Headlight Connector Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 08:00 AM
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Connector Corrosion

Headlight Connector Corrosion

Folks – I like to get some recommendation on my issue.
I have a LS400 ’95, standard headlight etc., on the passenger side the Headlight (low/high beam) does not work. I looked into the issue and found that the connector is corroded and worn out etc. … after re-attaching the connector the light went back on…. Then back off… I concluded that it is the connector and not the bulb. …

I went to the dealer and ask for a new bulb and connector based on my findings etc… They came back and stated, that no individual connector can not be replaced and that a harness is needed and its about $ 1400… well, a harness, 3 wires and 2 connectors for $ 1400 is a bit much!

I am looking for alternate options… any body with similar experience? … planning on a visit at Autozone as well….

Please let me know.

Many Thanks

I apologies, let me correct my statement from earlier today:

The Low beam light is not working. The high beam is OK

My initial assessment was that I simply need a new bulb…. Went and got a replacement bulb from AutoZone.
I tried to figure out how to replace it and got down were the connector was… I noticed the corrosion and minor distress around the connection….After looking in “how to” take the bulb out I gave up… took too long, small space to work in etc… and decided to have the dealer replace the bulb and wile in the area to replace the connector…

After I got everything back in .. I drove the care into the garage and noticed the low beam is working again….. and the next day it was off again… Based on that, I concluded it must have been the connector….
Dealer told me only a new harness can be replaced … costing $1400….

So, just got back from AutoZone, and asked for the required connector and sure they sell them as a pair for $10.

Of cause, the question is still open, do I have corroded connector are do I have something else wrong…. And should I replace the connector with the one from AutoZone? Or do I have additional alternatives?

Thanks… and yes I will take a picture once I get back into the area.

Last edited by afcsdbt; 06-09-08 at 09:59 AM. Reason: correct my statement
Old 06-09-08, 08:03 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post a picture of the connector, I'll see what I can do for you .
Old 06-23-08, 06:35 PM
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connector issue resolved.

Thanks JnC… the issue I got resolved.

I got a close look at the connector and found what looked like corrosion was just dust around the grease that is used for the connection… I installed a new bulb and cleand the connected up with added back grease etc…. I work perfectly….

However, I still wonder what did the folks from the dealer ship actually saw, when I had asked them to look at the connector…..

Thanks again.