Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Retro-fit TSX projectors or new Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 10:37 PM
JamaicanSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retro-fit TSX projectors or new Headlights?

Hey guys/gals I've been a member here for a little while now and really appreciate the help and advice that members give. My baby was a neglected child and now that she's found my home I'm trying to right all the wrongs. Now I realize that retro-fitting the TSX lens will be great, but I just know I will F it up lol and on top of that I can't adjust the headlights because the ***** seem to be broken. Hence my topic, do I just get someone to do the retro fit or get new headlights from the dealer since I heard the new headlights have a good cuttoff as well.
Old 06-03-07, 10:41 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

Retrofit some LS projectors or some TL projectors! It wont be as hard to retrofit projects like say the GS models because we already have spots to put projectors in.
Old 06-04-07, 12:21 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

False, the GS has plenty of room to fit LS430s or Q45 projectors. The SC is limited to smaller projectors, so I would go with S2K or TSX.
Old 06-04-07, 12:43 AM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisES
False, the GS has plenty of room to fit LS430s or Q45 projectors. The SC is limited to smaller projectors, so I would go with S2K or TSX.
I meant that the GS takes a lot more custom work to fit any kind of projector because of the fact that you have to cut most of the housing unlike how the SC already has spots for the projects so it takes a lot less custom work to get the nicer projectors like the TL or LS430's.
Old 06-04-07, 01:54 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not have any technical skill when it comes to retrofitting headlights either. If you can find someone who does good work and are willing to spend a bit of money, I would go with the retrofit. My 2GS already came with HIDs and it is "alright" for me. TSX or LS430 projectors would be nice but I don't want to spend a lot of money for the retrofit. If I had a non-HID 2GS and wanted to upgrade, I would definately go with a retrofit.
Old 06-04-07, 04:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

DO a search for the Q45 retro. For looks and output the q45's are a great buy.. GL..
Old 06-04-07, 10:47 AM
SOHKis
Pole Position

take a look over at my.is if you get in touch w/justin from AAC they can do a retro for you. they do great work, and you can see pics of all their retro's over there.

as far as size is concerned, s2k's are MUCH larger than the TSX projectors. it took me FOREVER to get my s2k's mounted so that they cleared everything while retaining auto-leveling and the rear OEM seal on my IS300. GL!
Old 06-04-07, 11:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rvaquino
I meant that the GS takes a lot more custom work to fit any kind of projector because of the fact that you have to cut most of the housing unlike how the SC already has spots for the projects so it takes a lot less custom work to get the nicer projectors like the TL or LS430's.
There's more work in installing Q45/LS430 in an SC than a GS. The GS mounts on the bowl and it has virtually no limitation on the shroud because the GS headlights have a huge open space in front of the reflector bowl. The SC already has the little circular cut-out, but that prohibits the use of the LS and Q45 because you'll be covering the projector's main features. In fact, it's borderline impossible to throw the LS/Q45 into the SC, at least not without killing the headlight
Old 06-04-07, 05:42 PM
JamaicanSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Seven0Tree
take a look over at my.is if you get in touch w/justin from AAC they can do a retro for you. they do great work, and you can see pics of all their retro's over there.

as far as size is concerned, s2k's are MUCH larger than the TSX projectors. it took me FOREVER to get my s2k's mounted so that they cleared everything while retaining auto-leveling and the rear OEM seal on my IS300. GL!
where is AAC?
Old 06-04-07, 06:04 PM
dopsc
Driver

Im assuming that you're trying to retrofit an SC. TSX will be nice, i really there output and if you color mod them, they can be really nice. But if you cant do the work, just buy 97+ headlight made in 2002 or newer and that would also work. Several people have done some retrofit from an Audi TT projector or they commonly known as bosch projectors. These would also work. I have a plug and play hid kit (6000k) and they look great too. My friends say they look like the bmw projectors. So many options, so it depends on what you want to do.
Old 06-04-07, 06:19 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Get yourself an extra set of headlights and some tsx projectors and start working on your retrofit. Take your time, measure twice and cut once.
Old 06-04-07, 07:51 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
Get yourself an extra set of headlights and some tsx projectors and start working on your retrofit. Take your time, measure twice and cut once.
+1
Old 06-05-07, 06:44 AM
SOHKis
Pole Position

AAC is a company that does retrofits. Justin is the guy to contact who is a member on the my.is boards. AAC stands for advanced automotive concepts. here's their website: http://www.aacstyle.com/

not sure how much they've done to SC's, but their craftsmanship and quality from what i've heard is outstanding for all their IS retrofits
Old 06-07-07, 12:41 PM
JamaicanSC
Rookie

I think I will go with DopSC's advice, and since the back of the headlights were already damaged I might as well get a new set and do it right. Thanks for the advice fellas....
Old 06-07-07, 05:19 PM
dopsc
Driver

If you get the newer headlights, get 6000k temp bulbs, HID plug and play kit for 9006 application, and you're set. The cut off isnt like the tsx/s2k, but i think you'll be happy with it unless you want to spend more money, lol. It really depends on how much you have, you can really do anything.

Quick Reply: Retro-fit TSX projectors or new Headlights?