Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID KIT (are these any good??)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 12:00 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hawkman,

shoot me a PM or give me a call and I will see if I can help you out.

Steve
Old 01-18-08, 12:06 AM
Hawkman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ok...I got burned. I'm trying to spread the word.

Don't buy from this crapsack: http://stores.ebay.com/mydepots

I saw on this forum another member that liked his kits, so I got one. I got it two weeks later and the kit is such a piece of *****. For one, it didn't work on any of my cars. The polarity was wrong. So I slice and dice my wires to make it work and then what? The frikkin' rubber o-ring is too big and won't allow the bulb to fit into its socket. I wrote the guy and his customer service is garbage. If you buy his kit and there's something wrong, you have to send it all the way back to CHINA!!!

So then I go look at his feedback. I hate ebayers like this. He waits for you to give a feedback. If you leave negative, he'll retaliate with some BS negative on you.

DON'T DO IT! BUY FROM SOMEONE ELSE!
Old 01-18-08, 05:07 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks man sorry to hear it. did you try to lube that o ring on the bulb? i'ts supposed to be a good tight fit to keep moisture out, so it will be tight. anytime i install new bulbs, whether they are hid or standard, i always lube up the o ring to help them slide in and seal tightly.
Old 01-18-08, 09:21 AM
Hawkman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
that sucks man sorry to hear it. did you try to lube that o ring on the bulb? i'ts supposed to be a good tight fit to keep moisture out, so it will be tight. anytime i install new bulbs, whether they are hid or standard, i always lube up the o ring to help them slide in and seal tightly.
Oh yeah...I lubed it up, alright.

Seriously, I put some synthetic lube on and there was still no frikkin way it was going on, and I'm no lightweight. The o-ring was just too big and too fat. Squeeze the o-ring in a particular direction and there will be excess "slack", for lack of a better word, that you can easily grab hold of to pull the o-ring completely off. Very disappointing.
Old 01-18-08, 10:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

wow, that really does suck then! try swapping o rings from your standard bulbs to the new ones?
what style bulb is it?
Old 01-18-08, 11:01 AM
Hawkman
Driver School Candidate

9005...high beams.
Old 01-18-08, 11:02 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

weird man. try swapping o rings. it's ghetto, but if it works and saves you from shipping something to china and back i'd go for it.
Old 01-18-08, 12:49 PM
Hawkman
Driver School Candidate

No...I'm done with that Ebayer. Shipping back to China isn't cheap. It's all a big headache and I'm going to chalk it up as a learning experience. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-19-08, 12:58 AM
dimsumboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on "you get what you pay for" lol, however I really hope that xenodepot do stand behind their products and customer service, cause I'm planning to buy one of your kit for my 02 Rx300. Just wasnt sure how well will it turn out in terms of light patern after installing a kit.
Old 01-20-08, 09:22 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

dimsumboy,

Hawkman did not purchase the kit from us. It was purchased from an ebay vendor.

Steve
Old 01-20-08, 04:14 PM
dimsumboy
Driver School Candidate

what I meant was, I'm looking into purchasing a HID kit for my 02 RX300 from XenoDepot because its cheaper than phillips and seems better than the EBAY HID KIT. I just wasnt sure how good your kit is since I cant seem to find any pics or reviews on it.
Old 01-20-08, 05:29 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its pretty much you either go for mobile hid or xenon depot. i wouldnt try to go beyond that. i ordered some xenon vision and had problems with them. try to get them warrantied but they said everything was fine blahhh. i been doing a lot of research and my choices are pretty much mobile hid or xenon depot. dont be to scared hehe they been on cl forum for awhile.
Old 01-20-08, 05:50 PM
dimsumboy
Driver School Candidate

installing HID kit into stock halogen headlamps, I'm just worry rather will it be too hot for the reflectives, and will I see more or less then original? somebody post on youtube about his rx300 with 4300k xeno, I liked it very much. But he didnt say rather its a retrofit, or just replacing a kit, or what kind of kit is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KenKkU7rDGQ

Last edited by dimsumboy; 01-20-08 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-20-08, 07:09 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i doubt it was a retrofit. mostly people just buy hid kit and drop them in. it wont be to hot unless your going to push beyond 8k. if you go 4300k - 6500k you will see a lot more. i put some inside my ls400 just drop it in and i saw much farther. all it says is that he just picked up the mobile hid kit. so it has to be a kit that fit the original socket. im trying to work with xenon depot right now. to get an h4 ballast for my car but use d2s/d2r bulbs inside my car so i can put a casper shield to get rid of most of the reflection in the housing. hopefully xenon depot can help me out. if you get an hid kit just make sure you adjust everything :]
Old 01-21-08, 06:15 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

dimsumboy, please do a search on the board under Xtreme HID. You will find lots of reviews and pictures. Please view this link for some more pictures and reviews:

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=61

We phased out our Philips based kits approximately one year ago. Philips ballasts are great for OEM HID applications however they are also designed for OEM HID applications. In OEM HID applications the ballasts are usually encased within the headlight protecting them from water damage. In aftermarket HID applications the ballast is usually mounted outside the headlight where it is susceptible to weather damage.

The Xtreme ballasts are specifically designed for this application as they are epoxy sealed making them water tight.

Steve

Quick Reply: HID KIT (are these any good??)