Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails HID hues-hidcompare.jpg  
Old 02-19-02, 12:45 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Those last comparison pictures look quite exaggerated, if you ask me...
Old 02-19-02, 01:08 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

As far as I know, they aren't exaggerated. That is the output of a Hella ballast with Philips Ultinon true 6000K D2S bulb. Howie, because your HIDs are purplish in color, the light intensity is compromised for color (violet color has much higher wavelength therefore requires more energy to produce and consequently burns hotter--remember black lights??). This may be why you aren't familiar with such insense brightness. If you've ever ridden in a GS with OEM HIDs in a remote area, the brightness is very simliar, but not as broad ranged as the picture above. I suspect the picture I supplied has the Hella Bi-Xenon ballasts, which extend range a bit more. Hella ballasts are also much more expensive and intricate than the K2s, which can explain some other differences between your results. Typically German and some Japanese ballasts have much more complex networks comprised of heavier capacitors, which are capable of higher lumens than Korean-made ballasts. If you think the previous picture was exaggerated, here is Hella's sample of their Xenon HIDs...
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-02, 12:56 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Default a little something

here, my little contribution...

http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/...non_range.html

hope that helps those who are still wondering whats the thing with the D2S and the D2R, and yes, if you purchase the wrong type you wont be able to see s*** becuase the D2R inside the projector will block the only side that is not already blocked inside the projector, therefore giving you a very low light output...
Old 02-19-02, 01:14 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOK

I see all these back and forth 2nd guessing going on in this forum, about HID aftermarket lights and that our sc 9006 projector lenses are not "designed" for it..etc etc.

Whatever.

Look, I've had the phillips HID for over 2 years. They emitted a bright 4000K bright white light very similar to the GS400 and equal to. I have a friend who owns a GS400, and there was no difference in the intensity of his stock set up and mine.
Whoever has had an issue about it, probably didn't set it up right or something of that nature.

Just recently, I traded in my phillips HID lights for vision's HID kit. The VISION kit is an INTENSE blue/green light that is JUST like the Honda S200 lights.

People who've seen my car at night w/my HID projectors and HID fogs, say my car looks like a freight train going down the highway.

On the road, no only did I light up my lane, on a 3 lane road, but my lights lit up the 2 lanes next to me as well. Thats how BRIGHT these lights are.

So people who go back and forth about whether these lights work or not, most likely don't own them and go by heresay. If they DO own them, I invite them to see my lights and I'll show them how they should look.

AFTERMARKET BULBS that IMITIATE HID are crap.

Bulbs are crap. They actually take AWAY light because of their color. HID bulbs are twice as bright and there is no comparison.

hoops_24, you SHOULD buy a TRUE HID conversion kit, if you want the look. They have a LARGE lights\ spread and do not have to be auto leveled.

Everyone else is just worrying too much. I can't believe sometimes how much complaining goes on in here. And so much second guessing.

They run COOLER than those aftermarket bulbs and have less chance of burning your wires than those bulbs.

Currently, I still run the vision HID light setup. No problems. Bright Blue/green light.

I actually BOUGHT the K2 headlight set, thinking I'd try a PURPLE hue, but realized my funds couldn't handle it. That is WHY I am selling my k2 kit. The K2 kit is supposed to be brighter than the ones I have now. That is why I'm selliing them

HID lights work FINE in projector lenses like the ones in the SC400. GEt over it, to the ones who keep 2nd guessing. If you're that worried, don't buy them.

For those who do own the RIGHT ones, and installed them CORRECTLY there is no comparison. I am only selling because I can't afford it, not because the lights are bad.

Anthracite SC
Old 02-19-02, 06:35 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow

I have to stand by my opinion abd experience with my HID.

I do have the correct bulbs, D2S.

They are correctly installed and centered.

They are brighter than my stock bulbs.

My problem is the beam pattern. I have no problem lighting-up half of my neighborhood or the two lanes on either side of me. My concern is the 15-20ft directly in fron of me. I saw in the before/after pics in the parking lot...lots of light in the background but very little on the ground in front of the car.

