Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Daylight running and driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 04:07 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Daylight running and driving lights

Hi folks , a newbe here. Just picked up my ES350 and have a question on lighting. I have the factory HID system but would like to get the daytime running lights and the lower driving lights to have the similar white light as the HID system. I don't like the yellow color. So from what I have seen in the OM it looks like the daytime RL's are 9005 and the Driving lights are 9006. Is that correct ??? and I think I can see what has to be removed to get to the daytime lights buy do you need to remove the inner fenders to change the driving lights. And last what is the recommended replacement bulbs for both of these in order to get the white light effect. Thanks for your help and this looks like a great all a round Lexus site.
Old 04-22-08, 10:34 AM
lexusnb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sup man, welcome here's my suggestions for you. If you don't mind losing the functionality of your high beams then I would pickup a pair of led bulbs from V-leds and replace them that way. Otherwise I don't think theres a bulb that will give you that real whiteish look. Now for your driving lights you can put an HID kit in there to match your headlights this should solve that problem easily. Hope this helps you out good luck and welcome to the boards.
Old 04-22-08, 10:53 AM
caballero7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Matching Colors

Jagtoes, first of all Welcome. I had the same issue with my ES, but I didn't have Factory HID. They looked like the car had HID, but they were bulbs(H7). I would first make sure I actually have HID, since the housing is the same for HID or Bulbs. Bulbs, I bought to try to get the HID look weren't so bad. Everyone thinks I do have HID, but I'm running a Bulb. I also changed the parking lights to match the bulbs I have.

Parking Lights: Piaa X-treme White Wedge Bulb.(Matchs HID Look a like very well).

Headlight Bulbs: H7 Luminics 5500K(HID Look a Like).

I will be buying the matching bulbs for the High Beams which are #9005 and Fog Lights #9006.

They should all match up pretty well. As for installation, I'll find out when they come in.

Peace!
Old 04-22-08, 03:35 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks Guys i'll give it a look.
Old 04-23-08, 05:23 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

For what its worth I had the same feeling about the lights on my ES350 and tried some solutions but was never really satisfied. I ordered some PIAA spark 8000K lights from Japan for the DRL. They looked great, kind of blue/purple but they were essentially useless as high beams. So I went with PIAA extreme for the DRL/High beams. They are “brighter” than other ES DRL’s but they are still yellow because of the lower voltage applied in the DRL mode by the car. I am going to live with it because it is distinctive but not what I really wanted. So I have the factory HID for the lows, the PIAA extreme for the DRL/Highs, and put the Sparks in for the fogs. The fogs are of course useless now but look cool and sort of match the HID’s – just as bright but “purple-er” (I guess the 8000K temperature makes them terrible as a light source to light up the road). I may try some LED’s at some point. PIAA has an LED bulb in Japan that are 6000K, those are intriguing.