Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

retrofit VS hid kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 11:52 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default retrofit VS hid kit

as most of you know, the stock halogen lights on the sc is weaksauce. i'm looking to upgrade my lighting system so i can see better at night (not for looks). obviously a full on retrofit is the way to go, but if an hid kit can perform just as well, i'd surely go that way. money is no matter for me because i saved up a lot for this upgrade alone.

to be blunt, what i'm asking is comparison pics between retro and hid kit. if i see negligible difference between the two then i'd go hid kit, because retro robs me of my wealth. i know about glare, hot spots when using stock projectors, and oem color temp for retro, so i'm not a complete noob with this stuff
Old 08-04-07, 08:18 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I was cruising next to an Accord last night with factory HID (Acura TSX) and I'll tell you now the lighting is HEAPS over mine. I have a PnP kit at the moment, a retrofit is the next thing on my list.
Old 08-04-07, 11:29 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short, do not do it. Kits just create hot spots and blind oncoming drivers. Do a retrofit

Join HID planet and take a look at this article

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3505
Old 08-05-07, 05:53 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Here is a quote by another member at HIDplanet to make you a believer that Retrofit > kit.

Originally Posted by LittoDeviL
I've been meaning to show you guys this and you guys can show this to everyone who's very stubborn about hid kits that claim that they are the best.

I put this video together when I had the oppournity to have 2 different new 2003-2005 Honda Accord owners who were at my place. One had a S2000 projector headlight conversion completed and was here to get it installed while the other dropped in to check out my work who then had a hid kit installed in his stock headlight housing.

When I realize what I had at hand... i realize this was the best comparision with two same modeled vehicle, and one that had a hid kit inside the stock housing which is very commonly found.

Right click sand save this video to your comp, again turn on your speakers and enjoy another mini show this file is much smaller at less then 5 megs.

http://www.littodevilperformance.com...comparison.wmv

By the way, the owner with the hid kit in his stock housing currently has a S2000 conversion done by me. For those that can remember, it was the white accord owner who I did the first "OEM" chrome style look headlight with the A4 bezel found here:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5039

The one that orginally had the S2000 conversion shown in the video was done using the aftermarket housing for the accord and shown here:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5040
Old 08-06-07, 05:03 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

perfect illustration of why a retrofit is the way to go. It is more money but the outcome is worth it to me
Old 08-06-07, 10:16 PM
Kaydee

THX a million for this info...i guess...hahah now i gotta say bye bye to bank account
Old 08-06-07, 10:42 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by woozzle
THX a million for this info...i guess...hahah now i gotta say bye bye to bank account
What's your budget because if you plan on doing the retro yourself it really won't be that expensive depending on what you want. A rough estimate: $150-200 for projectors, $100-150 for ballasts, $50-75 for bulbs, $15-20 for adaptors, $100-150 for headlights(if you can't have any downtime, in which case you can get reflector bowls for about $50), $25 for the dremel(it's what I paid for mine used), $25-40 for the wire harness(which is optional in my opinion) and whatever amount your time is worth.
Old 08-06-07, 10:58 PM
Kaydee

i only have a pair of tsx projectors and about $1500 to spend. i SUCK at electrical so i'm just gonna get someone to do it
Old 08-07-07, 03:13 AM
JnC
Intermediate

i only have a pair of tsx projectors and about $1500 to spend. i SUCK at electrical so i'm just gonna get someone to do it

$1500 is more than enough, way more i should say, the above stated estimate is just about right . TSX are great projectors for the money and for starters you would be more than happy with their output. Experiment on TSX and may be later we'll introduce to the mighty S2k and the Goddy LS430 . I recently bought another GS and will be doing another LS430 retro on that one as well .

Last edited by JnC; 08-07-07 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-07-07, 06:44 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

With that kind of budget you can do about 3 retros. You can do your retro and have money left over for cosmetic or performance mods.