Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

How big is the wedge bulb hole in the 2GS headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 12:03 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Default How big is the wedge bulb hole in the 2GS headlight?

Wondering if some 12 LED's would fit from ebay. Also, anyone try these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like it would match 6000k very nicely.
Old 03-14-07, 07:30 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I put a 5 led wedge bulb in the trunk.. It emits blue light and is pretty neat.. GL..

12 LED..
Old 03-14-07, 11:32 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What light are you going to replace? I believe it depends on which bulb you are going to replace. I forget who but someone has modified the rear courtsey light to use 12leds I believe
Old 03-14-07, 11:43 AM
chrispy

I'm wondering if it'll fit the running light hole in the headlight. Anyone know the diameter of the hole? People have fit 9 LEDs before in another thread.
Old 03-14-07, 11:50 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

That is really small. You may have some issues fitting a large bulb in there. I know people have had issues with the Polarg M6's. Since you are in CA you may have cop problems if you replace the wedge with LEDs. Im considering switching back to stock bulbs after some recent hassles. What ever you do good luck.

Last edited by pingu; 03-14-07 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-14-07, 12:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's the M6 that are harder to fit.

Generally, regular LEDs do not have the wide beam dispersion that regular bulbs like the polargs have. In our headlights, we rely on the highbeam's reflector to illuminate the housing. With LEDs, you have one hot spot where the bulb is at, unless you're lucky and find the right bulb. One of the reason why the Polarg M4 works so well is because other than the color, the focal point of the bulb is exactly like the OEM yellows. The bulb was positioned to where it would light up the reflector with optimal and even distribution of light. Changing that focal point and the degree of dispersion would change the output. I even tried the SMT-type LED, which offers wide dispersion, but I still get that hot sport. The housing almost didn't light up at all.
Old 03-14-07, 12:23 PM
chrispy

Thanks GSteg. I have 6000k bulbs and I was told the Polarg's won't match. That's why I'm hesitant to get them. I saw some pictures in another thread that showed some of the LED wedge lights match the 6000k better. What's SMT-LED? And what do you think of the bulbs in the eBay auction? The color is right.
Old 03-14-07, 03:07 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
That is really small. You may have some issues fitting a large bulb in there. I konw people have had issues with the Polarg M2's. Since you are in CA you may have cop problems if you replace the wedge with LEDs. Im considering switching back to stock bulbs after some recent hassles. What ever you do good luck.
I'm with pingu on this one. Being in CA, you gotta be careful of the police. Weigh your pro's/con's when attracting attention. I have polargs in my parking/bumper lights and wont mess with the DRL-left it stock.

either way, GL! btw, there isnt much space on the driver's side to get in there too!
Old 03-14-07, 03:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by ChrisES
Thanks GSteg. I have 6000k bulbs and I was told the Polarg's won't match. That's why I'm hesitant to get them. I saw some pictures in another thread that showed some of the LED wedge lights match the 6000k better. What's SMT-LED? And what do you think of the bulbs in the eBay auction? The color is right.
My polarg M4 are a little bluer than my 4300k light. It wont match the HID completely, but it lights up the housing very well. How blue is your 6000k bulb?

LED may or may not work. Some people have luck with them, and some people can't seem to fine the right one. Try the bulb in the ebay link. If it doesn't work, worse comes worse, sell it or replace the license plate light.

SMT-LED are Surface Mount LED. They aren't the normal bulb bulb with the glass over it. The diode itself rests on the surface of the circuit board. I guess you can say it's very similar to regular LED, but its a lot more efficient and brighter. I wouldn't recommend it for the headlights though.

*if I dont make sense, it's because i just woke up and i'm typing with my eyes closed.
Old 03-14-07, 05:53 PM
chrispy

Yeah, I think I'll just try those bulbs and swap them into the license plates or something if I don't like them. I think I have seen the SMT-LED's before. They don't spread very well but they're really bright. My 6000k bulbs are pretty white although they look really blue in pictures. I'd say pure white with a bit of violet?

Oh yeah, off topic but I can't seem to get my LS430 projectors to spread light like they do in your sig. Do you think it would be because my lens isn't clear enough?
Old 03-14-07, 06:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

SMT leds are generally used in flashlights. I took apart one of my many flashslights and it lit up the whole room (well light reached everywhere). Granted it doesn't light up the room like a regular bulbs, but for 1w, it lights up well .

My polargs is white, but with a light blue tint to it.

As for the LS430 light spread, my headlight lens have fine scratches. I doubt its the lens in this case.

Do you have an upclose picture of what your LS430 retro looks like?
Old 03-14-07, 06:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Nevermind I just saw it. Did you mount your projectors inward or something?

Do you have night shots of your car?
Old 03-14-07, 06:57 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
I'm with pingu on this one. Being in CA, you gotta be careful of the police. Weigh your pro's/con's when attracting attention. I have polargs in my parking/bumper lights and wont mess with the DRL-left it stock.

either way, GL! btw, there isnt much space on the driver's side to get in there too!
I have the Polarg M6 as my wedge bulbs in the front and yeah the driver's side was pain to get to.
But my question, will the cops out in Cali pull u over and give u a hard time if u have M4's or M6's in your car?
Old 03-14-07, 07:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The polargs looks white from a far distance. As long as the color is not super obvious red or blue, then everything will be fine. Never have I been pulled over for it. It somewhat matches my HID and my HIDs are OEM temperature. Loose close enough
Old 03-14-07, 07:09 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by GSteg
Nevermind I just saw it. Did you mount your projectors inward or something?

Do you have night shots of your car?

I know these pictures are bad but do the projectors look too "recessed?" Do you have any pictures of your setup? The night shots are really terrible and I think the camera settings made it look a lot darker. They are much brighter and wider in real life. They actually light up houses on both sides of the street. I'll try to get some better pics soon.

Quick Reply: How big is the wedge bulb hole in the 2GS headlight?