Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Best place to get quality HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 12:31 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best place to get quality HIDs?

I have been looking at HID Planet but they won't return my emails.

I am looking for something simple that I can install on my own - plug and play - but dont want crappy quality. I am not interested in spending a little less at THE BAY to end up with not so hot quality.

Please let me know where I can find what I am looking for. Thanks for your time!
Old 02-11-07, 01:46 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bmw retrofit... the best possible option. you can do it yourself if you have the patience.
Old 02-11-07, 01:58 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

Question

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
bmw retrofit... the best possible option. you can do it yourself if you have the patience.
What is the difficulty level of such a project? How long would it take for a first timer?

How much does the parts or kit cost me? And are those also at HID Planet?
Old 02-11-07, 02:06 PM
gario
Rookie

Personally I'm not a fan of the bmw projectors, however I am doing a tsx retrofit on my headlights. It's not difficult at all and once you have the projectors and HID kit, the rest is chump change and elbow grease. Make sure when you order your HID kit, you get a 9006 harness and the correct bulb for your retrofit projector (usually d2s). I'll post pictures once I'm done.

cost for me was:

$150 shipped for a pair of TSX projectors on ebay
$180 shipped for a 6000k 9006 kit with D2S bulbs
$1.50 of scrap acrylic at lowes
$2.00 of bolts, washers and nuts
$10.00 on rubbing, polishing compound to clean the headlight housings, 2000 and 1500 grit to deline and smooth out the headlight covers.

It takes a little while, but not very difficult. You'll need a drill and dremel to cut the acrylic to make an adaptor plate that fits the tsx and sc300 housing together.

Last edited by gario; 02-11-07 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-11-07, 02:13 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

Are there any options that don't include the hand cutting acrylic? I am not really skilled in such a process.

Can I just use my stock projectors? Or purchase some that just bolt in and replace mine?
Old 02-11-07, 02:45 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

go ahead and use the stock projectors if you want to have a beam pattern all over the place.

the best way to do this is to do exactly what gario just told you, TSX projectors are a popular replacement for ours when retrofitting.

i personally am not skilled at it either, so either figure it out yourself doing it the same way or spend the extra bucks to have someone else do it and save yourself some frustration, its your call.

there is no shortcut though if you want to do it right
Old 02-11-07, 03:22 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gario
Personally I'm not a fan of the bmw projectors, however I am doing a tsx retrofit on my headlights. It's not difficult at all and once you have the projectors and HID kit, the rest is chump change and elbow grease. Make sure when you order your HID kit, you get a 9006 harness and the correct bulb for your retrofit projector (usually d2s). I'll post pictures once I'm done.

cost for me was:

$150 shipped for a pair of TSX projectors on ebay
$180 shipped for a 6000k 9006 kit with D2S bulbs
$1.50 of scrap acrylic at lowes
$2.00 of bolts, washers and nuts
$10.00 on rubbing, polishing compound to clean the headlight housings, 2000 and 1500 grit to deline and smooth out the headlight covers.

It takes a little while, but not very difficult. You'll need a drill and dremel to cut the acrylic to make an adaptor plate that fits the tsx and sc300 housing together.
I promise to save your life one day if you do a DIY pictorial of your work. I want to do the HID mod next but don't have the $ to have somebody do it for me.
Old 02-11-07, 03:25 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
go ahead and use the stock projectors if you want to have a beam pattern all over the place.

the best way to do this is to do exactly what gario just told you, TSX projectors are a popular replacement for ours when retrofitting.

i personally am not skilled at it either, so either figure it out yourself doing it the same way or spend the extra bucks to have someone else do it and save yourself some frustration, its your call.

there is no shortcut though if you want to do it right
I am willing to do it right, but prefer to spend the money to save myself the frustration.

I am in Sacramento, CA and wondering if there is a shop nearby that will do it or a member here with some experience that is willing to do it for a fair price??
Old 02-11-07, 03:26 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

While a PnP kit basically does the job I should have saved up a bit more and did a D2S proper retrofit instead. I don't have much of a problem with my cut off BUT the output of a dedicated D2S system seems a lot clearer and brighter than a PnP kit.
Old 02-11-07, 03:49 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slinger
I am willing to do it right, but prefer to spend the money to save myself the frustration.

I am in Sacramento, CA and wondering if there is a shop nearby that will do it or a member here with some experience that is willing to do it for a fair price??
yellow pages
Old 02-11-07, 04:08 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

Question

Were HIDs a manufactured option on the SC's? If so, did they use the same stock projectors? Does the dealership offer the upgrades?

If all that is possible, how do they compare to the retrofits that others are doing? Same, better, or worse quality?
Old 02-11-07, 06:11 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Were HIDs a manufactured option on the SC's? If so, did they use the same stock projectors? Does the dealership offer the upgrades?

If all that is possible, how do they compare to the retrofits that others are doing? Same, better, or worse quality?
no HID's ever came stock and it is impossible to upgrade through dealer
Old 02-11-07, 07:40 PM
IndecentSC
Lexus Test Driver

cqlight.ca are pretty good, two of my firends on the supra forums have them and they work really well. They are also PNP and only $200 and some change shipped to your door.

Tony
Old 02-12-07, 01:10 AM
bunta
Pole Position

oem retro fit
Old 02-12-07, 01:29 AM
Maeve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're willing to spend some extra cash, then you can also ask/pay some CL members (who have done it) to do the job for you. It doesn't hurt to try. Send them PM and tell them your request.

Check the lighting forum, there are some guys posted their HID retrofit mod.

Quick Reply: Best place to get quality HIDs?