Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Best HID kit for 2IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 04:34 PM
Eug421
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best HID kit for 2IS

Which brand would you guys say is the most OEM like and reliable?
Most people say Xenon Depot 4300K or 6000K kits. But then there are things they say about the flickering of the headlights or sometimes one of the headlights doesn't light up and have to turn them off and back on again.
Then some say there're a greenish hue if you use anything that are non philips bulbs. Just wanted to see what everyone thinks. Please list which kit you've, how long have u had it and any condensation issues, or green hue of any sort. Thanks so much in advance
Old 03-26-07, 08:08 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Xenon Depot 4300k kit and have no real problems thus far. Once I noticed that one light came on before the other for a second. I opened up the hood a few days later and noticed one of my balasts fell down because I temporarily used duct tape instead of double sided tape to test the connections only. Once I permanently mounted everything properly I never noticed the one light going on before the other again. Maybe the people reporting their lights not coming on or flickering have something loose? Regarding condensation issues. Actually I have had ZERO condensation in my lights and I live in the foggiest of the foggy section of the SF Bay Area and I never even replaced the dust covers at all, just left them off and they've been off for 5 or 6 months with not a trace of condensation. Cuz the dust covers are just that to block out dust. They were never airtight to begin with I don't think. I think people who have condensation problems must have their bulbs not secured correctly in the socket.
Old 03-26-07, 08:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

4300 is best for light output and is much brighter than 6000k
Old 03-26-07, 08:36 PM
juncho
Rookie

I've read in the IS board that some people were having issues with leaving their headlight setting on AUTO with aftermarket HIDs... do you have any issues with the AUTO setting?
Old 03-26-07, 10:49 PM
Ac93sc
Driver

I got 4800K Denso Koito ballasts HID kit w/ 9006 Rebased D4S bulbs LEXUS. this kit is the OEM hid for LEXUS and Toyota, it's plug and play and i don't have have any problem with it. the only thing that bother me is the "buzzzzzzzzzzz" sound from the ballast, it's noisy than aftermarket kit because the Denso kit built in ballast and ignitor. i checked my fd IS350 with fully load and the hid is same as mine and have the same buzz sound level, and for the auto setting it work normal for me i think because it's plug and play.
Old 03-27-07, 01:16 AM
Eug421
Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I have the Xenon Depot 4300k kit and have no real problems thus far. Once I noticed that one light came on before the other for a second. I opened up the hood a few days later and noticed one of my balasts fell down because I temporarily used duct tape instead of double sided tape to test the connections only. Once I permanently mounted everything properly I never noticed the one light going on before the other again. Maybe the people reporting their lights not coming on or flickering have something loose? Regarding condensation issues. Actually I have had ZERO condensation in my lights and I live in the foggiest of the foggy section of the SF Bay Area and I never even replaced the dust covers at all, just left them off and they've been off for 5 or 6 months with not a trace of condensation. Cuz the dust covers are just that to block out dust. They were never airtight to begin with I don't think. I think people who have condensation problems must have their bulbs not secured correctly in the socket.
Thanks for the info ba-b4 this really helps especially coming from someone living in the same area. Do you stay off of the auto on/off mode yourself?
Old 03-27-07, 01:18 AM
Eug421
Driver

Originally Posted by Ac93sc
I got 4800K Denso Koito ballasts HID kit w/ 9006 Rebased D4S bulbs LEXUS. this kit is the OEM hid for LEXUS and Toyota, it's plug and play and i don't have have any problem with it. the only thing that bother me is the "buzzzzzzzzzzz" sound from the ballast, it's noisy than aftermarket kit because the Denso kit built in ballast and ignitor. i checked my fd IS350 with fully load and the hid is same as mine and have the same buzz sound level, and for the auto setting it work normal for me i think because it's plug and play.
But I haven't seen any Denso Kits for H11s tho. Do you use it on a 2IS or something else?
Old 03-27-07, 11:16 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Eug412 -

D4S - Stock HID bulbs... people just replacing the bulb (they have HID already)
H11 - Aftermarket HID bulbs to replace Halogen (they dont have HID, and want them)

Denso kits are stock HID... I dont think they sell to public
Old 03-27-07, 12:44 PM
Eug421
Driver

Originally Posted by imaputz
Eug412 -

D4S - Stock HID bulbs... people just replacing the bulb (they have HID already)
H11 - Aftermarket HID bulbs to replace Halogen (they dont have HID, and want them)

Denso kits are stock HID... I dont think they sell to public
Yea that's what I thought. But thanks anyways
Old 03-27-07, 03:39 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eug421
Thanks for the info ba-b4 this really helps especially coming from someone living in the same area. Do you stay off of the auto on/off mode yourself?
I just turn it on and off manually when it gets dark. The most damaging thing to the HID's would be when you turn it from off to auto during daylight because on the way to the AUTO selection you have to bypass the ON. This makes it go ON then OFF right away if you do this in the daylight. If you do this at night or dark it shouldn't hurt it. Leaving it in auto is probably only bad if you drive through a tunnel or enclosed parking lot or something because even on a short trip of turning the car on then off the lights stay on for 30 secs afterwards on Auto mode which is a safe enough time for the HID's.
Old 03-27-07, 05:21 PM
Eug421
Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I just turn it on and off manually when it gets dark. The most damaging thing to the HID's would be when you turn it from off to auto during daylight because on the way to the AUTO selection you have to bypass the ON. This makes it go ON then OFF right away if you do this in the daylight. If you do this at night or dark it shouldn't hurt it. Leaving it in auto is probably only bad if you drive through a tunnel or enclosed parking lot or something because even on a short trip of turning the car on then off the lights stay on for 30 secs afterwards on Auto mode which is a safe enough time for the HID's.
True. thanks man I'll keep it on manual once I install them.
Too bad Xenon Depot's sale is over back to $404 instead of $354 now
Old 03-27-07, 08:16 PM
Ac93sc
Driver

Originally Posted by Eug421
Yea that's what I thought. But thanks anyways
I got the Denso hid kit for my sc300 which never came with HID, the kit was rebased to fit my car and it's plug and play. if you like more information just look up at HIDEXPERT.COM they can rebased HID kit to fit your car PnP.
Old 03-27-07, 08:34 PM
Eug421
Driver

Originally Posted by Ac93sc
I got the Denso hid kit for my sc300 which never came with HID, the kit was rebased to fit my car and it's plug and play. if you like more information just look up at HIDEXPERT.COM they can rebased HID kit to fit your car PnP.
Alrite man. I'll check them out