Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Need HELP! HID Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 03:24 AM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need HELP! HID Problem.

Alright so let me explain the situation.

I've been running my 6000K PNP kit for about 9 months now.
My passenger side ballast/bulb is working just find and turns on every time.
I've been having a problem with the driver side ballast/bulb for about a month now.
The problem is that it takes more than one flip of the switch for the driver side to light up.
It started out maybe taking 2 or 3 flips of the switch to light up and has just been getting worse.
Tonight it took me about 5 minutes of flipping the switch on and off before the light went on.
Now sometimes the driver side headlight lights up the very first time i turn it on. Sometimes it takes a couple minutes of switching it on and off for it to go on.
Is this the bulb going bad because of age? Or could there possibly be something wrong where it connects to the harness?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by daSC4; 11-26-07 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-26-07, 04:53 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a wire harness that allows your ballasts to be connected directly to your battery? The only thing in between the battery and the ballast would be a relay which is tripped by your OEM headlight plug.

Xenon depot offers such wire harness for $40...
Old 11-26-07, 12:06 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a ballast issue. This could be a sign that the ballast is going bad, not so much the bulb.

As for a relay wiring harness, I would recommend it as well. Check ebay...
Old 11-26-07, 12:17 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Are you sure it's the ballast?
It's wierd because I switched my driver side ballast/bulb to the passenger side headlight and it worked fine and turned on every time. Then I put the ballast/bulb that was on the passenger side into the driver side and it wouldn't turn on just like the other one.
Old 11-26-07, 08:31 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

I would be careful about flipping it on and off... from what I've read, doing so is bad for your passenger headlight. Check your fuses and your electrical connection. When you swap, are you changing the relays also if you're using one? If not, it may be a bad relay. If you're not, then it might be an electrical connection problem with your driver's side. If you reconnect a standard halogen bulb, do you get issues? You may need to get that fixed.
Old 11-26-07, 08:45 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same exact issue a while back, and did the same switching of ballasts. Turns out that I did have a bad ballast. Finally died and wouldn't fire back up. I had to drive home with one headlight. I was sweating the popo.

Anyway, I replaced with a back up ballast and haven't had a problem since.
Old 11-26-07, 11:21 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

constant flipping on and off the lights will shorten the bulb life, it does sound like a bad ballast, have you checked the bulbs? is there any black buildup in it?
Old 11-27-07, 01:21 AM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikeho
I would be careful about flipping it on and off... from what I've read, doing so is bad for your passenger headlight. Check your fuses and your electrical connection. When you swap, are you changing the relays also if you're using one? If not, it may be a bad relay. If you're not, then it might be an electrical connection problem with your driver's side. If you reconnect a standard halogen bulb, do you get issues? You may need to get that fixed.
I don't have relays. There are no issues when I connect a standard halogen bulb. It fires up instantaneously.

Originally Posted by Baoser
constant flipping on and off the lights will shorten the bulb life, it does sound like a bad ballast, have you checked the bulbs? is there any black buildup in it?
The bulb doesn't have any black buildup but there is brown buildup.
Old 11-27-07, 04:04 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say get a wire harness to see if that resolves the issue.
Old 11-27-07, 11:40 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm brown means ur bulb is gonna go soon... black means its toast...

or I think thats how it is...someone correct me if im wrong?
Old 12-05-07, 03:13 AM
06-IS250
Pole Position

Hey,

So I found this thread to be the closest thing to my problem as well. i just very recently installed xenon depot xtremeHID kit (5000K), its been like 2 or 3 weeks. So tonight I was driving with a friend ahead of me, and he points out that my drivers side light is out. I remember reading this thread, so i turn on and off, and he said it came on. Now, this is the first time (granted it could have happened and I did not notice), so do you guys think i have a problem or a freak incident?

I got the kit installed professionally too...any ideas? What did you do to fix your problem?
Old 12-05-07, 04:10 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 06-IS250
Hey,

So I found this thread to be the closest thing to my problem as well. i just very recently installed xenon depot xtremeHID kit (5000K), its been like 2 or 3 weeks. So tonight I was driving with a friend ahead of me, and he points out that my drivers side light is out. I remember reading this thread, so i turn on and off, and he said it came on. Now, this is the first time (granted it could have happened and I did not notice), so do you guys think i have a problem or a freak incident?

I got the kit installed professionally too...any ideas? What did you do to fix your problem?
You didn't mention if you had the wire harness installed with the kit. Did you?
It could just be a one time thing. You'll have to wait and see.
Old 12-05-07, 08:08 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you did install the kit with a wiring harness it could be a relay, loose connection, or bad ground. I can email you our testing procedure to help you determine what is causing the problem.

Steve
Old 12-05-07, 12:14 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

Not to sound like an idiot, but does the wiring harness come with the kit? If it does, then they must have installed it. Can PM me the procedures so if this happens again, i can try to fix it?

Also, I took the car to service and this is the first time driving it since. Do you guys think they might have loosened a connection while messing around in there? I"ll have to ask what exactly they performed for me, but it was the maintenance service, check all the lubes and a tire rotation..i dont see how they could have messed anything up in there.

lets see if this happens again.