Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 08:56 PM
Gariputo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID conversion help

I have a 04 GS 300 and want to convert from halogen to HID. What is the best kit out there to replicate a factory HID/Xenon look and light quality? Will leaving the stock headlamps in affect the light output? I have seen some people switching to a projector beam lamp, is this neccessary? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-07, 10:35 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

imo if you want best looking output plus the blue/purple hint..go with retro fits...beside that if u just want a simple upgrade nothing beats phillips system if u want oem look get the 4300k the spread is pretty good imo...if u want a hint of blue get the 6000k..beside that the other kits are just bad...the spread on the cheaper kit are just horriable...
Old 06-25-07, 11:25 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to convert from Halogen to HID, first, you need HID headlamps. Then an HID kit, purchase one from XenonDepot here. It comes with a wiring harness, so you don't mess up your stock ones. Retrofits are just so you get the clean cutoff line, wider beam spread, and more intense lighting due to the projector. Unless you have the money to pay someone to do it for you, or you can do it yourself, your best bet is to get a pair of stock HID headlamps.

This is the best way to convert your car to HID, rather than just buying a plug and play kit and blinding the hell out of people driving by them.
Old 06-26-07, 04:13 AM
Gariputo1
Driver School Candidate

So when you say retro, does that include new headlamps? Or is there a kit to do this with

Last edited by Gariputo1; 06-26-07 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-26-07, 08:38 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Retrofits are taking your stock headlight housings and putting a projector in them. It involves cutting up your housing so unless you are good with your hands and are not afraid of cutting your light I wouldn't try it. I would have someone else who has done it before do it for me. I have seen many GS's with a simple HID plug and play kit with their stock housings and the light output is good, doesn't blind oncoming drivers at all. Money is another factor. You can buy a quality HID plug and play kit with a lifetime warranty for as as low as $225 and it will look good or you can buy new HID headlights from Lexus for around $300 eacha dn still have to buy an HID kit or you can do a retofit where you have to buy projectors, a nice set of E46s will run atleast $200(sometimes less) then they have to be installed and you still need that HID kit too. So basically, how much are you looking/willing to spend?
Old 06-26-07, 03:00 PM
Gariputo1
Driver School Candidate

I can get lexus parts at cost. So I could get the factory lamps with no bulbs or ballast for around $200 a peice. I wouldnt want to hack up my current lamps for a retro. If I get the new HID factory lamps without the ballast and bulbs, would a plug and play kit just mount to the headlamps and work with the bulbs? And if so, what is the best HID plug and play kit out there?
Old 06-26-07, 04:54 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gariputo1 - yes but you most likely wouldn't get the auto leveling feature so i don't know how you'd level out your headlights other than manually setting them.

i can't comment on the best kit out there but here's a yahoo search for "best hid conversion kit"

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkjZnp4FGYiwBeRBXNyoA?p=best+hid+conversion+kit&y=Search&fr=yfp-t-501