hole in your floor (not for the weak at heart plus you'll need grommet to fit the hole to seal out water) or through the wheel well (less flush install unless you can neatly tuck the wires away. Run it around the car and you're good to go.
Old 09-14-06, 10:01 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for asking dumb questions, but I run the pair of wires to the dome light, do I connect one wire to one end of the light and the other wire to the other end as well or do I run the wire to the positive end of the battery and the negative to the (-), but how do I have it turn off when the doors are closed? Also, will it have enough power to run all the lights I'm connecting?

Thanks in advance, Tcheung
Old 09-14-06, 10:58 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HarrierRX300
Sorry for asking dumb questions, but I run the pair of wires to the dome light, do I connect one wire to one end of the light and the other wire to the other end as well or do I run the wire to the positive end of the battery and the negative to the (-), but how do I have it turn off when the doors are closed? Also, will it have enough power to run all the lights I'm connecting?

Thanks in advance, Tcheung
I am not really sure what you're asking, but the entry lights act according to your dome light if you tap that wire. Meaning if you press "unlock" then they will come on, if you press "lock" they will turn off. Open the door and they come on, and close the door they stay on until the dome light turns off. Useful because those are the times that you'll be getting in and out.

As for the wiring let me get an answer from my engineer uncle sometime soon and post it on the board, for now let's hope someone with electrical wiring experience can help you. You should visit the ScionLife link http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...17628&start=25 and read over his description, it's basically what I did for my RX.

Solder a wire with the existing dome light wire on the A pillar, and run it down to the floor, then solder another wire (ground) to the 12v supply (blue) at the power source under the steering wheel, run both the wires to the outside of the car and connect the + (tapped from dome) to the + line on the LED entry lights, and the ground - to the - of the line of LED lights. The LED lights come in a long string of wire with one side + and the other -, enabling you to connect them. I'm not entirely sure because I am a mess when it comes to electrical wiring, but I'll try to get back to you on this.

-tc

Last edited by tcheung87; 09-14-06 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-15-06, 01:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Hmm... ok. I guess I just have to beef up the courage to solder the correct wire and of course, eventually purchase the set of lights. So aside from the wheel well (no drilling through the floor for me), no other options of wiring? Cause I figured the wheel well would also have leaves and other crud flinged up by the wheels. Is the wire long enough to go up and over the firewall? Just trying to think of other ways to wire to the interior, that's all.
Old 09-26-06, 04:52 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Is the wire long enough to go up and over the firewall?
Old 09-26-06, 05:06 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks ricy to me, if it stays on constantly at night.
Old 09-26-06, 06:52 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikevanle
This looks ricy to me, if it stays on constantly at night.
The entry lights mimic the dome light and are useful that way. Since the dome light comes on only when people are entering/exiting the car i.e. hitting unlock/lock or opening one of the doors.

And Nextourer I believe they are long enough to go through the firewall but I'm not entirely sure. Ask the dealer, I'm sure he'll know or measure it for you.
Old 09-27-06, 12:19 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I intend to use it as entry/exit lights. Makes me wonder if I should even upgrade the door lights or not haha. Works well with the Smart Key hehe. My JDM Prius interior footwell lighting stays on for 15 seconds after the dome light turns off. Any way to mimic that?
Old 09-27-06, 06:55 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I intend to use it as entry/exit lights. Makes me wonder if I should even upgrade the door lights or not haha. Works well with the Smart Key hehe. My JDM Prius interior footwell lighting stays on for 15 seconds after the dome light turns off. Any way to mimic that?
Yes, if you can find the wire leading up to that bulb, just cut it and solder it back along with the wire of the LED entry lights, I believe you'd have to solder the + side of the LED string but you should be able to do it no sweat.

-tc
Old 09-28-06, 11:47 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

oh.. interesting. So in essence, instead of wiring it to the ignition keyhole light, I wire it to the footwell lighting? Just trying to make sure I fully understand. Cause I installed the footwell lighting by myself so I know where the wires are.
Old 09-28-06, 09:15 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

oh.. interesting. So in essence, instead of wiring it to the ignition keyhole light, I wire it to the footwell lighting? Just trying to make sure I fully understand. Cause I installed the footwell lighting by myself so I know where the wires are.
Yes, with electrical wiring as long as you correctly tap any wire you can draw the same effect of the original. So if you wanted them on whenever your headlights were on (for example) then you could tap your headlight wire. I don't advise having your entry lights on while driving at night though (no matter how much attention you like )

-tc
Old 09-29-06, 11:29 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

dang. I wished I had more interest in circuitry. Argh.

haha no. It's illegal here to drive with underbody lights on so that's okay. I get enough attention as is (or lack thereof?? since people can't hear me) driving the Prius in EV Drive mode.