Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 10:13 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID recommendations?

well... i had this installer put in these japanese HID kit about 2 years ago... and its crapping out on me... we switched the ballast a couple of times but it still craps out...

now he's proposing to put in a different brand, but i don't trust him!!!

what brand HID should I be looking into? thanks
Old 03-16-07, 03:25 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Philips is usually the brand most people go with but I think they're overpriced and overhyped. I've had my McCulloch ballasts for about 1 1/2 years with no problems. I have my lights on all the time now since I did my retrofit about 3 months ago and never any issues.
Old 03-16-07, 08:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ballast you can get philips or others like hella, they are good.
Old 03-16-07, 10:01 PM
Carbon~IS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a simple PnP kit, I would recommend McCulloch as well. Good stuff for a fair price. I had 1 for 2years on the Mz3, and 1 for the RX330 for about 1.5 years.
Old 03-17-07, 08:39 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

**************** sells klight brand HID kits. most klight distributors offer klight kits without a wire harness that connects directly from the battery to the ballasts. the klight ballasts are powered directly from the factory electrical system which is VERY bad for your electrical system.

believe me - i've tested out my fair share of HID kits...

i did an install on a bmw 540i where the guy said his factory bulb plugs fit the ballasts perfectly and he insisted on not using the included wire harness that came with his kit. after we hooked it up, his dash lights, the power seats, the turn signals, cabin lights all stopped working. needless to say, i went ahead and wired up the wire harness for a direct connection to the battery and sent him to the dealership for diagnosis immediately after.

philips is good stuff but it comes at a high price... i picked up a philips kit from xenondepot.com a couple of years back and the bulbs that came with it produced A TON of glare. since then i picked up 2 kits from a diff manufacturer that i run in my lows and fogs and the results are fantastic. less glare, the bulb is constructed closer to the 9006 spec.

see below:

whatever kit you buy- make sure it has a wire harness with a relay and fused wired inline.

Last edited by cliffud; 03-17-07 at 09:04 AM.