Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

DRL LED installed in 2nd gen gs!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 05:40 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default DRL LED installed in 2nd gen gs!!

I believe I am first to have this done succesfully. All thanks to v-leds for hooking it up and doing the research necessary to get it to work. Ill post pics either tonight or tomorrow. But for those who want to do this also

http://v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRL-L...01806-1-3.html thats what you need.
Old 03-06-09, 10:10 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

pictures as promised

my custom side markers

markers with v-leds 19 led 194 bulb on

drl only on

lows/fogs/and v-leds 4 led backfiring 194 on

low and drl high on
Old 03-06-09, 10:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

So your DRLs are now white LED instead of that ugly amber/yellow DRL running during the day when the headlights are off and you are also able to have and use your LED high beams that are stronger/brighter then the LED DRLs, what I am trying to say is that you are able to use both your LED DRLs and LED Highbeams and when you use your LED Highbeams they are much brighter or using more power then the LED DRLs?

Are the LED DRLs especially bright and possibly blinding to other drivers to where they will think you have your highbeams on and flash you?

What was the difficulty of this installation and how much does everything end up costing? If it is not too expensive or difficult or gives any issues I will highly consider this mod. Congrats on finally being able to get this to work which has frustrated many 2nd Gen GS owners for awhile Hopefully they last as long as the standard units and don't you any issues. I am sure this is going to become a very popular mod.
Old 03-06-09, 10:34 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Um I have not driven the car much after the install to see if I am blinding anyone nor have I tried out the high beams. As far as install goes its not bad, but your kind of dealing with tight areas. Its as simple as hooking up the passenger side bulb to the harness connector and running the wire all the way to the drivers side where it gets the power from. The passenger side plug hooks up to a resistor which you mount in that area.

Ill try to get some in car shots in a dark area when I get a chance.
Old 03-07-09, 05:47 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't this the brand that also disables the high beam? I remember reading a thread about a mod from VLEDS that gets rid of the dull DRL's but makes your high beams unusable.
Old 03-07-09, 08:55 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

No I still have function of both the drl's and also high beams. I have not tested them out on a dark road yet to see how well they light up the road, but I still have them.
Old 03-07-09, 05:30 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
No I still have function of both the drl's and also high beams. I have not tested them out on a dark road yet to see how well they light up the road, but I still have them.
Wow that's nice to hear. I gotta find that thread which talked about a similar mod from the same company but makes high beams unusable.

**Update**
Here's the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...cs-inside.html

Last edited by MrG4Life; 03-07-09 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-08-09, 11:01 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Well I dont know why he lost his high beams because this guy https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-install.html installed in on his isf and still retained them. Im not running the modules on my gs cause they will not work, but either way with the resistor I am using I do have both drl and high beam.

Heres another thread saying that his high beams also work

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...stalled-2.html
Old 03-10-09, 05:35 PM
MRTUND350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still have high beams, it's not like they shut off, they're just not as bright as a 65w halogen bulb, not even close. These LEDs are bright when you look at them, but they don't, and never were intended to light up the road. They are DRLs! If you want bright *** high beams, convert to HIDs. You will loose your DRL unless you install resistors and a relay harness to power the ballasts. But that is ridiculous because you will be blinding people all day. You can't have your cake and eat it too..... unless you do some modifying and tricky wiring!
Old 03-10-09, 08:19 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

I honestly barely ever use high beams. I live in an area where it is mostly lit up and I intend to do a ls430 retro in the near future, so I believe I will have more than enough light.
Old 03-10-09, 08:56 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Glad you still got the high beam! No high beam for me but I don't really use them anyways. They look sick during the day tho
Old 03-18-09, 10:12 AM
1SWTGS
Lead Lap

I order the same harness it works but it getting 1/2 power to the dlr's not as bright when I hooked up to a switch.so I took out the harness and use the switch.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...c-led-dlr.html
Old 03-19-09, 10:54 AM
conussd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just installed the same kit from v-leds yesterday as well. it works great. i was driving to work this morning and the drl's aren't super bright to where you're blinding people but enough for them to know that you're there. when you turn on the high beams, it's not very bright, but then again i have hid's so i rarely need the high beams unless i'm flashing an idiot at a four-way stop sign. i will admit having the white drl's is cool and the led bulbs cast a cool pattern in the reflectors.
Old 03-19-09, 04:44 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
I believe I am first to have this done succesfully. All thanks to v-leds for hooking it up and doing the research necessary to get it to work. Ill post pics either tonight or tomorrow. But for those who want to do this also

http://v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRL-L...01806-1-3.html thats what you need.
Originally Posted by conussd
i just installed the same kit from v-leds yesterday as well. it works great. i was driving to work this morning and the drl's aren't super bright to where you're blinding people but enough for them to know that you're there. when you turn on the high beams, it's not very bright, but then again i have hid's so i rarely need the high beams unless i'm flashing an idiot at a four-way stop sign. i will admit having the white drl's is cool and the led bulbs cast a cool pattern in the reflectors.
Can any of you guys post pics of how the lights look during the daytime.

I too don't use my high beams for driving. Instead I use more as a signal.
Old 03-19-09, 06:33 PM
1SWTGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Can any of you guys post pics of how the lights look during the daytime.

I too don't use my high beams for driving. Instead I use more as a signal.
This is with a switch.

Quick Reply: DRL LED installed in 2nd gen gs!!