Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

GS300 + LS430 + TSX + Valeo =

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-07, 01:02 PM
JnC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KiPod
How was the bixenon motor mounted? Did it block any light going into the reflector part? Now Im wondering if I should put the projector back to stock. I love the color but the wing span of light is awesome and thats why I chose the LS in the first place. I was going to use boosted ballasts to get more light but I read that over time the projectors get messed up. I guess from the extra heat or something. Right now Im just using 85122+ bulbs.
The motor was mounted underneath the projector. If you love your set up now with the swap and color mod then lets just put it this way, after going back to stock you will want it to go dark sooner so you can go out for a drive and enjoy the insane output these puppies produce . Just look at the two pictures i posted above, one of Zams E class and one of hak's highlander. Setting on hak's pictures are the truest, that is the exact output you will see if you were their in person, picture was taken by a DSLR with proper setting and they are not over or underexposed to create a bias.
Old 09-01-07, 01:10 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will consider what you suggested, it was just the way you said it. Its all cool. Im just trying to learn & share when I can. Just please dont mock us behind our back.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=316791#316791
Old 09-01-07, 01:13 PM
haknslash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How was the bixenon motor mounted? Did it block any light going into the reflector part? Now Im wondering if I should put the projector back to stock. I love the color but the wing span of light is awesome and thats why I chose the LS in the first place. I was going to use boosted ballasts to get more light but I read that over time the projectors get messed up. I guess from the extra heat or something. Right now Im just using 85122+ bulbs.
Here's the thread of larry's bi-xenon ls430 for F150Duke on HIDP http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=13687&start=0

If you are more concerned with performance rather than color, then I would go back to stock. It's up to you bud as its a personal preference. But since you hinted performance if your goal, personally I would go back to stock. There is plenty of color and flicker from stock LS430 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5w2B2AOUiM.

I would read up on boosted ballasts. I'm not that big of a fan of them mainly for two reaons. 1st being people who started doing this before it got known have mentioned over time they have seen detrimental effects on the reflector bowls finish, like burning or pitting form the excessive heat I suppose. The 2nd reason is that when you turn the "juice up", bulbs tend to tinge and become orangeish-yellowish output when you run alot of power in them. Most I'd run in a modded ballast is maybe 50w but I'm just not willing to play with fire so to speak on my projectors if the bowls do suffer damage overtime. Maybe a cooling fan device would be ideal but I have yet to see anyone go that far in terms of putting them on a projector. With a enclosed projector it wouldn't help anyways though.

Good choice going with 85122+'s! I love mine!!!
Old 09-01-07, 01:15 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

And I do know what you mean by wanting to go out & drive at night. Thats all I want to do now. I love the LS430 projectors. I was going to make a set with TL's but I dont think I can live without the LS width. It spoiled me.
Old 09-01-07, 01:15 PM
haknslash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corkycal
haknslash, welcome to Clublexus.. you are the man when it comes to retrofits..stay awhile and share your secrets with us..did you get a lexus??
haha I actually came here because I was sent a link to see some RX330 wheels for sale to throw on my Toyota Highlander. That is my pic/ride you see below the 1st pic JnC showed .

I will probably lurk around here from time to time
Old 09-01-07, 01:16 PM
haknslash
Driver School Candidate

And I do know what you mean by wanting to go out & drive at night. Thats all I want to do now. I love the LS430 projectors. I was going to make a set with TL's but I dont think I can live without the LS width. It spoiled me.

Yep they are addicting and beg to make you want to drive anytime anywhere so long as its pitch black out
Old 09-01-07, 01:17 PM
JnC
Intermediate

I will consider what you suggested, it was just the way you said it. Its all cool. Im just trying to learn & share when I can. Just please dont mock us behind our back.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=316791#316791
No one is mocking you mang, recheck that thread for my post . I showed my displeasure with the mods here and thats what i did their at HIDp.
Old 09-01-07, 01:24 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Who knows, there might be some updated pics in this thread.
Old 09-01-07, 01:28 PM
JnC
Intermediate

Who knows, there might be some updated pics in this thread.
There we go, we'll be anxiously awaiting.
Old 09-01-07, 01:36 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Im not interested in boosting a ballast and risking roasting a projector esp. a LS430. Some guys were saying the projectors only lasting something like 1 year with boosted ballasts. I hate doing retros but love finishing them.
Old 09-01-07, 01:39 PM
JnC
Intermediate

Im not interested in boosting a ballast and risking roasting a projector esp. a LS430. Some guys were saying the projectors only lasting something like 1 year with boosted ballasts. I hate doing retros but love finishing them.
Projectors wont go bad the bulbs would, life expectancy of a regular 85122+ is drastically low if you run it on high voltage. Also if not properly cooled you can burn your ballast and worst case scenario cause a fire in your engine bay, one that would be OUTside the engine not inside where its suppose to be .
Old 09-01-07, 01:43 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by haknslash
...people who started doing this before it got known have mentioned over time they have seen detrimental effects on the reflector bowls finish, like burning or pitting form the excessive heat I suppose.
Thats what I meant. It seems as if youre just cooking your projectors.
Old 09-01-07, 01:50 PM
haknslash
Driver School Candidate

I really wished someone would send me a modded ballast to play with so I can do a thermal analysis on it with our thermal imaging camera. Would be great info to have and would definitely be valuable to knowing what's going on inside the bowls.
Old 09-01-07, 02:05 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

HIDplanet invasion!

At the last GS meet we had 4 GS's with the LS430 retrofit including mine. I think we should all drive down the highway next to each other and take pics.

Last edited by chrispy; 09-01-07 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-01-07, 02:22 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by haknslash
I really wished someone would send me a modded ballast to play with so I can do a thermal analysis on it with our thermal imaging camera. Would be great info to have and would definitely be valuable to knowing what's going on inside the bowls.
I'm sure someone on HIDp would kindly oblige if you post your findings in the University...

Quick Reply: GS300 + LS430 + TSX + Valeo =