Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

GS Non-HID to HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 09:43 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS Non-HID to HID Conversion

I am interested in converting my non-HID equipped GS400 to HIDs. Here is my thought process: purchase a set of brand new Green tint headlamp assemblies and then purchase a HID kit from XenonDepot through the Group Buy thread. Would this be the correct way to go about things? I want to make sure that the light pattern is similar or better than the factory HID light pattern. Does anyone have recommendations on a better/similar priced way to do the converson? Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Would my thinking work?
Old 11-08-06, 09:52 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default HID Conversion!

Originally Posted by BoostAddct
I am interested in converting my non-HID equipped GS400 to HIDs. Here is my thought process: purchase a set of brand new Green tint headlamp assemblies and then purchase a HID kit from XenonDepot through the Group Buy thread. Would this be the correct way to go about things? I want to make sure that the light pattern is similar or better than the factory HID light pattern. Does anyone have recommendations on a better/similar priced way to do the converson? Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Would my thinking work?
Your on the right track! I did this same conversion with some Sport Design HID's earlier this year! Make sure the Housings are (HID) housings! Putting HID bulbs in a non HID housing would not give you the correct light pattern! You will still need the HID bulbs depending on what type your getting(4300,6000k,etc.! From what I've been told the Xenon HID kit is pretty good! Good luck!

You should be able to find a wealth of info here in the lighting section on this project by using the search engine!
Old 11-08-06, 11:18 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostAddct
1. Is cost a factor? If not, why not just get the OEM ballast and some D2R bulbs in the color temp you want. These will hook up with a few splices. The OEM ballast will mount below the housings, as designed.

2. Get the green tint only if you want green. There were OEM hids with different color housings.

3. If you stay with the OEM housings, the light pattern will be what it is. It won't better or worse than the OEM HIDs.
Old 11-08-06, 12:53 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I'm planning. OEM housings ballast\4300K bulbs\wiring adapter. I don't need the autoleveling computer connected (would cost too much to install)..Good luck and keep us posted...
Old 11-09-06, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
1. Is cost a factor? If not, why not just get the OEM ballast and some D2R bulbs in the color temp you want. These will hook up with a few splices. The OEM ballast will mount below the housings, as designed.

2. Get the green tint only if you want green. There were OEM hids with different color housings.

3. If you stay with the OEM housings, the light pattern will be what it is. It won't better or worse than the OEM HIDs.
agree, if you do it, might just as well get the whole housing with ballasts and bulbs
Old 11-10-06, 09:05 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i did this a while ago here is my thread that might help you out
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...alling+hid%27s
Old 11-10-06, 10:42 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am going to be doing this conversion over the weekend. COMPLETE oem hid headlights, bulbs, and ballasts. all i need to convert is the factory hid plug off the headlight and splice in 9006 male plugs (which i bought from suvlights.com) and it should plug right up and work. a few on here is saying you need relays but a lot of people that have did the conversion on here says you don't need to either.