Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

So I was looking for OBX sidemarkers on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 11:56 AM
GSLexi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I was looking for OBX sidemarkers on ebay

I came across what looked like a good deal, and exactly what I needed, until I started to closely inspect the pictures. On the box there is a sticker that says:
"Attention: (Disclaimer)
This auto lamp set is produced for offroad or show purpose only. This item is not suitable for regular driving..."

What is going on? Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-L...spagenameZWDVW
Old 09-24-06, 07:42 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

They all say that. I bought a set from eBay exactly like those. You shouldn't have a problem. Just depends on the bulbs you put in there.
Old 09-25-06, 12:48 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont think the clear ones are DOT approved.

We have cops here in Hawaii that give you a ticket for clear corners...even if you got amber bulbs in there.

Pete
Old 09-25-06, 05:36 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
I dont think the clear ones are DOT approved.

We have cops here in Hawaii that give you a ticket for clear corners...even if you got amber bulbs in there.

Pete

Sounds like the cops in Hawaii have a lot of time on their hands .
Old 09-25-06, 08:08 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Depending on the island yes some do. Oahu they are sometimes busy but the county cops on the island of maui, ive never seen them do anything important. Once my mother got pulled over in a rental jag XK8 convertible. something like 50 in a 30 or something i dont remember. I had to go to the police station in Lahina to get the frickin ticket from the cop because he forgot to give it to her even tho she had already signed it. I straight up told the cop he was stupid but all he could do is laugh because he knew it was true.

Anyways back to topic, The reason they say they are for offroad use only is because they are not legal, DOT-Approved side markers for street use. in NY State not having amber reflectors on the front corners is a violation of section 376 or something of the vehicle and traffic law.

These companies just put that warning on there to cover their asses from any lawsuit from someone who bought them taht got into an accident or given a ticket because the reflector wasnt amber. Depending on how strict your police are in the area you probably can get away with it.

Buy em, they will look nice and dont worry about it!
Old 09-25-06, 08:18 AM
GSLexi
Driver

Excellent, thanks guys! That is really strange anyways because I've seen plenty of cars with white sidemarkers! My dad just got his new X5 and the sidemarkers are clear. Anyways, the bulbs that come with the clears, how do they differ from the stock ones? Are the bulbs that come with the package good to go? Or do you guys prefer getting an entirely different set?