Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

ES 300 Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-02, 03:43 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Lights

I went back and looked for this, this is what someone said about clearing the orange out of the lights.

clearing lights
Whats up fellas my cousin and I figured out how to do it I helped him finish one of his lights today, you have to unscrew the three screws that hold the headlight assembly in place make sure your lights are dissconnected, pop off the copper clips with a screwdriver, unscrew the silver screw by the blinker on the back, you will need a heat gun (blow dryer will not work) this process takes hours and you will probably mess up your headlight the first time, so be prepared to buy a new headlight, we had good luck because we took our time, use the heat gun to slowly and carefully melt the black glue where the black plastic seam is, use a flathead screwdriver and putty knife to pry it open when glue softens keep in mind not to melt the plastic around the seam (keep heat gun away from clear plastic glass) continue this process until you have opened the side where the amber strip is located, use needle nose pliers which is both clear and amber which covers the whole blinker area, pull it out slowly keep in mind that some black glue may still need softening the glue hardens when it becomes cold, after you have removed the insert , heat the glue again and press the to pieces back together it may take molding and smoothing out nothing a little muscle couldn't do, dont' worry about bends or scratches on the black plastic no one will see it when the headlight is in place. The glue solidify again when it cools retaining an airtight seal, good luck take your time, and do not seperate the two pieces completely only enough to reeach the amber strip, remember start looking fof used headlights on the internet because you will need one if you mess up. It is a two man job someone needs to pry it open while someone else heats the glue, If you guys don't think you can do this or if you just don't want to, let us know we will see what we can do for you I run a shop with my father we have alot of experience working on cars.
-lobo-
Old 02-12-02, 03:45 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Post Lights

Here is another part about clearing the lights

The hardest part is pulling apart the assembly enough to get to the insert, remember don't completely open the light or you won’t be able to get everything back together! Use a putty knife and a screwdriver to get in the seem and don't be afraid if you tear the corner on the side where the blinker is, everything will mold back together, and when you finally get the light together begin popping the copper clips back on this will help you as you go. Once every thing is back and sealed, the seem will look all bent out of shape and marks were you pried it open and the plastic stretched. Use the heat gun and the putty knife to mold everything back together slowly, it’s like you working with clay molding a masterpiece. And opening the light is tuff, you will scar it up a little shoving the screwdriver in the crack and pulling the lip over the seem to get into the assembly, but once you make enough room to get you little fingers in it, have someone heat the side as you pull it apart, this is wear strength training comes into play. Hold the light and heat one seem, then the other slowly until the glue starts to ooze and pull apart, remember keep the heat away from the clear plastic as much as you can but if you mess up the clear it will probably be underneath and out of sight though. Good luck and post you picks of your attempt as soon as you do it.
Old 02-12-02, 05:43 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clearing the lights.

Yes EGainer, the car that this post is referring to is mine. Here is a pic of the light housing after the "clearing." Notice the light is all chrome no orange insert, another cool thing is that the inserts are also clear and also cover the area where your blinker lights up and when removed will change the look there also. The insert has horizontal lines or grooves that when in conjunction with the grooves of the inner headlight blinker it creates a checkered pattern with lines going vertically and horizontally. When the horizontal lines are removes by taking out the clear and orange insert, your blinker area is left with only clean looking vertical lines. This makes your blinker bulbs a little more visible through the glass and a little tiny bit brighter. Below were the actual orange inserts were just looks clear showing the chrome of the headlight assembly inside. We do have awesome looking headlights for being stock! Lexus is good about that.
Old 02-12-02, 05:52 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Default The pic

The pic didn't post for some reason but here it is.
Attached Thumbnails ES 300 Lights-clear-coners.jpg  
Old 02-12-02, 06:03 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Post Clear Corners

Yes, I have seen your pictures. I like the way it looks a lot. I have blue-ish hyperwhites as my turn signals which is illegal here. But I want to take out the orange too. My problem is that I am 17. I have now money to buy a new headlight if this one messes up. Do you think I could have the Lexus dealer take my light apart and clean the inside while they are at it (it's getting dirty). I will tell them that the seal is already not air tight so it is ok. Maybe they can do it. Someone else told me I should go to a place where they install winshields because the black plastic is like winshield plastic. My friend said it looked like it would be easier to cut through the black plastic with a razor blade. And ask the winshield people how to put it back together. This heat thing sounds too dangerous. Thanks for your input.

- Eric
Old 02-12-02, 10:13 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

NEVER! Cut the plastic, that is the worst thing you can do! The heat thing is the best way mabey the winshield guys can heat it up and take it apart, but cleaning inside i dont know i would open it that mutch. Taking it to a dealer? They will not do it no matter what, they never take risks, unless you can pay someone there under the table to do it at his house, but then again you said you dont have money, this method costed me $29.00 the price of the heat gun. I feel you on the blueish blinker, freekin cop got me for them so im running hyper yellow the same bright yellow as my fogs! love it.
Attached Thumbnails ES 300 Lights-yellow-blinker.jpg  
Old 02-13-02, 03:57 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Default Lights

That sound cool. How did you get the black in the headlight like that, if that is what you did. It looks pretty cool.
Old 02-13-02, 04:48 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

No its all chrome I think thats just the way the light is hitting it. If you need any help or more questions feel free to ask.
Old 02-13-02, 05:49 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a question. even if you take out the amber insert, isn't the stock light that's in there orange? just asking.
Old 02-14-02, 04:05 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Post Stock Lamp

Yes, the original stock parking lamp bulb is orange. I have changed mine to hyper white. I might go to yellow now though. Looks cool. Later