I too have compared my lights to other stock HID lights and the beam patern isnt the same. And after lots of research find it hard to believe that the same beam pattern can be had with two bulbs that are so different in design. Take a good look at a stock bulb and a HID D2S...

As I mentioned before its just my opinion, but I wouldnt recommend this upgrade for the $$$

gadgetSC
Old 08-24-03, 11:56 PM
shyvpboi
Rookie

D2S? what kind of sizing is that. The HIDs i bought are 9006 sized. just curious
Old 08-25-03, 01:12 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by shyvpboi
D2S? what kind of sizing is that. The HIDs i bought are 9006 sized. just curious
D2 is the standard for HID. When you buy an "HID kit", you buy D2 bulbs that are rebased with fiberglass sockets to fit your 9006 halogen plug. Thus 9006 socket is the correct sizing for your SC.
Old 08-25-03, 04:21 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

This is just my experience, but for some reason 9006 bulbs don't fit in the Soarer light sockets If I was to buy an HID kit with 9005 (HB3) bulbs, would I have any problems about the lighting? I notice that HB3 bulbs fit fine in the Soarer lowbeam sockets but HB4 (9006) doesn't. It seems to me that the base (the part that mounts into the socket, if you can picture it) is too big for the socket hole (HB3 is 20mm, HB4 is 22mm).

Still looking for a good HID kit for the Soarer, but the ones I can find don't seem to be worth the money (basically from what I've read, basically get either Osram or Philips ballasts etc.), and plus with all this stuff about the laws about auto-levelling and over there in the US about vendors being fined for selling HID or whatever, I'm not sure if I can upgrade now. What's the situation so far on HID?
Old 08-25-03, 04:45 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i started out with the philips 4100k hid's about 3-4 yrs ago on my sc and wasn't pleased with the light output (initially) the beam pattern wasn't correct because of the base of the bulb-the fitting would not allow me to get the whole bulb into the housing,therefore not enough light would pass through the projector. as time went by(about a year) the bulbs actually got brighter and i was able to focus them to get enough light through the lens to hit the street- they actually started looking like hid's instead of hyper white bulbs!.....
(update)About 2 and a half years ago i purchaced the 6000k crystal whites. the fit perfectly into my headlight with no modifications-and the light output is BRIGHT!!!(because due to the fitting of the base of the bulb,i can get the whole bulb in and the light is going in the right direction). they give off a blueish light at first from cold start up and gradually level off to turn purple. i was very pleased with this purchase at the time because not many people had them but i'm currently looking for a more "stock" appearance. ialso have 8000k superwhites in my fogs which at cold start up looks greenish white/then level off to a bright piercing white with a bluiesh tint to it!

here's a pic:- (56k beware)
Attached Thumbnails HID hues-hid-expression.jpg  
Old 08-25-03, 05:24 AM
legendary
Racer

Thumbs up HIDs rule

I absolutely love my HID's
when I get my kit, I am going to get them in my fogs. I agree, if you do not put in the correct bulb, or it doesn't fit, the light will not be aimed properly, and appear dim, as would a normal bulb. I must say that this is the best upgrade you can enjoy...you will find reasons to drive at night

Last edited by legendary; 08-25-03 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-25-03, 08:49 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

i recently installed hids on my car.. my hids look weird cause the previous owner of the car did something to the passenger headlight and that distorted the light output a little bit. The top part of the beam is also yellow for some reason. It seems to be getting better over time though. Probably burning in as people call it. Even with this yellow and busted headlight, it is still 100x better than stock lights. With the stock bulbs i might as well drive without the lights on. It really makes no difference to me. I don't even see any light on the floor. As with gadget not being able to hit the floor with his lights. I had that problem too. I hit everywhere except the floor. If your hids are even hitting higher than another person's bumper.. they are raised too high already. I don't see y you can't adjust it lower. When you drive behind someone lets say 3 cars behind him your hids should only be at the middle of his trunk. Shouldn't be any higher. My friends raise their hids to blind people. I raise mine to the correct level to see the floor. Their way looks a lot better but they don't have any light on the floor in front of them.