Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID KIT (are these any good??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07 | 04:31 PM
Goosesedan
Rookie

19psi

Thanks i just ordered mine from the same guy!! How long should i wait to receive it??
Old 12-21-07 | 03:51 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

it took about a week and a half.
Old 01-06-08 | 02:40 AM
Goosesedan
Rookie

19psi

I got the 8000k from that same guy, i installed it already and they look great, my question though is, when you installed yours, did the bulb fit right into the OEM Headlight housing???
Old 01-07-08 | 05:40 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

yup, mine fit right in. what vehicle do you have? some of the bulbs hav e a rubber o ring that makes for a tight waterproof fit. you have to lube up the o ring before you stick it in the hole.
Old 01-07-08 | 07:35 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Its going to be hard for me not to sound biased however several things to consider:

1) A warranty is only good should the company you purchase the product from honours it and/or stays in business.

2) What are the shipping charges involved in sending products back/forth for warranty replacement to China? Any savings you may have had when purchasing the product initially have now gone out the door.

3) Time/money spent uninstalling/installing the kit should something go wrong.

4) Waterproof is a major issue. The ballasts are going to be exposed to elements while being in your engine bay. Moisture will damage a ballast and cause it to burn out. If a ballast is not epoxy sealed and water tight it will go out sooner than later.

5) Should you require any sort of after sales service/support, how accessible is the merchant to help you with your problem?

sorry... I've seen this happen time and time again. People buy a cheap lighting kit only having to pay a fortune in replacement components and shipping costs. This is definitely not always the case however ultimately, buyer beware.

Steve
Old 01-07-08 | 07:36 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

1 more thing...

19psi, just because they say made in japan doesnt mean that they are actually made in Japan. The kit you received is made in china.

Steve
Old 01-07-08 | 08:14 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
1 more thing...

19psi, just because they say made in japan doesnt mean that they are actually made in Japan. The kit you received is made in china.

Steve
that's funny! i'm not surpised, nor that concerned. for the cost, i'd buy a set every couple years if i have to; not like i'll keep any car that long anyway!
Old 01-07-08 | 08:28 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

I figured you would know. Just wanted to clarify =)
Old 01-07-08 | 01:11 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap
CL Folding 10,000

Guys i just bought a Bosch HID Kit... I haven't installed it yet though. These things are generally really expensive. I spent only 145 shipped for brand new in the box. Great deal and hopefully i will get them installed today and post up a thread. Another thing though is the shipping was only 2 days and they are made in Germany.
Old 01-16-08 | 10:34 AM
Hawkman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
this is where i got my last two sets from:
http://stores.ebay.com/mydepots
I saw your post and decided to buy a set. Just my luck...I received them today, installed them and they don't work. The directions are simple and the connections are pretty much foolproof. Still, I got nothing.
Old 01-16-08 | 10:59 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i sent you a pm on how to fix it.
Old 01-16-08 | 02:24 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
that's funny! i'm not surpised, nor that concerned. for the cost, i'd buy a set every couple years if i have to; not like i'll keep any car that long anyway!
i bought expensive hids and ebay hids... and i have had both on many cars... no difference in light output

agreed

i normally keep my cars for 2yrs before i upgrade to a newer car and get a new hid set, none have blew out on me yet

and i wish i never wasted $300 bucks on the 2 of my kits and bought = $600 bucks =( on my first car..

the $75 ones instead on ebay are fine.. i run them in all my cars now

but buy the higher one if u want to have warranty and customer service in case u do get a bad set is a piece of mind! some people value that more i know a few friends that bug me about my cheap hids.. but it gets the job done!

.. no problems here.. ill pay for 3 ones braking before i go back to expensive sets
Old 01-16-08 | 02:28 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Cheaper kits will have the ballest flicker at times which is annoying. make sure to caulk the grommet going itno the drilled dust cover and also, caulk the harness loom at the end to not allow any moisture in. Never run the wires sticking out of the housing, it will get moisture that is not easy to get out. Their is a thread on here for the instal and where to moint the ballests. If you let them bounce around under the hood, they will burn out.
Old 01-17-08 | 06:40 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

I believe in getting a good deal just like everyone else. I work hard for my money and always want to make sure that I am getting the most value for my dollar. eliteskill did bring up a very good point in saying that if you want warranty and customer service make sure you purchase from a reliable company. I completely agree with that however I also feel that there are several other things that need to be looked at. You are upgrading your vehicle's lighting. If you, your spouse, child, etc.. were driving at night and the headlighs went out it would be a huge inconvenience let alone possibly a scary experience. Aside from that issue, on some cars troubleshooting a problem is not that easy because the engine bay is so crammed. You actually need to remove the bumper just to access the back of the headlights. While some of you may not mind doing that, others may find their time/effort more valuable. I know that is going to be hard for me to sound biased saying all that but it is the truth. When it comes to lighting/electronic equipment I typically like to stay with a reliable company.

Steve
Old 01-17-08 | 11:51 AM
Hawkman
Driver School Candidate

Update on mine. I tested them on my Suburban and still nothing. If it's polarity, then it's not on my vehicles. The kit has the polarity incorrectly backwards. I shot the guy an email through ebay. Customer service is definitely lacking there. Replied with a one liner blaming my wiring/installation.

I guess you get what you pay for, huh? Buy cheap chinese ****...get cheap chinese ****.

Quick Reply: HID KIT (are these any good??)