Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Couple of HID Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 07:52 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Couple of HID Questions...

This isn't specifically Lexus related, but I'd greatly appreciate any input! I have a Montero/Pajero I would like to install a bi-xenon HID kit on and I'm looking mainly at 4300K, although 5000K is a consideration. I was just wondering what the experts would recommend I go for?
Also, I came across a bi-xenon kit on eBay which got me thinking. As far as I'm aware a bi-xenon system has xenon low and high beams, but according to this listing:

Is this a bi-xenon kit?
Yes, this is a bi-xenon kit that utilizes xenon low beams and halogen high beams, which is identical to ALL European OEM bi-xenon systems (i.e. - Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc.). If you look at any European vehicle with OEM bi-xenons, you will see that they use halogen high beams as well. The reason that OEM European vehicles use halogen high beams is because real xenon high beam bulbs burn much hotter than low beam xenon bulbs to achieve a brighter light and eventually begin to burn the plastic headlight housings of cars. We used to sell the bi-xenon kits that had an actuator move the bulb to switch from low beam to high beam, but we discontinued to sell them after customers had a very difficult time with fitment and had issues with the moving actuator parts breaking down over a few months time leaving the customers unable to use their high beams to pass their state inspections. The bi-xenon kits that we sell now are incredibly easy to install and do not have any moving parts that break over time.
it isn't the case. Is there any truth to the seller's claim? Thanks a lot!
Old 11-30-06, 08:40 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

I am pretty sure BI-xenon isnt in the bulb/ballast/or ignitor which is what you maily get in this kit. The bixenon function is more in the Housing (projector, reflector bulb and cutoff shield) mainly the cutoff shield (which is what restricts and focuses light) so that you dont blind oncoming traffic, this is also what makes the cutoff, in conjunction of course with the projector lens, and reflector bowl I gues

He is right cars equipped with bixenon still have halogens but not as high beams. Halogens are only used as "flash to pass" only reason for this is because xenon shouldnt be turned on and on rapidly and require several seconds to warm up.

Bixenons use the same xenon bulbs for both high and low. The only thing that happens when you hit "high Beams" with bixenon is indeed an actuator is triggered and pulls away the cutoff shield, so you now have unrestricted light and NO cutoff.

So the bulb doesnt really do anything however if you think about it regular xenons have a cutoff which restricts light probably by almost half, so when that shield goes away, you are almost getting double the light. and alot more light to the left of your car where light usually is most restricted in order to not blind oncoming traffic.

And to the other statement the seller said about melting housings:
Maybe in cheap housings or headlights, but I doubt any OEM headlights would have, and have not heard them have this issue.

ALSO, I have yet to hear of a BIxenon kit that is 100% reflector and has no projector. ONLY way I think to get this from a car, that doesnt come equipped with projectors, is using TWO HID/Xenon kits, one for lows and the other for highs. I dont think actuators can or have been applied to a reflector type design.

But then again I could be wrong lol, but I think for the most part I am giving you pretty accurate information. Lets see if some of the HID retroers tune in, these guy know Xenons like the back of there hand.

IN the mean time I would wait to buy from this guy, he sounds like he is full of ISH, and just wants to make some paper, by fooling people into thinking they are buying the "best"

Good luck with the headlights and make sure you post some pics when you get some put in!!!

Last edited by DonJuan45i; 11-30-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 08:56 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

also as fcar as recommendation, it depends on your budget. You could send your headlgights to someone reputable and have them retrofitted with TRUE bixenon projector assemblies. this would give you the BEST results and light. However prices range greatly, mainly depending on the projectors you pick, which can range from $100 up to about $400,

then you have to add bulbs(4300k or the color of your choice ie 5000k), ballast(and ignitor which are sometimes included in the ballast),
and a proper wiring harness(so that you dont have an electrical melt down)

you could buy an aftermarket HID kit and harness for about $200 (even less) nowadays I think. You have to remember tho quality is directly related to price.

THEN you have to pay somebody to do it (if you dont do it yourself) which usually runs about another $300

SO add all that up and you could range any where from ($500 installed with a cheaper kit and projectors) up to about $1000 for top of the line HID components.

But if you just want a little more color and more light on the road and arent too worried about cutoff/projectors etc, you could slap a kit in your car(make sure you get bulbs that closely rememble your stock bulbs)
for about $300 for a pretty decent kit, however I am pretty sure it will NOT be bixenon, but would be an impressive upgrade from halogens.

There is a lot more things that you could keep in mind like purchasing whole new headlights, or even buying aftermarket headlights that already come with projectors and just slapping in a HID/Xenon kit, and call it a day, all sorts of options.

but I think I covered a lot of the basics lol.
Old 11-30-06, 09:14 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

DonJuan45i, thanks a lot for the explanations! I think I pretty much got my terminology mixed up...I was under the impression that "bi-xenon" meant a dual beam set up.
Anyway, I was actually looking into the idea of replacing my headlights, but unfortunately didn't come across one with projectors for the said vehicle. I've got (H4) Sylvania Silverstars on at the moment and all I'm after is more light on the road so to speak, so I'm not really after a high end, advanced kit costing thousands. As far as budget goes, I'm trying to stick to a maximum of $600. Whilst I'm pretty much determined to stick with 4300K, I still need my high beams. Looking through xenondepot.com, it says I will lose my high beam functionality with the H4 kit, as I have a single bulb for both low and high beam...and that is something I'm not wanting to sacrifice. If any of the experts here can lead me in the right direction with this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-02-06, 02:08 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

You could definitely do a retrofit for $600. But your best bet if you're going to get a retrofit is to do it yourself that way you can spend your money on good parts. You can get a decent set of projectors for less than $200. Then you can get an aftermarket HID kit for like $300 or less and sell the bulbs. Get new adapters for like $30. Some D2S HID bulbs for like $50. Get some shrouds for like $30. Get yourself a Dremel and go to work. I'm in the process of doing my own retrofit. It's not as hard as you may think but it is time consuming and locating the parts can be a tough task but you just have to be patient.
Old 12-10-06, 01:36 PM
JSC300
Driver

you lose the high beam function on the sc300's with the xenondepot 9006 kit?
Old 12-10-06, 01:56 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

9006 bulbs only have one purpose so no, you do not lose high beam functionality.

some kits on the market that replace dual purpose bulbs may only offer single purpose HID bulbs, in these instances, yes, the user would lose high beam functionality.