Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

OEM HID husing light output

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 10:45 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM HID husing light output

With all the drama and suspense on retofitting, i was wondering if anyone could please post a pic of the stock gs400 hid light output.
i am really cosidering between a rx330 retrofit and the stock gs400 hid housing and would like to know a few things.But, the rx330 retrofit has the inner housing painted black giving it that dark aggressive look which i don't think i like.
i currently have a plug and play and the output is better than halogen but would it improve it it were in a stcok gs400 hid housing?
i like the clear see-through look which the stock lens has.
please advise
Old 04-05-07, 01:28 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well i think you would be happy with just the GS400 stock HID's.. It would definitely be better than stock.. Beleive me its a night and day difference from my ES300 Halogen and then to my HID's.. I'm leaning towards the LS430 or TSX.. The TSX would be a step down from the 430 but its a big price difference also.. I know what retro your talking about. I would get them and then change out the projectors if you wanted to.. GL..
Old 04-05-07, 02:38 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're going from halogen to stock GS HIDs, you will notice a big difference! But like any other mod, you may get bored or used to it and want the clean, crisp cut-off lines that only projectors can produce and then want a retrofit afterwards. For me, there are two issues: money and time. Not only would I have to purchase a set of projectors, but pay someone to retrofit them into the housings. And since my GS is my DD, I would need an extra set of GS housings to send so my car isn't down for 2-3 weeks. It comes down to..... Benefits to you having a retrofit vs. time and money. For me, the added benefit of having the "updated" projector look and cut-off lines does not outweigh the money and time involved. For others though, it is worth it.
Old 04-05-07, 02:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
If you're going from halogen to stock GS HIDs, you will notice a big difference! But like any other mod, you may get bored or used to it and want the clean, crisp cut-off lines that only projectors can produce and then want a retrofit afterwards. For me, there are two issues: money and time. Not only would I have to purchase a set of projectors, but pay someone to retrofit them into the housings. And since my GS is my DD, I would need an extra set of GS housings to send so my car isn't down for 2-3 weeks. It comes down to..... Benefits to you having a retrofit vs. time and money. For me, the added benefit of having the "updated" projector look and cut-off lines does not outweigh the money and time involved. For others though, it is worth it.

Sounds like my situation.. I'm looking for a another set of HID lights..
Old 04-05-07, 09:05 PM
olddog
Pole Position

thing is, i already have a plug and play kit in my stock halogen housing and there are really okay. i was just wondering what output from a stock hid housing would produce.
its my daily driver too but all the retrofits i found ready to sell have their lens smoked or inner housing painted black thereby giving them that dark look. i like the clear look.
anyways, does anyone have pics of stock hid output?
thanks
Old 04-05-07, 09:39 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as stated, the light output for halogen to HID is no comparison. HID wins, hands down. Now that being said, the light output is mainly concentrated about 30 ft. in front of the car and no more. The side L/R output is comparable to halogen lights as there is no more light broadcast farther than normal.

Just picture your halogens about 70% brighter than they are right now. That is what the HID reflectors for the GS look like. They do not shoot light any farther or wider, just brighter.

If you want more of an impressive light show, go with the projector retrofit that you have been asking about.

People slow down to drive behind me just to look at how my headlights light up the road. I know they do. I have a pair of TSX projectors retroed into my 01 ES300.
Old 04-05-07, 09:47 PM
olddog
Pole Position

nice. thanks
Old 04-06-07, 05:03 AM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess there are a few of us in the same boat. I would actually really like to see some pictures as well. I have some stock HID housings on the way, but I am not sure if I want to spend the extra money and get them retrofitted, or just install them on my non HID car now.