Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Are these LEGAL in CA??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 01:53 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
Green Headlights = Red and blue behind you.

Halogen/White/Blue/Purple/Pink = Halogens behind you :P

Any color EXCEPT green will not get you pulled over. Green is a very hard color on the eyes especially at dark. It's a major distraction.
Please quit spreading misinformation around here.

Anything other than white (headlights) and amber lights (parking/turn signals/foglights) will be illegal. Technically anything other than 4300k HID bulbs (when it comes to HID) is illegal.

Purple/pink/green/blue is all illegal when it comes to headlights on the road.

With all the HID kits popping up around my town, i'm sure, soon, they will be targeting these cars that don't come equipped stock with them. I'm glad I'll be retro'ing the stock HID into the headlights.
Old 01-13-08, 02:38 PM
350nub
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how bout using them in the fog instead of headlights?????
Old 01-13-08, 02:42 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Foglights have to be either, yellow, amber (if trying to pass them as a turn signal), or white.
Old 01-13-08, 03:10 PM
350nub
Pole Position

Does it says anywhere in the DMV booklet??? What you get pull over?? How much is the ticket? (est.) also cant you just show the police that it says DOT approved at Streel Legal?? Or if the police refuses. cant you claim to the Ebay Seller of False advertisiment??
Old 01-13-08, 03:40 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think anyone will get ticketed yet. since its not really a big deal. there such a small hand full of cars that have hid in non equip hid housings. i say as long as you put them in and adjust them to the right height you should be fine. getting a casper shield or making your own should push down most of the glare. i use to have 8k for my low beams and 10k for my fog lights. the cops didnt do anything. but i notice that some people got distracted by my 10k fogs so i pull those out and sold them. with the 8k low beam adjusted it seem fine no one was really bothered by them.

but caoboy is right if anything that is 4300k is maybe illegal. all stock oem equip is in that range. but no fuss yet from the cops yet.

but fo sure all those krazy colors are distracting like gawww dammm neon lights under your car. who needs that **** lmaooo. puddle lights are more classy :].

im thinking of doing a bypass on my 95 LS to just run fogs without my headlights . just havent had time to do it yet

i just like to say if you put hid in your car and what not just be respective of other drivers take the precaution to make sure everything adjusted :].
Old 01-13-08, 04:13 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Please quit spreading misinformation around here.
Anything other than white (headlights) and amber lights (parking/turn signals/foglights) will be illegal. Technically anything other than 4300k HID bulbs (when it comes to HID) is illegal. Purple/pink/green/blue is all illegal when it comes to headlights on the road.
Caoboy hit it right on the nail head. Technically, you can't touch the lights, only to replace bulbs to oem spec.

Originally Posted by 350nub
Does it says anywhere in the DMV booklet??? What you get pull over?? How much is the ticket? (est.) also cant you just show the police that it says DOT approved at Streel Legal?? Or if the police refuses. cant you claim to the Ebay Seller of False advertisiment??
i dont know the actual CVC, but believe it's either vehicle modification to lighting or unsafe equipment. lights arent like a k&n where you can just show the CARB sticker. dont forget, anyone can say their lights are DOT to sell you a product and get your money. K&N's been around a loooooooooong time and they've invested quite some change to get where they're at now.
Old 01-13-08, 04:39 PM
350nub
Pole Position

Yeah true. But still, the ebay seller is a power seller and has been around for almost 3 years. ehm...still confused here...and also is it GREEN HID BULB or just GREEN XENON GAS FILLED halogen bulb???? because if it just a replacement for halogen and if you put it on your fogs, wouldnt there be no glare???
Old 01-13-08, 08:32 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Not legal.

I have seen green very rarely, but the purples **** me off.
Old 01-13-08, 11:51 PM
350nub
Pole Position

purple?? why??? does it blind u?
Old 01-14-08, 12:05 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its not that if it blinds you. its just more of a distraction like neon lights under your car thats all. mostly those bulbs are made for show purposes only