Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID problem or bad luck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 01:43 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID problem or bad luck?

I have a 2007 IS350 with stock HIDs and about a year ago i changed the bulbs to 6000k because i hated the stock HID color. After about a year of using them i noticed that my driver side light was really purple. A couple of days later the light went out. I took the bulb out and the bulb was blown. I bought a new set of bulbs (5000k) and put them in and noticed that the driver side bulb was flickering. I sent the bulb back to the company, thinking that the bulb was a defect and temporarily put in the 6000k bulb from the passenger side. Everything worked fine for about 2-3 weeks until the same thing started happening. The drivers side light turned really purple (the color of that face) and then a couple of days later the bulb went out. I took out the bulb an noticed that the bulb was again blown.

Could it be that i really have bad luck with all these bulbs or is something wrong with my car?

I was thinking that the ballast could be bad but its really just a random guess...

I would take my car into the dealership but im afraid that it might not be covered in the warranty because i painted the outside of my headlights...

Could someone please help me out....

Last edited by kschawaii; 01-21-09 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-21-09, 02:34 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

just put back the OEM bulbs n be happy =p haha
Old 01-21-09, 02:51 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring it in for warranty, painting the outside of the headlights have nothing to do with the bulbs or ballast. Make sure your OEM bulbs are in.
Old 01-21-09, 03:24 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

who did you buy the bulbs from and what brand is it???
Old 01-21-09, 04:02 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

I may have mis-placed my OEM bulbs but the first set of bulbs i bought were from xenon-depot. I think they were xtreme or phillips. The second set of bulbs were off of ebay.

But do you guys think that the ballast might be the problem?
Old 01-26-09, 08:52 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts
Default gl

Originally Posted by kschawaii
I have a 2007 IS350 with stock HIDs and about a year ago i changed the bulbs to 6000k because i hated the stock HID color. After about a year of using them i noticed that my driver side light was really purple. A couple of days later the light went out. I took the bulb out and the bulb was blown. I bought a new set of bulbs (5000k) and put them in and noticed that the driver side bulb was flickering. I sent the bulb back to the company, thinking that the bulb was a defect and temporarily put in the 6000k bulb from the passenger side. Everything worked fine for about 2-3 weeks until the same thing started happening. The drivers side light turned really purple (the color of that face) and then a couple of days later the bulb went out. I took out the bulb an noticed that the bulb was again blown.

Could it be that i really have bad luck with all these bulbs or is something wrong with my car?

What type of brand you using? The original ballast supports only 35w. If you bought the hid from mobilehid, you have to buy the harness to support their 50w hids. GL!
I was thinking that the ballast could be bad but its really just a random guess...

I would take my car into the dealership but im afraid that it might not be covered in the warranty because i painted the outside of my headlights...

Could someone please help me out....
What type of brand you using? The original ballast supports only 35w. If you bought the hid from mobilehid, you have to buy the harness to support their 50w hids. GL!
Old 01-26-09, 09:39 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

it is not bad luck, unless you get phillips or osram, sylania bulbs, all else is crap...

you can read about HIDs here http://intellexual.net/hid.html
Old 01-27-09, 12:29 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Sounds like the ballast.
Old 01-27-09, 03:04 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

that's a ballast issue due to using after-market bulbs which drew different a different current. Your ballast is shot.
Old 01-28-09, 01:14 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cduluk
that's a ballast issue due to using after-market bulbs which drew different a different current. Your ballast is shot.

If it is my ballast that is shot, would you guys recommend me getting the OEM ballast from Lexus or getting an aftermarket one?

Also is there any way that i can test the ballast or to somehow see if the problem is for sure the ballast?
Old 01-28-09, 02:44 PM
Buku_Bippu
Driver School Candidate

Another possibility is that moisture is going into the headlight, and the radical change in temperature and moisture can pop bulbs, so if the seal on those bulbs arent any good it will keep doing it. OEM is always best man stick with it!
Old 01-28-09, 10:56 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
huh?? mobilehid doesn't have 50w D4S bulbs. we only have 35w and they're actually on super clearance right now. If you buy a kit with the heavy duty ballasts, a harness COMES WITH IT.

where do you get your information?
Old 01-28-09, 10:59 PM
Revenge Motorsports
Driver

If you touch the bulb with your bare hands the oil from your hands can cause it to burn out, but i would my finger at a bad ballast get OEM
Old 01-28-09, 11:16 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the OP has OEM HID... i think we spoke today actually... my suggestion is to stick with OEM HID bulbs because many aftermarket bulbs are not designed to the right specs.

my offer on that d4s bulb still stands if you buy a fog light kit man.

thanks.

clifford
Old 01-28-09, 11:27 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

If it is my ballast that is shot, would you guys recommend me getting the OEM ballast from Lexus or getting an aftermarket one?
Your OEM HID gave no problems.

Your cheap aftermarket bulb blew your ballast.

Now you're asking if you should go back to OEM, or dig yourself a deeper grave.

Also is there any way that i can test the ballast or to somehow see if the problem is for sure the ballast?
Switch bulbs guy!