Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Looking to purchase HID's for my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 03:47 PM
acenase
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase HID's for my SC400

Does anyone know where I can get some good HID's for my 93 SC400? I am leaning more toward 6000K. I don't want to get a brand that has a lot of glare though, so does anyone know which one to get that has the less glare possible? My stock lights are very dim when driving at night and I see all these other vehicles on the road where their lights light up the whole ground in front of them and is PURE white instead of ugly yellow. I just want that. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-14-07, 03:48 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with Cliffud!
Old 09-14-07, 04:04 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emoshun
A wee bit of edu-maca-shun.

Mandatory Reading
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080

Everything Else
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/
I'm going with stock AP2 projectors and some Phillips 85122+!
Old 09-14-07, 04:30 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by acenase
Does anyone know where I can get some good HID's for my 93 SC400? I am leaning more toward 6000K. I don't want to get a brand that has a lot of glare though, so does anyone know which one to get that has the less glare possible? My stock lights are very dim when driving at night and I see all these other vehicles on the road where their lights light up the whole ground in front of them and is PURE white instead of ugly yellow. I just want that. Any help would be appreciated.
the glare really depends on the reflector housing.. whether or not your HIDs will glare is up to the housing.. that was one of the factors that made me so hesitant about buying HIDs because i didn't want to blind oncoming traffic.. but good thing that my reflector housing has a pretty good cut off line.. it's definitely not as nice as projectors but it does the job of not glaring
Old 09-14-07, 04:56 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

vntperform has a kit for sale for $185. I bought a set, and it turned out nicely. No glare or anything like that, and it was definitely a + compared to the stock bulbs. Shoot him a PM, they're the 9006 bulbs, so no retrofit required. 6000K looks great.
Old 09-15-07, 11:50 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Ok, I hope you took the time to read through the newb intro page on HIDp, and used faqlight to answer any further questions about output, and various pics.

I am posting these images that hakandslash posted on SRT-4 forums, in response to people asking for PNP kits. Hak, if you want me to remove these pics, and just provide a link, then that is fine. I just couldn't illiterate the subject like you can.

Your typical PNP kit.

Your ECE retro!

Originally Posted by HighSoarer
vntperform has a kit for sale for $185. I bought a set, and it turned out nicely. No glare or anything like that, and it was definitely a + compared to the stock bulbs. Shoot him a PM, they're the 9006 bulbs, so no retrofit required. 6000K looks great.
6000k is looks, and nothing but. You are losing output in lumens the higher you go on the kelvin scale. Anything above a Phillips D4S 4800k bulb, and you have a diminishing light output that your stock halogens can match.

...I see all these other vehicles on the road where their lights light up the whole ground in front of them and is PURE white instead of ugly yellow. I just want that. Any help would be appreciated.
About the color, the projector provides the coverage and color flicker within the cutoff's color band (blue-purple-green-etc.). This will never come from a bulb! (Even a 4300K bulb!) So many people just want "blue lights", and its giving those of us who enjoy a nice clean cutoff, a bad rep. The "pure white" light you talk about is coming from a 4100k bulb through a HID projector. No 5000K+ bulb can reproduce this effect/amount of lighting performance.

I hope this has helped!

Last edited by emoshun; 09-15-07 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 12:58 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Those pictures are really helpful to see the difference between setups. I'm not a big person on lighting or HID so I'm not an expert on what works the best. I got my kit with 6000K and it's considerably brighter than when I had my stock halogens as well as when I upgraded to the Sylverstar brand before going HID. I'm still getting to know more information on the whole HID lighting and the different setups, so it wouldn't be surprising if I ended up changing bulbs down the road.
Old 09-15-07, 07:57 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

that picture of PNP kit is pretty extreme.. that looks nothing like what my PNP HID gives off.. good thing i guess..
Old 09-16-07, 04:52 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rayy
that picture of PNP kit is pretty extreme.. that looks nothing like what my PNP HID gives off.. good thing i guess..
The issue here is not built quality or brand name of the kit, the problem is that those kit HID bulbs are not appropriate for the halogen reflector or halogen projectors.

HID kits may seem the easy way to get HIDs in your car but trust me you are better off sticking with halogens rather than 50~300 dollars on a PnP kit.

If you really want HIDs then do a retrofit using OEM HID projectors such as TSX, S2000 etc.

HID kits FTMFL.
Old 09-16-07, 05:15 AM
rayy
Lead Lap

sorry but what does 'FTMFL' mean?
Old 09-16-07, 05:22 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rayy
sorry but what does 'FTMFL' mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FTMFL
Old 09-16-07, 09:13 AM
dopsc
Driver

If you're still looking to upgrade your headlights, I have some Audi TT/E46 projectors also known as bosch projectors that you can retrofit into your SC headlights. I also have the brackets and shroud that will make the projectors look completely stock.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=Audi+retrofit
Old 09-16-07, 09:49 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

You can locate TSX projectors,a set of ballast and bulbs on ebay for right around 300-325 on ebay..You can also make the retro easier with custom aluminum SC headlight retro brackets..Once you have all the parts the whole process will take about 2 hours and you will have much better look and light output..I was going to do the PnP kit and decided that a retro would be the better way to go ..
Old 09-16-07, 10:07 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Im actually selling a pair of TSX projectors, if anyone's in need of an cost-efficient upgrade!
Old 09-18-07, 10:32 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a pair of e39 5 series projectors for sale, w/ or w/o a set of PnP HIDs to go along with it...PM for info...

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase HID's for my SC400