Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Those with TSX Retrofits, please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 10:54 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with TSX Retrofits, please read

Hey guys.... i am about to finish up my retrofit and had a question before sealing it back up this week.
Do you guys have any glare from the Chrome housing?
If so, what is the fix? just paint it a dark, matte color?
I was thinking about leaving it chrome but from research, the pictures i have seen, it looks like there are lots of glare, or it can be just the pictures so i would like those who have actual experience from their retrofits.

Thanks guys. Any comments appreciated.
Old 03-23-09, 02:31 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

you mean glare above the cutoff? or that weird 'flare' to the right of the steps?

TSX projectors aren't the best... they have a lot of glare. Your best bet is to paint the side of the shield facing the lens flat black.

Go to hidplanet.com. Make an account and post this same question in the general forum. You will get hundreds of responses from people who've used these exact projectors- they'll be able to help you better.

Or just get better projectors
Old 03-23-09, 03:09 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cduluk
you mean glare above the cutoff? or that weird 'flare' to the right of the steps?

TSX projectors aren't the best... they have a lot of glare. Your best bet is to paint the side of the shield facing the lens flat black.

Go to hidplanet.com. Make an account and post this same question in the general forum. You will get hundreds of responses from people who've used these exact projectors- they'll be able to help you better.

Or just get better projectors
really? i remembered reading on hidplanet that tsx projectors are on top 10 projectors available out right now, and one of the few that can be easily put into the sc. well anyways....
as far as glare, i guess i might have to spray paint the chrome housing for limited glare. thanks.

Peter

anyone else?
Old 03-23-09, 03:43 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

TSX are not the best, but they're the best that can fit our housings. but I'm not sure if anyone ever did a hybrid setup...here are some pics taken a year ago...ignore the effed up cutoff, it had since been fixed...keep in mind the wall is a bit glossy, tiniest bit of glare with the chrome housing, but never to a point where I feel like driving with a reflector housing...you can paint it satin silver, if you don't like the blacked it look, or at least the ridged part because when I stand in front of the headlight, I see a lot of reflection on that part

what you will see soon enough

Old 03-23-09, 03:49 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I thought TSX projectors themselves give off a little bit of a flare in output due to their inherent design (?)
After seeing so many retros with chrome housings with none to minimal glare, I do not think that glare is a problem, especially if the projectors are seated correctly and not shining directly into the housings.
Old 03-23-09, 04:03 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

TSX projectors are supposed to be that way. They have that weird flare and a lot of glare above the cutoff. It was designed to illuminate street signs etc.

The flare isn't fix-able. But to eliminate some of the glare, you can paint the cutoff shield flat black. It won't be perfect.. but it'll help (:

Yeah, TSX are not in the top 10, no way. They're down there with IS and e55 projectors lol.... They're better than stock halogen that's about it.
Old 03-23-09, 05:20 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

It's fairly normal, considered as squirrel spotters almost, just little spots above the cutoff line to show signs and such.

TSX projectors are pretty good in themselves, fairly cheap as projectors go, definitely comparable with TL projectors, except for bi-xenon of course.
Old 03-23-09, 05:30 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cduluk
TSX projectors are supposed to be that way. They have that weird flare and a lot of glare above the cutoff. It was designed to illuminate street signs etc.

The flare isn't fix-able. But to eliminate some of the glare, you can paint the cutoff shield flat black. It won't be perfect.. but it'll help (:

Yeah, TSX are not in the top 10, no way. They're down there with IS and e55 projectors lol.... They're better than stock halogen that's about it.
haha I think they're still a heckuva lot better than the 2IS projectors --> See my sig link.
Old 03-23-09, 08:43 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

They're not comparable to the TL, that i also know... TL's are known for their intensity and sharpness of the cutoff.

People just think TSX's are really good because they're better than halogen, which is what most retrofitters start with. Coming from halogen, any HID projector looks good :P
Old 03-23-09, 09:41 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Kinda weird... you guys are saying that tsx cutoff's are no good, i've seen many nice cuttoffs and color on hidplanet from the guys who did they tsx retro's.

Are you guys running the fresnel projectors or clear lens projectors?
Old 03-24-09, 12:13 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

the flare is present no matter what lens you use on the TSX. You can get color with any projector. It's just that the sharpness width and intensity of the TSX just don't compare with others, that's all
Old 03-24-09, 08:41 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well you're comparing projectors that won't even fit into the housing, so kind of a moot point to me. In terms of projectors overall, then yeah the TSX is not on the top of the list, but in terms of what fits, it's up there. I'd rather have TSXs than E46s or A4s...
Old 03-24-09, 10:29 PM
striker_18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaydee
well you're comparing projectors that won't even fit into the housing, so kind of a moot point to me. In terms of projectors overall, then yeah the TSX is not on the top of the list, but in terms of what fits, it's up there. I'd rather have TSXs than E46s or A4s...
rx330's fit.
sc430's fit
RL's fit
S2000's fit
FX's fit
Old 03-24-09, 10:54 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

I'd say anything 3" or less will indeed fit. That basically included 90% of the projectors out there.

And yes, Rx330 AFS projectors are very good, much better than TSX.
Old 03-24-09, 11:18 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I've read somewhere at some point that the older tsx projectors were better than some of the later models? Is this true?

Quick Reply: Those with TSX Retrofits, please read