Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

55w ballast in OEM HID

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 02:15 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 55w ballast in OEM HID

Ive been having problems with my OEM HIDs on my IS350 and after thinking about it for a while, im thinking about going a different route.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...-bad-luck.html

(link to the problems i was having)

I was first thinking about just putting back the OEM bulbs on my car and having the dealership possibly replacing the ballast through warranty. But since i have painted my headlights (example shown below) i was thinking that maybe i should just buy a set of aftermarket ballasts (55w) and bulbs (6000k 55w) so that it would be brighter.

(pic of scawacs' car)

What do you guys think?

Also are there any pros and cons to me doing this other than me voiding my warranty?

Would the auto leveling system still work if i swap out the OEM ballast?

Would converting to 55w from 35w damage any parts?
Old 02-02-09, 06:47 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hmmm I don't remember...but putting a higher wattage bulb (55w) in a housing that is designed for 35w will likely damage the bowl. The heat is likely to burn the reflector bowl rendering the projector unit useless....at least that's how I remember it. Go to HIDPlanet, they have something about this
Old 02-02-09, 09:13 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't.....50w ballast will generate too much heat. You will also be blinding the #$^#& out of everyone on the road. They put out a tremendous amount of light. I wouldn't have smoked your lens in the first place.
Old 02-02-09, 11:27 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The 55 will over power your blinker...no one will see your signal--unless you rewire signal to sidemarker or something else.
Old 02-02-09, 11:34 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

here's what it COULD look like, but some HIDplanet members have done it

Old 02-03-09, 11:48 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

To the OP, if you attempt to post this on HID Planet, please be advised to wear your flame suit.

Old 02-03-09, 02:43 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

I have read on the boards here that some people were actually retrofitting their OEM ballasts to 75w.

But anyways, ive also read on HIDplanet that alot of people were buying 55w ballasts and using the OEM 35w Phillips bulbs and they were doing fine.. Alot of people were say that as long as you dont use the bulbs that come with the kit, its ok...

Last edited by kschawaii; 02-03-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 04:19 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Do they make 55w ballasts for D4S bases?
Old 02-05-09, 10:45 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

No because D4S is lower lumen output than typical mercury filled bulbs.

So you're starting off at a disadvantage from the get go, why boost D4S, when you can just switch to OEM D2S, be brighter, and then if it's not enough, boost the OEM D2S ballast and throw in the correct bulbs.
Old 02-06-09, 12:59 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

are the d4s and d2s bulbs interchangeable?
Old 02-06-09, 09:05 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

You run D4S bulbs with D4S ballasts, and D2S/D2R bulbs with D2S ballasts.

As for the base, yes they are the same P32d2 bases. D2R's have the round notch clocked 45º to the opposite side.
Attached Thumbnails 55w ballast in OEM HID-philips_3000k_d2s_nahled.png  
Old 02-06-09, 05:17 PM
UCLAJimmy
Pole Position

dude thats too much watts ur headlight is going to blow
Old 02-18-09, 07:35 PM
bursond
Pole Position

Exclamation

Originally Posted by kschawaii
Ive been having problems with my OEM HIDs on my IS350 and after thinking about it for a while, im thinking about going a different route.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...-bad-luck.html

(link to the problems i was having)

I was first thinking about just putting back the OEM bulbs on my car and having the dealership possibly replacing the ballast through warranty. But since i have painted my headlights (example shown below) i was thinking that maybe i should just buy a set of aftermarket ballasts (55w) and bulbs (6000k 55w) so that it would be brighter.

(pic of scawacs' car)

What do you guys think?

Also are there any pros and cons to me doing this other than me voiding my warranty?

Would the auto leveling system still work if i swap out the OEM ballast?

Would converting to 55w from 35w damage any parts?

35W vs 55W HID Kits

55W HID kits do produce slightly more light (approximately 15%-20%) than a 35W HID Kit. This increased light output usually results in a less even light spread and additional glare. 55W ballasts are not as efficient as 35W ballasts that we sell meaning that 55W ballast longevity will be compromised. Many merchants that sell 55W HID claim that 55W is a superior technology. However, there is a reason that all cars that come with HID lights from the factory still use 35W technology and not 55W technology.

What is HID Technology?

Xenon HID lamps do not have a filament like a halogen bulb. Instead the light is created by an electrical discharge between two electrodes in an air tight tiny quartz capsule filled with xenon gas, mercury, and metal halide salts. This improves bulb durability as road vibrations can cause damage to coil lighting technologies. HID technology produces a blue-white light that is safer given that it is close to natural daylight. The color temperature is approximately 4200K compared to 3200K for halogen. HID technology also produces increased light output. A 35W Xenon HID lamp will produce approximately double the light of a 55W halogen bulb. Furthermore, HID technology will draw less power than a 55W halogen bulb from your vehicle's electrical system.

HID Color Temperature Explained

Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that color temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or HID kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the color temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a color temperature of approx 12,000k and has almost no usable light or lumen output. (http://www.kbcarstuff.com/HID_Kits_H...2001_s/216.htm)
Attached Thumbnails 55w ballast in OEM HID-clrtemp.gif  
Old 03-17-10, 04:54 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but many audi drivers with stock 35w hids replace theirs with 55w ddm and no problems
Old 10-09-10, 03:09 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im thinking on doing this...has anyone had any problems on a isx50 with oem hid..mine has oem hid w 6k bulbs..thanks

Quick Reply: 55w ballast in OEM HID