Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Isn't the SC300 supposed to have H3 Fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 07:18 AM
TJohnson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't the SC300 supposed to have H3 Fogs?

I picked up a set of 6000k HID's from Cliffud over on ClubNA-T recently and decided to pass on getting the fogs to go with it. He had said I needed H3's for them if I wanted to. I went to the parts store and looked it up and sure enough, that says H3 too.

Well I bought some H3 SilverStars and while I was doing suspension work the other day, I thought I'd get under there and replace them. I get the bulb out and its a 1156 bulb??????? Other side is 1156 also. I haven't been able to find anything anywhere that says the fogs are 1156. Am I missing something?

It's a 92 SC300 and I have the original window sticker that says the foglights were an included option, so as far as I can tell, its not anything aftermarket.
Old 02-22-08, 08:54 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJohnson
I picked up a set of 6000k HID's from Cliffud over on ClubNA-T recently and decided to pass on getting the fogs to go with it. He had said I needed H3's for them if I wanted to. I went to the parts store and looked it up and sure enough, that says H3 too.

Well I bought some H3 SilverStars and while I was doing suspension work the other day, I thought I'd get under there and replace them. I get the bulb out and its a 1156 bulb??????? Other side is 1156 also. I haven't been able to find anything anywhere that says the fogs are 1156. Am I missing something?

It's a 92 SC300 and I have the original window sticker that says the foglights were an included option, so as far as I can tell, its not anything aftermarket.
Your "fog lights" are actually turn signals. Only the 97+ came with H3 fogs.
Old 02-22-08, 08:54 AM
elucid8
Rookie

From 92-94 (or 95, I forget), Lexus used cornering lamps instead of fog lamps. Notice that whenever you use your turn signal, the respective lamp lights up. If it doesn't, it means it's out. But yes, from 92-94 are those small 1156 bulbs. H3's were for 95-00. intellexual.net. just search for '1156' on the page and or find the section about midway that talks about stock SCx00 specs.
Old 02-22-08, 09:14 AM
TJohnson
Driver

Originally Posted by elucid8
From 92-94 (or 95, I forget), Lexus used cornering lamps instead of fog lamps. Notice that whenever you use your turn signal, the respective lamp lights up. If it doesn't, it means it's out. But yes, from 92-94 are those small 1156 bulbs. H3's were for 95-00. intellexual.net. just search for '1156' on the page and or find the section about midway that talks about stock SCx00 specs.
So the lights that are down on the bottom of the bumper are supposed to blink when I use my blinker? Or it should just light up solid? I haven't noticed that it does that, but they do come on when I turn the parking lights on. When I hit the switch once, the little ***** bulbs next to the headlight come on and the "cornering lights" down there on the bottom come on as well. Then of course the headlights come on in addition to those when I turn the stalk the 2nd click.

I guess now that I have figured out the car is what it should be, I guess I need a better understanding of how it's supposed to work. Thanks!
Old 02-22-08, 09:03 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

Originally Posted by emoshun
Your "fog lights" are actually turn signals. Only the 97+ came with H3 fogs.

correction...96+
Old 02-23-08, 01:24 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC30096
correction...96+
you mean 95+
Old 02-23-08, 01:26 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tjohnson -sorry bud, when you asked about the SC300 and the fog light bulbs, I assumed you had an SC with fogs. my bad.
Old 02-23-08, 09:26 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

LOL at the corrections...
Old 02-25-08, 01:00 PM
elucid8
Rookie

Originally Posted by TJohnson
So the lights that are down on the bottom of the bumper are supposed to blink when I use my blinker? Or it should just light up solid? I haven't noticed that it does that, but they do come on when I turn the parking lights on. When I hit the switch once, the little ***** bulbs next to the headlight come on and the "cornering lights" down there on the bottom come on as well. Then of course the headlights come on in addition to those when I turn the stalk the 2nd click.

I guess now that I have figured out the car is what it should be, I guess I need a better understanding of how it's supposed to work. Thanks!
The cornering bulbs are solid when you use your signal.

Here's what I'm understanding:

You flick the light wand once and:
-The city/parking lights come on in addition to the cornering lamps on the front bumper

You flick the light wand again and:
-The city/parking lights stay on,
-The headlights come on, and;
-The cornering lamps turn off

If that's the case, I'm guessing that's someone wired it wrong somehow. The cornering lamps are only supposed to come on when you use your turn signal and it stays solid until your signal goes off.

I thought about converting my corners to fogs using a relay and using the parking lights as a trigger, but the light from those cornering bulbs is just horrid. And, at least for me, it sprays light off to the side instead of in front of the car.

If you still want fogs, I may offer a suggestion (though not on the forums because they aren't a CL Sponsor/Vendor) that works decent for me. If you were looking to use those cornering lamps for light output, I wouldn't suggest it. Based on how mine give off dim light to the far side of the car and not straight ahead, you may actually be slightly blinding motorists as the pass rather than enhancing your own vision. Not exactly sure how bright they are when passing by, I've never driven past an SC/soarer with cornering lights on.