Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

DIY: Fix for fogging 2GS headlights :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 07:49 PM
MrMarkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Can someone put up pics what exactly it is we are supposed to be checking and resealing.
I 2nd that...yesteray it rained and my driver side headlights and inner lights both have condensation! Pics Please! do you have to take off the headlights in order to seal these O rings?
Old 10-16-09, 12:11 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I would like to see the photos also.
Old 10-16-09, 02:13 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

same here we had some torrential storm here in the bay area and all the 2nd GS owners are in this thread with water in the headlights.

Would like to get the pics from this post posted or if someone that did this fix post some new pics.

please.
Old 10-16-09, 04:55 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so here is the peek a boo.

So Clockwise from the top.

1. Messed up head lights
2. Passenger side looking from the front of car
3. Top view Passenger side + 2 Philips.

They are on pretty tight and the heads look like they would strip if I tried this.

So this will be a project some other time for I will need to go to home depot or something and pick up a small ratchet, socket set

I also heard from a lot of folks that venting the headlights by drilling a 1/4 hole also would prevents this.

Where should the hole go?
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Fix for fogging 2GS headlights :)-headlight3.jpg   DIY: Fix for fogging 2GS headlights :)-headlight1.jpg   DIY: Fix for fogging 2GS headlights :)-headlight2.jpg  

Last edited by alexulan; 10-16-09 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-16-09, 06:21 PM
MrMarkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another question....today my head lamps that had condensation both city and head lights dried up....however a couple hours after leaving car out in the sun condensation came back! any ideas? I've been thinking about swapping out headlights but finding stock HID units seem to be extremely pricy! I never had issues till I recently changed my D2R bulbs...everything seems to be sealed up properly and vents are clear...no idea what's going on...PLEASE HELP!
Old 10-16-09, 09:18 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by alexulan
I also heard from a lot of folks that venting the headlights by drilling a 1/4 hole also would prevents this.

Where should the hole go?
I've heard this too. Does that plastic bubble leveler thing need to be sealed tight to prevent condensation? I think mine is real loose.
Old 10-21-09, 10:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There is metal bracing over those levels and most screws to get the cover off on my GS430, I guess you have to take all these metal pieces off just to take all the screws off and open the plastic top to try to reseal the plastic cover. I was hoping you could just get at the screws but with the metal blocking a couple it is going to be much more of a pain to take all those metal pieces off. Anybody have any issues when taking the metal bracing over the levels off?
Old 10-21-09, 01:25 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by UDel
There is metal bracing over those levels and most screws to get the cover off on my GS430, I guess you have to take all these metal pieces off just to take all the screws off and open the plastic top to try to reseal the plastic cover. I was hoping you could just get at the screws but with the metal blocking a couple it is going to be much more of a pain to take all those metal pieces off. Anybody have any issues when taking the metal bracing over the levels off?
Yeah, I know what you mean. I wish I would have done this before I re-mounted the headlights. So is this where the moisture/condensation coming in from?
Old 10-21-09, 01:58 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

someone fix this DIY. i need it bad. i think fishes are growing to find its new home in my headlights
Old 10-22-09, 11:23 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by LOLthxKbye
someone fix this DIY. i need it bad. i think fishes are growing to find its new home in my headlights
Hahahah..... 2GS owners are going green! Way to contribute to a more sustainable environment and help give fishes a new home.
Old 01-04-10, 10:20 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

So any updates on this? Pics available?
Old 01-13-10, 10:11 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Anybody got the pics?
Old 01-19-10, 05:19 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, I dug through my old files to see if I could find the pictures but for some reason they are not there :/.

The idea is to pretty much seal this opening. Take the cap off, put some epoxy/silicone in the channel where the rubber/foam gasket sits and then re-install the cap.

Old 01-20-10, 11:16 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New pictures

Remove the cover, yours might look a bit different as some headlights had bigger covers.

Put RTV silicone in the channel, as shown.

Put the cover back on, DO NOT PRESS IT.

tighten the screws gradually, you may see some silicone ooze out of the sides.

Note: this will only make sure that water doesnt get inside the headlight from this particular opening. It wont rid the moisture already present inside the headlight. You may want to throw in a pack or two of 5~10 gram weight silica gel desiccants.
Old 01-20-10, 12:18 PM
sleeper408

JnC: Great photos and simple DIY. Since the heavy rains these past 2 days in Norcal, my headlights have lot of moisture in the headlights. I resealed the headlights well so I suspect it's coming from that clear plastic leveler thingy. Mine is actually warped a bit because whoever did the retro for the previous owner baked the headlights with the plastic leveler cap still attached.

The problem is for the 2GS guys is the stupid metal bracket in the way.

Quick Reply: DIY: Fix for fogging 2GS headlights :)