Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

GS300 + LS430 + TSX + Valeo =

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-07, 02:27 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JnC
Now that I am home and can see blocked pictures.. this was the picture that sold me on LS430s. I believe he had boosted ballasts though. I cant remember if it was this picture or another but it was with 3 or 4 different wattages.
Old 09-01-07, 03:29 PM
JnC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Those pictures are right after he did the retro, i know the boosted ballast thread that he made, it was way later after he did the original photoshoot . I have a quad projector retro on my TL with two of the best projectors AP1 S2ks along with DOT TL bixenons with added spice of ZKW clear lenses , i dont turn all four on at the same time, there is just way too much light. With four bulbs on at the same time it turns out to be 70 watts of HID light through one headlight, think of it as running boosted ballast at its max, my eyes get strained after a while since the cut offs are razor sharp. There is day light bellow the cut offs and pitch dark above them lol, thats why i only keep one pair on at a time . Point i am trying to make is that stock 35 watts are just fine .

Here is what mine looks like on the TL

TLs

S2ks

All four

Btw mini meet it is the next time i am in MD , my brother lives in Ellicot City.
Old 09-01-07, 03:32 PM
JnC
Intermediate

Btw here are the two thread by zam

original retro thread

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...ighlight=ls430

boosted ballast test

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...ighlight=ls430
Old 09-01-07, 03:35 PM
JnC
Intermediate

And here is the relative quote since you have to be a member to look at the thread i thought i should just post it as it is

Originally Posted by zam2000
Received a pair of LS430 headlight (many thanks to Joey), took out the projector, excellent shape. Preliminary test show that it is superior compared to the German peers. Once taken out, the projector is not much bigger than the Bosch E46 bi-xenon, as picture shown. The only problem is having the bottom reflector (part of the projector) fit in nicely.

We finished the light test, so I waste no time to retrofit them into headlight for my car. Since I'm quite happy with my current RS6 bi-xenon retrofit, I purchased a new set of headlight for the LS retrofit, in case thing don't work out.

Well, gentlement, after a week of work, I got the headlight done. I cut the Hell projector bowl, and mount the LS projector to it, quite feasible, since the LS have four screws in the back. This also allow all light adjustment mechanism to work as OEM.

Also cut the LS shroud to fit the Mercedes (so reflector output is intact). Once finished, the result look very eyes pleasing. Since I have a pair of 2005 BMW 545 headlight (Hella bi-xenon projector), I do some comparision, and the difference is quite shocking. By itself, the BMW output look amazing (good color, bright light), but compared to the Lexus output, it look like halogen. THE LEXUS PROJECTOR PRODUCES MUCH MUCH BRIGHTER AND WIDER LIGHT :rock: :rock:

Test are done with same bulb (Philips D2S 4300K) and ballast (Denso), taken 3 minutes after bootup. Same camera setting (fast shutter) to sensivite, so only the best light go through. The Lexus is so much brighter, pix makes it look like it produce whiter light.

Lexus Projector size compared to BMW E46 bi-xenon

Projector retrofit before shroud

Here's how it's mount

With modified Lexus shroud

Compare to 2005 BMW 545 headlight

BMW light output

Lexus light output
Old 09-01-07, 03:36 PM
JnC
Intermediate

rest of the quote, posting twice due to pictures per post limit , notice how even he said that its just too bright

Originally Posted by zam2000

When I was playing around with adjustable ballast (30-75W). Car is back to stock 35W ballast now. High wattage ballast & LS projector make it really hard to drive at night (too bright), for both driver and other drivers

Old 09-01-07, 03:47 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

at 60W!
Old 09-01-07, 04:06 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

That's zam's car? I saw it at mechanic shop near my place a while back. I noticed the LS430 projectors in his headlights but I wasn't sure if it was the same car.
Old 09-01-07, 05:16 PM
JnC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChrisES
That's zam's car? I saw it at mechanic shop near my place a while back. I noticed the LS430 projectors in his headlights but I wasn't sure if it was the same car.

Well it used to be, he recently traded it in for a newer MB S class, so it could be his car but new owner
Old 09-01-07, 07:34 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JnC
Was the title of your thread something like "Cant chose between s2k or tl? How bout both"? I was just reading that thread the other day and called a couple coworkers over to check out this picture. I was thinking about doing a TL / ZKW retro and reading up on them and came across that thread.
Old 09-01-07, 10:08 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

amazing job, that is a perfect retro Would you be interested in redoing a retrofit for me? Not really redoing it, I would like to change out the shroud around my lenses to be more of a chrome to match the hi beam housing. I can link you to some pics if you would be interested in doing this
Old 09-03-07, 10:04 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job Ki. After seeing these pics I need to step my headlight game up. Cant wait to find some extra ES headlights so you can start my retrofit

-Smitty
Old 09-06-07, 06:21 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some shots I took this last weekend. No, I dont have a tripod. No, I didnt have a passanger to help. The last 2 shots are 100+ feet away. You can see the side light fade on the last 2. The high beams shoot about 2 lanes wide. I realy like them though because I can see where the high beam cutoff is, leave them on and not blind people. Im getting another set of LS430s to do some side by side shots. The pictures kind of suck but you get the idea.

Old 09-06-07, 08:47 AM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JnC
Thanks emo , i have been on the board for a while due to my brothers GS4, but will be more active now since i recently bought an 00 GS3.
So we can expect a few more GS retros from you?
Old 09-06-07, 10:37 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KiPod after seeing ur lights the other night you've definitely convinced me to go retrofit. Good job bro.

-Smitty
Old 09-07-07, 02:55 AM
SMOKE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job on the retrofits. Im not that handy so I cant do my own retro. I'v seen this retrofits on ebay, DUAL CCFL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS FOR GS 300,400. 98-05. I would like some info. would u know if this set is good or not. I dont want to get ripped off. once again nice job. If I lived close I'd ask u to do mine to.

Quick Reply: GS300 + LS430 + TSX + Valeo =