Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Interior lighting: COLOR CHALLENGE

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 08:43 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Interior lighting: COLOR CHALLENGE

So I'm gonna do all of my interior bulbs a different color than stock.

After reviewing superbrightleds.com I've found that you can do it in a couple different colors.. the ones that I'm considering in my black on black 02' GS are:

Red
Blue
White
Ultraviolet (blacklight)

Now an important question to ask is 'how do the UV blacklights look?'

I've had those stupid purple bulbs that you can plug into any old light bulb fixture that claim to be blacklight but don't have the same effect. I'm assuming thats how these are?

I'm going to order these tonight or tomorrow so everyones input is much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-05-07, 11:29 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

sry didnt realize someone else has the same topic up.. im still curious about the ultraviolets tho :-/
Old 01-05-07, 12:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i plan on doing a combination of UV/purple in the door lights and blue in the F+R dome lights and under the seats/dash. superbright whites in the visors and maplights tho.

my LS is also black on black.
Old 01-05-07, 02:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

So you wanna have a challenge, eh?

Old 01-05-07, 05:30 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha I have Blue Domes in my car, I love it
Old 01-09-07, 10:45 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

UV Led's are in fact outputting UV-A which should be in the 345 to 400nm range. But this is bad. While you do get some "blacklight" effect with the glowing white clothes and such, the UV output is bad for your eyeballs. You should not be looking at them or have them pointing directly at anyone. These lights have little visible output so while you think that dim purple is not hurting you, the invisible UV spectrum is. And remember LEDs shoot a lot of energy from a single point. Looking directly at a UV led at full blast is quite a dose of damaging energy.

The shorter UV-A wavelengths (315-345nm) are used for tanning. [!]

You don't want this stuff fired at your retinas.
Old 01-09-07, 10:50 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

I tan anywhere between 10 - 20 minutes every other day without goggles, just closing my eyes and my visions fine... I'm also 21 and probably will end up going blind by 25 ... the UV bulbs would be for the footwells and the dome light which is only on for a few seconds before i start my car.. I ended up ordering a white dome light, white door ilghts.. white footwells.. and then 2 #74 uvs to test out to see if i like them in the footwells or maybei ll end up puttin them in the ignition and glove box just for shiznitz
Old 01-09-07, 11:25 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

LOL well I don't recommend staring into the tanning lights either but remember the LED emits much more radiation per given area than a tanning bed. But at least your eyes are closed, eh?

The footwells should be fine as they'd be pointing down and the dome is never on although I wouldn't look up at them at night too much when your pupils are dilated.

I got all white LEDs in my interior and it works nice.
Old 01-09-07, 03:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

superbrightleds had this bulb which was a red/blue bulb emitting PURPLE (not UV) light. it was like a blended diode thing
Old 03-11-07, 03:13 AM
huerdo623
Pole Position

Default Did anyone ever do the blacklight leds in the interior

If so do you have pix to show what they look like?
Old 03-11-07, 11:38 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
UV Led's are in fact outputting UV-A which should be in the 345 to 400nm range. But this is bad. While you do get some "blacklight" effect with the glowing white clothes and such, the UV output is bad for your eyeballs. You should not be looking at them or have them pointing directly at anyone. These lights have little visible output so while you think that dim purple is not hurting you, the invisible UV spectrum is. And remember LEDs shoot a lot of energy from a single point. Looking directly at a UV led at full blast is quite a dose of damaging energy.

The shorter UV-A wavelengths (315-345nm) are used for tanning. [!]

You don't want this stuff fired at your retinas.
thats why when you put a black light in your scorpion (Centruroides flavopictus) tank, it burns out their retinas. then they cant sting you.
Old 03-11-07, 11:39 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SupermanGS
I tan anywhere between 10 - 20 minutes every other day without goggles, just closing my eyes and my visions fine... I'm also 21 and probably will end up going blind by 25 ... the UV bulbs would be for the footwells and the dome light which is only on for a few seconds before i start my car.. I ended up ordering a white dome light, white door ilghts.. white footwells.. and then 2 #74 uvs to test out to see if i like them in the footwells or maybei ll end up puttin them in the ignition and glove box just for shiznitz
i bet you have a lovely vibrant even skin color, but you should really wear goggles. i read somewhere that vision was important.
Old 03-16-07, 11:28 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

I only have the white LED's in my car... Re-did the whole interior with white LED's from superbrightleds
Old 03-16-07, 02:10 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pics anyone? i want white leds in my gs
Old 03-16-07, 03:04 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

I could take pics of my bulbs but they are all polarg's. The led's I bought for the map lights were ugly in my opinion. They looked more blue.

Quick Reply: Interior lighting: COLOR CHALLENGE