GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you for the pics JnC.
Old 01-21-10, 12:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I washed my GS and the driver side headlight is absolutely ridiculous with how much moisture is in it from all the rain. The entire plastic area is covered in thick dull yellowish colored moisture drops that makes the headlight and inner light looks terrible. The driver said is not too bad and pretty clear with only a small amount of moisture which I don't mind. Unfortunately there is a bunch of metal bracing covering those screws to get at the levels. Maybe Home Depot or Lowes has a special screw driver that can get at them because there is no way I am going through the headache of taking out all that bracing just to get at those screws. There is so much moisture it is hard to believe it is coming just from that one area.
Old 01-22-10, 09:01 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I washed my GS and the driver side headlight is absolutely ridiculous with how much moisture is in it from all the rain. The entire plastic area is covered in thick dull yellowish colored moisture drops that makes the headlight and inner light looks terrible. The driver said is not too bad and pretty clear with only a small amount of moisture which I don't mind. Unfortunately there is a bunch of metal bracing covering those screws to get at the levels. Maybe Home Depot or Lowes has a special screw driver that can get at them because there is no way I am going through the headache of taking out all that bracing just to get at those screws. There is so much moisture it is hard to believe it is coming just from that one area.
My friend lent me his special "ratchet" type screwdriver but it still didn't work. I just used a long screwdriver instead. What you have to do is flex the plastic clear cap by pushing down gently onto the screw. I did this and it flexed enough and gave me the angle where I could unscrew/screw the cap. I think I did crack it just a bit though.
Old 02-02-10, 12:08 AM
gohdunlam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is for GS, but like i installed HID's in my Gf is250 and recently iono if its cause its been raining like crazy or the car cover she started using, the headlights has hella moisture, does the IS250 have a vent for moisture to leave? im thinking of going back to stock bulbs and replace the low beam cover since i had to drill it for the hid wiring...you guys think it'll be covered under warranty it was 09' with like 4xxx miles...im hella stressed out since...i installed it =(

gonna try to blow hot air in it to see if it helps, or could turning on the hi beams help dry it out?

Thanks
Old 02-19-10, 04:48 PM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would the SC300 have the same fix for this issue?

Originally Posted by JnC
New pictures

Remove the cover, yours might look a bit different as some headlights had bigger covers.

Put RTV silicone in the channel, as shown.

Put the cover back on, DO NOT PRESS IT.

tighten the screws gradually, you may see some silicone ooze out of the sides.

Note: this will only make sure that water doesnt get inside the headlight from this particular opening. It wont rid the moisture already present inside the headlight. You may want to throw in a pack or two of 5~10 gram weight silica gel desiccants.
Old 07-26-10, 08:11 AM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
There is metal bracing over those levels and most screws to get the cover off on my GS430, I guess you have to take all these metal pieces off just to take all the screws off and open the plastic top to try to reseal the plastic cover. I was hoping you could just get at the screws but with the metal blocking a couple it is going to be much more of a pain to take all those metal pieces off. Anybody have any issues when taking the metal bracing over the levels off?
Reference Post #18, Photo #2. I have a 99 GS400.

I drilled a small hole in the bracket above the obscured screw, just large enough to fit a small Phillips screwdriver through. The metal thickness here is very thin...I used a punch to center the drill bit and keep it from walking. Drilled thru rather nicely, and the screw is very easy to access with the new hole.

My $0.02.
Old 04-02-11, 04:12 PM
vscalais
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by degmla
Reference Post #18, Photo #2. I have a 99 GS400.

I drilled a small hole in the bracket above the obscured screw, just large enough to fit a small Phillips screwdriver through. The metal thickness here is very thin...I used a punch to center the drill bit and keep it from walking. Drilled thru rather nicely, and the screw is very easy to access with the new hole.

My $0.02.
PERFECT. How easy. Thanks.