Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Installing resistor for led tails

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08 | 07:52 AM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Default Installing resistor for led tails

hey,

I just bought a set led tail lights with custom made led signal. They also gave me a resistor, but im not sure which wire I should solder it to. Can you guys please help me???

heres a pic...
Attached Thumbnails Installing resistor for led tails-img_0886.jpg  
Old 12-19-08 | 02:54 PM
1SWTGS
Lead Lap

hope this helps http://superlumination.com/images/leds/installation.jpg or http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/...istor_info.pdf

Last edited by 1SWTGS; 12-19-08 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-23-08 | 09:22 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

can i install the resistor directly to the signal wire?
Attached Thumbnails Installing resistor for led tails-img_0886.jpg  
Old 12-23-08 | 11:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Heres a copy of the write up I did in a PM for "Garbage":

you can install the resistor to any part of the wire. However, to be CERTAIN that it will work, I would do it between the factory wire and the transformer that they sent to you. Its just a guess, but I'm PRETTY confident that the black box with the gell that came with the kit does the exact same thing as these resistors but for the brake lights only. that "transformer" (black box) has the wires coming out of it for both the brake lights AND the blinkers/reverse lights, but I dont think it functions for the blinkers/reverse lights.. any ways, to be sure, I'd install the resistors between it and the factory wires.

The last picture is of the harness that came with the tails (bad pic sorry)

so what you can do, as to not tinker with the factory harness, is yes use the ones that came with the tails. in your picture you have 3 harnesses on one side, then the harness that go to the housings. you'll be working on the side with 3 harnesses. Down below is your pic marked A,B and C.

If I'm not mistaken, A and B go to the black box while C goes to the factory harness. You'll be attaching the resistor to C. Now "C" should have 6 wires with the following color codes (for those reading for reference to do on FACTORY tails, the green/yellow and white/black wires are the SAME color on the factory harness!):

Each dot in the middle represents the stripe color. The wires that work on the blinker are the ones at the bottom, white/black and green/yellow. Those are the ones you will splice into. Using those connectors. You can get those connectors at any hardware store or just go to an auto parts store (Kragen, Auto Zone etc.) Here again is the crappy pic of where I spliced into the tail harness:

HERES A PIC OF IT DONE ON THE FACTORY HARNESS, YOU CAN SEE THAT THE WIRE COLORS ARE THE SAME THAT THEY'RE SPLICED TO: