Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Are all manufacturer HID the same K rating?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 03:13 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all manufacturer HID the same K rating?

Yes, I know there has been some other topic on hid lights, but I don't think other have asked this.

Most people here state that the Lexus gives a 4300k (little yellow/white) with their cars. Does anybody else know what some other car makers put in theirs?
I'm pretty sure my uncles TL seems more blue (maybe 6000k?)

And the K rating is supposed to be the same with any brand too,right? Theres a local dealer saying he can put into my fogs a HID 6k light, but it would give off a slight aqua color. But its more white. And he has a 8k kit that would show some blue but again, its white and not anywhere near the pictures you see posted on any web site. He recomended I go with the 8k as it will be blueish looking but not dark blue or anything like how you see some of those "hid look-a-like hologen bulbs" are.
Old 12-23-06, 03:27 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
Yes, I know there has been some other topic on hid lights, but I don't think other have asked this.

Most people here state that the Lexus gives a 4300k (little yellow/white) with their cars. Does anybody else know what some other car makers put in theirs?
I'm pretty sure my uncles TL seems more blue (maybe 6000k?)

And the K rating is supposed to be the same with any brand too,right? Theres a local dealer saying he can put into my fogs a HID 6k light, but it would give off a slight aqua color. But its more white. And he has a 8k kit that would show some blue but again, its white and not anywhere near the pictures you see posted on any web site. He recomended I go with the 8k as it will be blueish looking but not dark blue or anything like how you see some of those "hid look-a-like hologen bulbs" are.
Not sure about what other companies put in their OEM, but I installed 6000K fogs, and they look blue/purple. IMHO I would not get the 8K fogs, but rather the 6000K as the highest K I would look at. The 6K fogs are the look I am sure you are searching for, and brighter than the 8K would be.

Plus after a couple hundred hours, the low beams color shift and you will be the look you want then from looking inside out. WHen you drive up on the GS from a distance, it looks white/blue. Have a friend or someone drive your car and you his/hers. And drive towards one another form a few hundred yards. You will see they are closer to the BMW look than you probably think. It's just looking from inside out, looks more yellow white, but really isnt from the outside...
did this help? oh well.

Last edited by Jace7; 12-23-06 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-23-06, 04:04 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

actually it does. It just thows me off when he tells me the 6k is a aqua color (like a green to light blue) and I really didnt want a green color. Of course, he didnt have one to show me.
Old 12-28-06, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

all factory hid, no matter which manufacturer, are 4100-4300k

honda s2k, acura tsx and tl, they look more blue that's all due to the projector design and the optics. the bulbs are still 4300k bulb. that's the only legal hid bulb out there
Old 12-28-06, 01:20 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

yup Im with the moderator only OEM ratings are 4100/4300k/4800k they are the only DOT approved kelvin temperatures, and the only oem bulb manufacturers are: the most popular Phillips, and Osram there are more like Koito and GE, as well as Sylvania (on the Mark VIII) but I have yet to see these used by any manufacturer. but the most widely used is the Phillips 85122 (D2S-projector) and 85126 (D2R-reflector) as well as the osram Xenarc 66040 (D2S) but now you have with all new cars mercury free versions of the same bulbs and ones with individual ignitors such as D1S/D1R, D4S/D4R which are 4800k OEM (recently approved)

also like mentioned above, a lot of guys get their brand new cars look at them and are disappointed when they dont see the colors that they see fom all the BMW's Mercedes, Acura's etc. this is because the color is produced in the cutoff in the light that is projected. the color in your car is more visible to oncoming traffic. they can see the wide spectrum of the colors emitted from your projectors.

here is a good picture, the blue band is where all the color is at. you can see how below it is regular 4100/4300k light. if you were to place your eyes on the blue line you would see all the color, and then if you placed your head where there is no color, go figure all you would see is white light.

also on top of that brand new cars are equipped with new bulbs, and new bulbs are always the whitest/yellowest they are ever going to be. As you use them and as they age, they will start to get more white, and start shifting to have a light purple/blue thats why they call them color shifted. philips and osram make a bulb so that in the event that one goes out, you can buy their 5000k and it will better match your other used bulb. that way you dont have one new white/yellow bulb and one colorshifted blue/purple bulb.

anyway that was a large FYI but as far as 6000k and 8000k, when it comes to cheap kits, it varies, you could have two kits right next to each other that both claim to be 6000k and one be more of a blue, and the other more of a purple. through my understanding the correct color for 6000k should actually be more of a purplish hint and 8000k should be the one thats more blue. also a lot of these aftermarket HID kits are made in uncontrolled enviroments and with uncontrolled materials so the results can variate from bulb to bulb. you could even get one bulb which has more color than the other.

but what is also happening is that since people would like the blue from the 8000k but are scared to go above 6000k because of the reduced output, a lot of manufacturers are simply labeling and selling there 8000k bulbs as 6000k.

People are starting to get informed and concerend with light output, and buying nothing more than 6000k, so these aftermarket manufacturers had to find a way to get rid of their 8000k's which were no longer selling as much, and we all know that these guys only want to make a quick buck, so all they care about is getting their money and providing you with bulbs, and they know most people wont take the time to return their bulbs.

only bulbs and ballasts that I buy are OEM, I believe GE is the only reputable manufacturer that makes 10000k bulbs, and philips makes a ultinon 6000k and also offers a colorshift 5000k. and osram makes oem 4300k and a colorshift 5000k

Last edited by DonJuan45i; 12-29-06 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 12:36 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
yup Im with the moderator only OEM ratings are 4100/4300k/4800k they are the only DOT approved kelvin temperatures, and the only oem bulb manufacturers are: the most popular Phillips, and Osram there are more like Koito and GE, as well as Sylvania (on the Mark VIII) but I have yet to see these used by any manufacturer. but the most widely used is the Phillips 85122 (D2S-projector) and 85126 (D2R-reflector) as well as the osram Xenarc 66040 (D2S) but now you have with all new cars mercury free versions of the same bulbs and ones with individual ignitors such as D1S/D1R, D4S/D4R which are 4800k OEM (recently approved)

also like mentioned above, a lot of guys get their brand new cars look at them and are disappointed when they dont see the colors that they see fom all the BMW's Mercedes, Acura's etc. this is because the color is produced in the cutoff in the light that is projected. the color in your car is more visible to oncoming traffic. they can see the wide spectrum of the colors emitted from your projectors.

here is a good picture, the blue band is where all the color is at. you can see how below it is regular 4100/4300k light. if you were to place your eyes on the blue line you would see all the color, and then if you placed your head where there is no color, go figure all you would see is white light.

also on top of that brand new cars are equipped with new bulbs, and new bulbs are always the whitest/yellowest they are ever going to be. As you use them and ase they age, they will start to get more white, and start shifting to have a light purple/blue thats why they call them color shifted. philips and osram make a bulb so that in the event that one goes out, you can buy their 5000k and it will better match your other used bulb. that way you dont have one new white/yellow bulb and one colorshifted blue/purple bulb.

anyway that was a large FYI but as far as 6000k and 8000k, when it comes to cheap kits, it varies, you could have two kits right next to each other that both claim to be 6000k and one be more of a blue, and the other more of a purple. through my understanding the correct color for 6000k should actually be more of a purplish hint and 8000k should be the one thats more blue. also a lot of these aftermarket HID kits are made in uncontrolled enviroments and with uncontrolled materials so the results can variate from bulb to bulb. you could even get one bulb which has more color than the other.

but what is also happening is that since people would like the blue from the 8000k but are scared to go above 6000k because of the reduced output, a lot of manufacturers are simply labeling and selling there 8000k bulbs as 6000k.

People starting getting informed and concerend with light output, and buying nothing more than 6000k, so these aftermarket manufacturers had to find a way to get rid of their 8000k's which were no longer selling as much, and we all know that these guys only want to make a quick buck, so all they care about is getting their money and providing you with bulbs, and they know most people wont take the time to return there bulbs.

only bulbs and ballasts that I buy are OEM, I believe GE is the only reputable manufacturer that makes 10000k bulbs, and philips makes a ultinon 6000k and also offers a colorshift 5000k. and osram makes oem 4300k and a colorshift 5000k
Very good info!
Old 12-30-06, 12:07 AM
AudiMan
Driver

I have a 6k D2S kit in my Audi and OEM in the Lex. The Lex has better light output but the Audi's look better. But i must concur on the above information. It is correct! I dunno why people get erections over a lil blueish/purple cutoff from german automakers and now nissan, infiniti, and acura are all creating a similar design projector. Eh well, its all the same at the end of the day. The Xenons on the TSX will be just as good as the ones on the CLS63.
Old 12-30-06, 12:20 AM
LexFather

Good info here but moved to our lighting secion.