Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Whats wrong with this cut off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-08, 12:32 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Whats wrong with this cut off?

Ok, these are suppose to be projectors off an LS, however I'm not too impressed with their output, but thats not my problem. Here are some pics, the first picture is of the right projector has a nice cutoff, but tapers and does its own thing as it moves away from the car (to the right) I thought the cut off was suppose to be clean throughout the peripheral? The second picture is of the LEFT headlight and well it speaks for itself? why the heck is it all distorted like that? The LAST picture are of both. I'm waiting on a set of ugly used headlights I ordered so I can remove these and take my time on figuring this out. An OTHER important question.... WERE THESE PROJECTORS INSTALLED BACKWARDS? (left on right, right on left) I know once I get into them, I'll probably find out whats going on, but I thought I'd ask the experienced on here what to look for just in case I over look some thing... thanks:

I expected this

But got this?

now I understand that I can fabricate that metal cutoff to eliminate that dip, but that still doesn't explain the left one being so distorted! Thanks again for any insight.
Old 11-21-08, 12:44 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like they aren't properly aimed, and need to be rotated parallel to the ground. Picture of the headlights? (off preferably)

Maybe they aren't LS430's? Do you have the LS430 shrouds and everything?

Also, what HID bulb are you using?
Old 11-21-08, 12:45 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

looks like someone might have screwed around with the projectors, tried to modify them. They are misaligned and look to be improperly installed. It is known that if the projectors are sitting too far back in the gs housing it will cutoff the width as well.
Old 11-21-08, 01:01 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey same problem as you...I think it's the cutoff shield that is somewhat bent/moved closer towards the bulb...pretty annoying, but I lived with it. I haven't heard any sort of remedy
Old 11-21-08, 01:01 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well first off, the bulb is cheap one until the new ones come in this weekend. But even with the philips that came with them, I had the same problem with them. As for being the 430's, well I got the whole assemble off a member on here. Yea, they came with the shrouds. Heres a pic. Oh yea, what am I suppose to rotate? the whole projector assembly? thanks

Old 11-21-08, 01:04 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm... good point on them sitting too far back.. Yea, I can tell that an unexperienced person did the retro. I've done a few, but for some reason I decided to trust what was done.. shame on me! LoL.. I'll just take them all apart and redue them all over again from scratch. (unless the halos prohibit that...) and yea, i'll double check the distance of the bulb to the metal plate.
Old 11-21-08, 01:10 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Hit up member JnC on either here or HIDplanet.com/forums. He's done quite a few.
Old 11-22-08, 08:31 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Default Wow!

Well, today I got the set of 4 HID's for the projectors and highs... So I installed them and MAN! I guess the 2 prior sets of bulbs I was using were bad! Kind of weird! Anyways, got a GREAT cutoff now! and some AWESOME output! They need just a little bit of adjusting (left to right) but other than that, they look great! Sorry to Lexus for doubting the LS projector!
Old 11-26-08, 05:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Post us some pics please
Old 11-26-08, 08:07 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Gonna have to wait... something happened a bulb blew out! guess thats what happens when you use cheap bulbs. it took the connector with it to the ballast! anyways, its raining like crazy too, so yea gonna have to wait till it lets up.
Old 11-26-08, 12:09 PM
Kaydee

forgot...When I changed to an aftermarket bulb, the problem is a bit better but not completely gone...but the problem with that is that the output sucks...so I switched them back to the 85122+ and lived with it
Old 11-26-08, 12:55 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At first, I was thinking that the ground wire on the HID bulb was the culprit.....facing up (at 12 o'clock) or facing down (at 6 o'clock). The ground wire can cause distortion. In projectors, i believe it should be facing down in the unit.
Old 11-26-08, 01:21 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Jokster you have PM!
Old 11-26-08, 06:14 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
At first, I was thinking that the ground wire on the HID bulb was the culprit.....facing up (at 12 o'clock) or facing down (at 6 o'clock). The ground wire can cause distortion. In projectors, i believe it should be facing down in the unit.

I found out that the bulb was no completely flush with the "hole" it goes into. When I went to switch out the bad one with the original one that was though to be bad, I decided to examine it a bit more to see why it was so bad (cause it was doing it again) and come to find out that even though the bulb was staying in, it wasnt pressed all the way in. It kind of looks like the back of the projector has a small clip for the bulb to snap in to (before and in addition to the wishbone holder) so I pushed in and heard and saw a snap and the cut off was beautiful! Right now I'm using the 85122+ and I HATE the yellow look! So I'm just going to get yet another pair of the 6000k's..

can anyone tell me what the difference between the Phillips and the aftermarket hid? DOES it have better out put, or is it just better quality and lasts longer? I hate to have to pay so much just to have it last longer
Old 11-26-08, 06:54 PM
Kaydee

try the 85123...I'm not 100% sure but I think they are 5000k...Maybe emoshun can clarify

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with this cut off?