Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Best method to clean my healight lenses

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 07:22 AM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Best method to clean my healight lenses

Hey all. I have searched on the subject but found many different ways and was wondering which way you all thought was the best. I have a 97 sc300 and for 11 years old the headlights look like they are in rough shape. They are a little rough and just yellow/hazy. I have seen other members get the almost brand new looking a few different ways. I want to clean them still on the car (I plan to do it again once I do my retro.)

What I was planning to do was tape off the body around the head light, and first wet sand it with 1500 to 2000 sand paper to get it smooth. Next I was going to use a 6" buffer with some plastix on them. After that I was going to buff it again with some normal wax. Does this sound like the best way or does someone else have any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 04-21-08, 11:18 AM
elucid8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first wanted to clean my headlights, I PM'd SClean4 about how he cleaned his. Toothpaste. Believe it or not, toothpaste got a lot of that haziness and yellowing off of it (get the nice grainy kind, not tooth gel). I left it on for about 5-10 mins and washed it off with water. Do an inconspicuous place at first. I decided to do the driver sides lights (headlight, highbeam, cornering/fog light) and compare it to the passenger side (the control). Quite a difference, and I could actually see my projector again. Big thanks to SClean4.

Personally, that wasn't enough, so the other day I broke out some alcohol. Just some paper towels and alcohol, some more yellowish and brownish haze came off that I didn't notice too much before. This happened to two other sets of headlights (not SCs) that I tried it on, but alcohol will make it sort of haze up again temporarily. I used PlastX to get it off and it has stayed clean since.

I DO notice minor "spots" that never seem to come off after any method. I'm almost sure that they're on the inside of the lens, and I'm still afraid to try the oven method.

When I get home, I'll try to remember to post some pics of what it looked like before/after toothpaste and what it looks like now if you're interested.
Old 04-21-08, 02:38 PM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by elucid8
When I first wanted to clean my headlights, I PM'd SClean4 about how he cleaned his. Toothpaste. Believe it or not, toothpaste got a lot of that haziness and yellowing off of it (get the nice grainy kind, not tooth gel). I left it on for about 5-10 mins and washed it off with water. Do an inconspicuous place at first. I decided to do the driver sides lights (headlight, highbeam, cornering/fog light) and compare it to the passenger side (the control). Quite a difference, and I could actually see my projector again. Big thanks to SClean4.

I DO notice minor "spots" that never seem to come off after any method. I'm almost sure that they're on the inside of the lens, and I'm still afraid to try the oven method.

When I get home, I'll try to remember to post some pics of what it looked like before/after toothpaste and what it looks like now if you're interested.
LOL

Yeah I read about the toothpaste but haven't tried yet, so thanks for the vouch.

Wondering if "whitening" toothpaste will be more effective!!!! lol

Old 04-21-08, 04:09 PM
elucid8
Rookie

I tried to find a nice "medium" size for the pictures; large enough to see and small enough to keep the 56kers alive.

These first two show one application of toothpaste on the right headlight (and maybe high beam?)

These next three are ones from about an hour ago:

As what I was talking about with those small little marks on the lens, this is what I was referring to (if you'd like bigger photos, let me know):

I'll be honest, toothpaste is probably the best inexpensive solution to clean your headlights since you've got it in your bathroom. (until I had used PlastX and other stuff, I had thought toothpaste was about as clean as it would get).

I used a toothbrush to apply it, a nice coat to layer it and waited until it was almost dry to wash it off with water. Personally, after about 3 applications of toothpaste, I noticed only minor improvements (but when you're an SC driver, you need all the light you can get). Arm & Hammer seemed to work the best for me.

Last edited by elucid8; 04-21-08 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 05:28 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. Your after pics look pretty damned good. I already picked up some plastix the other day so ill see what that stuff can do first. But what you suggested atleast is a good start at least until I open them up for the retro and go crazy on them. Thanks!
Old 04-22-08, 08:37 PM
Billy305
Advanced

UPDATEL: I used the plastic polish with a 6 inch buffer and some pressure and the lights came out bascially 100% clear and new looking. Will post pics as soon as I get a camera handy.
Old 04-25-08, 07:10 AM
KevMMA
Rookie

I used rubbing compound on my old S14 and it made my headlights look almost new.
Old 04-25-08, 10:22 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

I did my integra headlights at work with this kit we sold..that thing works good..try to go to a Tires Plus they sell it there.
Old 09-30-08, 12:43 PM
bguild
Pole Position

I've used a ton of different methods, processes, etc. for cleaning yellowed lenses, and the only one worth it's weigh is the 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, Part # 39008. I wish I had a before shot, but can't find a good one. This is the end product of a headlight from a 1993 GS300 with 165k miles done just this week.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=57

This kit uses your home drill at 1500-2000 rpms and includes 500 grit, followed by 800 grit, followed by 3000 grit, followed by special 3M plastic polish. The results are truly amazing.
Old 09-30-08, 12:58 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i used toothpaste and a air buffer and now she's looking good as new, nothing fancy...no special products, just toothpaste and some car polish (not even plastic polish)

Old 10-02-08, 12:36 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

I use the Mother's or Meguiar's Mag/Aluminum Polish and it works pretty well. I'm going to have to try the toothpaste as well.
Old 10-02-08, 02:25 PM
bguild
Pole Position

guys, I care about you like you are my brothers and sisters so I don't want to see you waste your time. If your headlamps are excessively yellow (not just slightly yellow), polish, toothpaste, etc. might not work. Or, at least it didn't work in my case. I am convinced the only way to get 'er done if you are really yellowed up is some method of sanding combined with polishing.

More pics
Attached Thumbnails Best method to clean my healight lenses-img_1021.jpg  
Old 10-02-08, 02:28 PM
bguild
Pole Position

GO SOX! Slay those Rays
Attached Thumbnails Best method to clean my healight lenses-img_1017.jpg