Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

My PIAA Xtreme White Plus Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 09:16 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My PIAA Xtreme White Plus Review

First off, I have a Black 1995 Lexus LS400. The headlamp consists of an H4 low beam, 9005 high beam, 9006 fog light, and a wedge bulb for the side indicator/parking light. I went ahead and decided to replace all of the stock bulbs to PIAA Xtreme White Plus since it was relatively easy for me to get (down the street is Super Autobacs) and that I was convinced that it gave me enough visibility for the road. At its temperature rating, it should supposedly give optimal visibility compared to their other line of bulbs. We all know Super Autobacs jacks up the prices on items, but I did not want to wait for bulbs to ship to me. I bought a pair of H4, 9005, 9006, and wedge bulbs on the spot for around $250 total. These were all under the advertised Xtreme White line of bulbs.

I'll put it short.

Well what can I say? It really is whiter and looks more refined for the car. You can see the blue portion of the bulb when looking at the headlamp which gives it a unique look. The light itself is not blue - it is nearly pure white with that hint of blue. I seriously thought about HID's for my car, but the reflectors aren't made for it. I could have bought a "conversion kit" for my H4, but it would be a little bit more expensive, and rewiring would be necessary for the high/low beam. I'd give it 8 out of 10 because I didn't really get the "holy ******" factor from it, but I am still happy that I have a more refined lighting system. Don't get me wrong, I love HID's so much and wanted that brilliant light it produces on cars with projectors. Projector HID is always the best way to go. But if you have regular halogen reflectors like I do, I think these bulbs are best for you if you want better visibility on halogens.

Here are a few pictures. I'll take some pictures of road visibility soon. These are only pictures from the car. The pictures will show a slightly cooler color (i think i messed up on my camera settings), but is nearly pure white with a hint of blue in person

About 10 feet from the car (fogs on)

Less than 5 feet from the car (fogs on)

Side shot of the car (fogs on)

Side indicator/parking lights on (this looks SO MUCH BETTER than before)

Low beam and side indicator/parking lights on

Low beam, Fogs, and side indicator/parking lights on just for reference (fogs are pointed down so you dont get any glare from up top - looks the same as the above)

sorry if this is a ****ty review hah
Old 10-15-06, 09:56 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I can't tell the difference between low and low + fogs lol. Hell, I don't even know where your high beams are. Looks good though!
Old 10-16-06, 08:11 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would you consider the "light on the ground or down the road" the same or an improvement over the original halogen lamps ?
Old 10-16-06, 08:34 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to have these for my lows (9006) and they were awesome. Put a lot of light on the ground as well as down the road and gave your headlights that pure, clean white. Great bulbs but PIAA is expensive for that reason.

-tc
Old 10-16-06, 12:37 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tammy, it's a personal judgement call. I honestly would have to say that it gives a little more light coverage (could be just a placebo effect =D), but it is definitely not significant compared to the HID's light coverage. The halogen reflectors would have to be modified if more area is needed, which is of course unheard of. However, I leave my fogs on everytime I drive, so it essentially gives more light on the road overall. As long as my fogs stay on, I am good to go. Good thing is no glare compared to those HID conversion(not referring to retrofits) kits!!

more pics available soon with highs on and stuff