Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

my low beams look like tunnel vision

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 10:27 AM
Chardon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help

Where do I get an HID conversion kit? Maybe that would solve my problem? I just bought a 2007 ES350 and at night I can only see about 3 feet in front of the car on the low headlights. Above that is a bouncing black line and solid dark over the line. Can only see about the lower third of the car right in front of me. Took it back to the dealer who said it was fine, the way it was supposed to be. I think it's an accident waiting to happen the way it is now.
Old 02-12-07, 11:22 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chardon - sounds like your car came with HID - maybe you can have the dealer aim them up a little more? either that or just aim them up yourself - i'm sure the info is in the manual.
Old 02-12-07, 03:35 PM
Chardon
Driver School Candidate

Default HID AFS Headlight Problem

Ok, I guess the last thing I need is an HID Conversion Kit. I thought it meant a kit to 'fix' the lights where you could see at night with them.I would sincerely like to be able to see more than 5 feet in front of the car. Took it back to the dealer who looked at it, and then told us he turned the AFS off and it would be ok. It wasn't, just the same with or without the AFS on. Took it back the next day and asked him if he would raise the headlights, since they appear to be way too low. He said the Lexus company wouldn't let them do that, but refused to give me a written statement saying that. I am waiting to hear back from the 1-800 Lexus customer service, who said if the lights were 'in spec' there was nothing they could do. I also filed a report with the National Transportation Safety Dept. This car is an accident waiting to happen and I feel sure there are other cars with the same problem. I drove a 1991 Lexus 400 for 16 years with no problems, so I am in shock about this headlight problem.
Old 03-10-07, 08:53 AM
TxPres
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chardon
Ok, I guess the last thing I need is an HID Conversion Kit. I thought it meant a kit to 'fix' the lights where you could see at night with them.I would sincerely like to be able to see more than 5 feet in front of the car. Took it back to the dealer who looked at it, and then told us he turned the AFS off and it would be ok. It wasn't, just the same with or without the AFS on. Took it back the next day and asked him if he would raise the headlights, since they appear to be way too low. He said the Lexus company wouldn't let them do that, but refused to give me a written statement saying that. I am waiting to hear back from the 1-800 Lexus customer service, who said if the lights were 'in spec' there was nothing they could do. I also filed a report with the National Transportation Safety Dept. This car is an accident waiting to happen and I feel sure there are other cars with the same problem. I drove a 1991 Lexus 400 for 16 years with no problems, so I am in shock about this headlight problem.
I had the same problem with my 2006 LS430, especially compared to my previous 98 LS400. The dealer was no help. The solution was to raise the headlight aim myself. The owners manual tells you how. I raised the right side a little more than the left. Real easy. Just requires a long shaft phillips head screwdriver. I did make sure that I did not raise it too much so as to blind oncomming cars.