Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Aftermarket HID kit...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 02:47 PM
w0by
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket HID kit...

I bought an aftermarket HID kit for my car...it's a 4300k with dual-xenon bulbs.
It's supposed to be completely plug and play...which the wires are but then I was reading through the instructions and they want me to drill a 21mm hole in the rear cover of my headlamp to fit the bulb into the back of the lens? I can't believe that because now you won't even know if the bulb is sitting perfectly straight...and if you do get them in straight and you sell your car and you have to take out the HID...you have a larger hole in your factory lenses which are expensive to replace?

Anyone have this problem...or know if it still works? I really don't wanna get them installed if they're going to be drilling a larger hole into the back of my headlight lenses. Maybe I'm reading the instructions wrong?
I really hope I'm just reading the instructions wrong or something.
Old 03-04-07, 07:36 PM
Trippinond
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

You mentioned you purchased a dual beam kit. So my first question is what type of car is it for? I dont recall too many lexus cars having dual beam filament bulbs.

In regards to the drilling..I think you might have read the instructions incorrectly. Usually most kits will ask you to drill a hole in the dust cover..which is necessary if you want to continue using it. The way the halogen bulb is set up everything stays behind the dust cover but with hid you have additional parts such as the ballast and the igniter that need to be mounted and they wont fit behind the dust cover which requires you to drill the hole in the dust cover and run the wires thru the hole. You can avoid using the dust cover all together but probably not recommended.

Hope that helps.. also I would contact the company that sold you the hid kit and they should help you with any problems that your having.

Good Luck