Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

GS 400 with LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 07:48 PM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a friend that has done the same thing. and they do put out a great amount of light. nice job. i wanna do the same thing to my 99 ls but i am not sure if it would put out that wide beam like yours would.
Old 04-01-07, 03:29 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenvy2k
i have a friend that has done the same thing. and they do put out a great amount of light. nice job. i wanna do the same thing to my 99 ls but i am not sure if it would put out that wide beam like yours would.
I dont think there should be a problem. I have seen the 99 LS and the headlight opening is just perfect for the LS430 projectors. Infact there would be nothing between the projector and the road but the headlight lens. I am planning to do another LS430 retro for one of my friend who has a 06 Honda Odyssey.

Also I see that you are from MD. My brother lives in catonsville. So if you see a GS with the LS retro down there then its the one pictured above .

Also keep your your eyes open for GS/LS460 Retro.

Here are some pictures i took earlier this month of the LS460 projector.

Last edited by JnC; 04-01-07 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-01-07, 01:21 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

How's the output on those? How do they compare to the LS430 projectors?
Old 04-01-07, 01:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

should be about the same
Old 04-01-07, 01:41 PM
JnC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSteg
should be about the same
Actually it isnt.. Looks-wise the ls460 projector takes the cake. Although the lens is bigger, 3" compared to LS430s 2.5" but it lacks the performance. LS430 projectors are by far better due to their ability to throw more light towards the corners and also have better range. One look at the LS 460s internals would advise that this is a better projector but it isnt, i am not sure what they were trying to achieve here. Lets just say that the LS430 projectors are the standard to beat right now and the LS460s fell way short. The person who i am doing this for is in love with the way this projector looks although i did suggest going with the LS460.

Some pictures of the internals of LS460 projector.

The lower reflector bowl, instead of being smooth as it is in the LS460 it has many edges to deflect light towards the corner.

This is what you see once you take the clear cover off.

Top part of the shield.

Cut off shield, instead of a DOT cut off the LS460 has ECE cut off.

The bottom part of the shield is afixed to the front, compared to being removeable as it is in the case of LS430. Notice the small holes to let the light down towards the reflector bowl. If you know the LS 430 projector shield you would know that it has one big hole to let light out rather then this case where you have a few small ones located at different positions.

The bowl, LS 430 projector bowl has a smooth mirror finish where as in this case it has a texture to it.
Old 04-01-07, 02:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I dont think there should be a problem. I have seen the 99 LS and the headlight opening is just perfect for the LS430 projectors. Infact there would be nothing between the projector and the road but the headlight lens. I am planning to do another LS430 retro for one of my friend who has a 06 Honda Odyssey.
actually i was planning on S2k or TL projectors. main reason for htis is because i want to KEEP the autoleveling system (i have OEM HIDs) and according to some people ive talked to the 430 projector is way to big since u need a smaller, lighter projector to allow the motors to move it.

if anyone could chime in it would be great but im not trying ot Hiijack the thread :x
Old 04-01-07, 02:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

actual light output is the same. The spread may be different but when you're sitting in the car looking at the road, the output is nearly identical. The wide beam doesn't really help at all. It's more for the cool factor. You have the A-pillars blocking your vision. A lot of projectors maybe look like they perform better than others, but when they're on the car, there is a point of diminishing returns. Better is subjective. I have a wider beam than my friend's TSX retro (different car), but actual performance that aids night driving is better on his car. I actually see more with his light than mine.
Old 04-01-07, 03:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
actually i was planning on S2k or TL projectors. main reason for htis is because i want to KEEP the autoleveling system (i have OEM HIDs) and according to some people ive talked to the 430 projector is way to big since u need a smaller, lighter projector to allow the motors to move it.

if anyone could chime in it would be great but im not trying ot Hiijack the thread :x
My GS came with OEM HID and I'm still retaining my autoleveling sytem. Yes the LS430 projectors weigh more, but it's basically sitting on the axis of rotation (for the reflector) so you're not asking the motor to push hard. The best way I can describe it is if you take a sea-saw and put 10lbs in the center. Now add on another 10lbs to the center. It isn't going to be harder to sea saw if all the weigh is sitting on the pivot point. Same with the LS430 projectors. It's not heavy as people make it seem to be. It's large and bulky, but mainly due to the shroud. But the shroud is very light. You wont have any problem adapting it to the autoleveling system.
Old 04-01-07, 03:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

My GS came with OEM HID and I'm still retaining my autoleveling sytem. Yes the LS430 projectors weigh more, but it's basically sitting on the axis of rotation (for the reflector) so you're not asking the motor to push hard. The best way I can describe it is if you take a sea-saw and put 10lbs in the center. Now add on another 10lbs to the center. It isn't going to be harder to sea saw if all the weigh is sitting on the pivot point. Same with the LS430 projectors. It's not heavy as people make it seem to be. It's large and bulky, but mainly due to the shroud. But the shroud is very light. You wont have any problem adapting it to the autoleveling system.
thats good to know

now just need to find someone whos willing to do it and see if i can afford them
Old 04-02-07, 02:02 AM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actual light output is the same. The spread may be different but when you're sitting in the car looking at the road, the output is nearly identical. The wide beam doesn't really help at all. It's more for the cool factor. You have the A-pillars blocking your vision. A lot of projectors maybe look like they perform better than others, but when they're on the car, there is a point of diminishing returns. Better is subjective. I have a wider beam than my friend's TSX retro (different car), but actual performance that aids night driving is better on his car. I actually see more with his light than mine.
I agree the width is a cool factor but ya got to admit the feeling you get when you are in the middle lane lighting up both sides of the highway or passing a 04 ls430 and making that guy say what the hell PRICELESS!!!!
Old 04-04-07, 11:14 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JnC
Whats up guys, long time browser but i hardly post. Here is a weekend project that i finished for my brother who has a 99 GS400. The projectors are out of an 04 LS430. They are not color modded and the lenses are original rather than the more popular TSX ones. I opted not to mod them because after a long debate on HIDplanet we all concurred that the LS430 projectors produce the best light when left in stock condition rather than the modded one. The retrofit was a breeze I was able to finish it over a couple of days but it did take about 3 months before i got to actually doing some work on it. /
Wow, another LS430/GS projector owner

What happens if you color mod the 430? Do you lose the light ouput dramatically?
Old 04-05-07, 12:00 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

The output should be the same, but cut off line a lot nicer....
Old 04-05-07, 02:53 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wow, another LS430/GS projector owner

What happens if you color mod the 430? Do you lose the light ouput dramatically?
After continuous discussions at HIDplanet we all concurred that with the TSX lens you get hot spots and light isn't spread out evenly. Also with the color mod the cut off doesn't light up properly with the light coming out of the bowl. Reason is that when you push the shield back a bit with washers it also pushes the hole in the shield, that lets the light down to the bowl to be reflected to the sides, back as well hence making the whole projector function improperly.
Old 04-05-07, 09:29 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice work
Would like a beam pattern like that out of my '97 LS.
Old 04-05-07, 11:45 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

nice retro, i love the light ouput and cutoff

Quick Reply: GS 400 with LS430