Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyJ
Hey

That look really nice!!
I'm new to the club
I would like to add the lights on the lexus
Where can I get the bulbs from & can you tell me what bulbs I need?

Can't wait to see how it turn out

Thx
Thanks for the compliment!

If you search around you should be able find some real complete lists. Here is a short version:

INTERIOR:
Doors = 194 x4
Map = BA9S x2
F Dome = 3175 x1 ( I changed to CCFL's )
R Domes = 194 x2
Key = 74 x1
Glove = 74 x1
F Floor = 74 x2

EXTERIOR:
License Plate: 194 x2
Front Side Markers = 194 x2
Parking = 194 x2

Originally Posted by burgy
Look great, but the last thing I want to do is make it easier for the Cops to read my license plate. I have done full LED in all dome lights and door lights on both my cars. Great job and nice install!
In my youth I may have worried about something like this. No that I am all grown up I can care less what they see. Besides if they can't read your plate they are more likely to come follow you so they can read and run it. I am happy to let them run my plates, find out that my cars are all registers and legit, and then go bother someone else....who has dim LP lights.
Old 03-26-09, 01:26 PM
burgy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
In my youth I may have worried about something like this. No that I am all grown up I can care less what they see. Besides if they can't read your plate they are more likely to come follow you so they can read and run it. I am happy to let them run my plates, find out that my cars are all registers and legit, and then go bother someone else....who has dim LP lights.
And since I am no longer a sprite youth either I laugh if they pull me over and run my record only to find out they have wasted their time besides it's more the thieves actually that I don't need to help out.
Old 04-26-09, 03:08 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Ok so here is the CCFL License Plate Light Conversion DIY:

Remove the trunk lid liner by pulling off the 14 push in retainers and the two screws the secure the lid pull. You will also need to remove the emergency trunk release trim ring.

Remove the original bulb sockets from the OE license plate light housings. Uninstall the two bulbs that you will no longer need. Now remove the four nuts that secure the trunk bar to the trunk lid. Once those are removed squeeze the two clips on the trunk bar and pull it up at the same time to remove it.

Once the trunk bar has been removed uninstall the OE light housings from the car and store those away. Now fabricate a cover for the OE light opening in the trunk lid and a clear lens for the trunk bar. I used items found around the house for this - nothing special. Be sure to leave room to pass the CCFL plug through into the trunk in the inner cover. For the lens cover I used a MP3 players hard packaging. It was cut and ground it into shape. They are both attached with 3M molding tape.

Now on to the actual CCFL lights. Grind or sand them down to resemble the picture below. This will allow them to fit in the trunk bar. Their full brightness was too much for me so I covered roughly 50% of them in black vinyl. This of course can be changed to your preference. Apply 3M double stick tape to the ends where they will attach to the trunk lid and lens, the more square side.

Please excuse the ignorance, but my dad just picked up a GS400 and I have a couple LED's lying around from doing the swap to my SC400 that I want to put in the GS. The SC was no problem when doing this because all I did was pop off the covers with a flathead screwdriver and was good to go, but when I look at the GS' they seem to be a bit more on the complicated side and I don't want to risk breaking the lenses. Sorry to ramble on, but I am just wondering if I have to remove everything like you showed in here to get to the bulbs or if I can just pop off the covers like I did with my SC. Thanks and great job on the conversion.
Old 04-26-09, 05:54 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Please excuse the ignorance, but my dad just picked up a GS400 and I have a couple LED's lying around from doing the swap to my SC400 that I want to put in the GS. The SC was no problem when doing this because all I did was pop off the covers with a flathead screwdriver and was good to go, but when I look at the GS' they seem to be a bit more on the complicated side and I don't want to risk breaking the lenses. Sorry to ramble on, but I am just wondering if I have to remove everything like you showed in here to get to the bulbs or if I can just pop off the covers like I did with my SC. Thanks and great job on the conversion.
You do need to remove the trunk liner, or at last partially so that you can squeeze your arm in. Once that's out you can just replace the bulbs.
Old 04-27-09, 04:57 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

You do need to remove the trunk liner, or at last partially so that you can squeeze your arm in. Once that's out you can just replace the bulbs.
K great! Thanks, man.
Old 05-14-09, 08:00 PM
iazybandit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost 1 year and my cathodes are still kicking. No complaints from those who have purchased from me as well.
Old 05-15-09, 12:24 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by iazybandit
... Granted, I put this in my Camry, it was simply plug and play. It works with any car that uses 194/921 bulbs. In the process of making them work in 3022/3175 festoon bulbs. Just need to order parts. I have some laying around if anyone is interested.
... The ones I have laying around have built-in reverse polarity. So if you plug it in the wrong way and it doesnt work, just flip the plug around. No need to replace fuse or inverter.
Originally Posted by iazybandit
... No complaints from those who have purchased from me as well.
Glad to hear they are still working but you should probobly save the sales pitches for the classifieds unless you are a Authorized Club Lexus Vendor. I also find it odd that you say you have them "laying around if anyone is interested" but then you Cardomain site is a Web Store for them. Very curious

Please don't try to drum up sales on my thread.
Old 06-13-09, 12:47 AM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow i thought this mod would be a lot more expensive. i just picked up my gs430 and put led's in the license lights but i will consider doing this in the near future! great work
Old 06-15-09, 07:56 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by lo_dit
wow i thought this mod would be a lot more expensive. i just picked up my gs430 and put led's in the license lights but i will consider doing this in the near future! great work
Thanks! Yeah it was pretty cheap Just a few bucks and some time. Definitely worth it. They look great in person.