Old 04-18-02, 04:20 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID again =)

hey, check out this webpage

www.suvlights.com

their stuff is priced good

espically for what i got a autolamps-online.com. i paid 579 there while at this place, it cost 480. you can also choose which ever kind of ballast you want to choose. also their bulbs are about 10% brighter i think.

this place is pretty interesting. i'm thinking of getting those HID fog lamps for about 500. not bad considering they are HID's

either that or another set for my sisters car =)
Old 04-19-02, 01:17 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Opinion on "fake" HIDs

I drively mainly in city and am ok with the regular halogens. But I love the cool blue/white look of HIDs. What is your opinion on the fake HIDs? How much do they cost? Any recommendations?

Senthil
Old 04-21-02, 08:20 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

those "fake" hid are stupid. i do not recomen them. here is how they work. they are just ordinary Halogen bulbs dipped in a thin layer of blue paint and they up the wattage. if you look on ANY of those "fake" hid bulbs i will garantee you they will all be 80+watts. while our stock ones are only 55w. the 80+ watts will melt your wireing harness and maybe some other major damage down the line. i have first hand experience. it will cost you big bucks to fix your headlight wires. these bulbs cost anywhere from 10-40 dollars or piaa which are 60-100 which i don't think are worth it.
Old 04-22-02, 08:00 AM
white01
Driver

Default 6000k Bulb retrofit

Spitneews, a friend of mine has a buddy who is a mechanic. Apparently he does HiD upgrages regularly, and he gets the kits from Lexus. My question is, if I go with the OEM ballast and bulbs, etc. can I upgrage to the Phillips 6000k Ultinons later? I'm told the kits use D2R bulbs. With the kit in place is it a plug & play deal with the 6K's?
Old 04-22-02, 09:54 AM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

Thats a good question White01,

So does anyone know if stock HID bulbs can be replaced with Phillips 6000k Ultinons?
Old 04-22-02, 11:17 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

I'm afraid the answer to your question is No...

You can't just use the oem HID to fit into your halogen based 9006 bulb headlamps...

Please read through the thread below, it was discussed a while back, and it has pictures to help you understand more...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43698

-Hendry
Old 04-22-02, 01:19 PM
white01
Driver

So if I understand correctly I can't use the OEM HID bulbs, correct? However, if I use the 9006 D2R's (I guess you could call them Halogen fittament HID bulbs) I can at least use the OEM ballast to power the Phillips 6K's. The problem is the OEM Bulbs, since the housings for std. Halogen vs. HID is different.
Old 04-22-02, 01:28 PM
white01
Driver

Disregard the last post guys. I went through some of the old threads. Now I have a complete understanding of what my options are.
Old 04-22-02, 05:49 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Smile

Great! Glad you got your questions answered...

-Hendry
Old 04-23-02, 12:51 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

there you go, Hendry answered your question hehe, sorry i havn't replyed in a while, been busy =)
Old 04-23-02, 02:52 PM
white01
Driver

"It's all good" You guys have this tag team thing going on It works rather well too. If someone is away someone else will chime in with valuable info.

My current dilema, is to buy or not to buy. the aftermarket kit in its entirety. If I go with the Lexus Ballast I"m still going to have to get 9006bulbs. I can get the Lex Kit for $350.00. Figure I throw the mechanic a buck ($100) for his time. The correct fittament bulbs will run me about $280.00 or so for the pair. So were talking about $730.00 when everything is said and done.

Looks like the "all inclusive" aftermarket kit with the correct bulbs (Phillips Ultinons of course) wins by unanimous decision.
Old 04-23-02, 03:34 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

value and i think performance wise you should be better off with the aftermarket kit. this SUVLIGHTS.com place is a good deal considering i got the same kit for 579. I emailed autolamps-online about suvlights and they said something like their stuff is made in korea or someting... it was not too clear considering their english is not perfect. So i'm not for certain but i doubt theres anything wrong with the kit a suvlights. If i had the chance to go back, i think i would had gotten the kit at suvlights =)

if you want, i can copy and paste the information autolamps gave me...
Old 04-24-02, 07:14 AM
white01
Driver

if you want, i can copy and paste the information autolamps gave me...
Cool, that will work. Thanks
Old 04-25-02, 10:22 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

This reponse that i got from autolamps was when i asked them about the possibilitie to use any ballast and the philips ultinons bulbs...

I understand regarding your research, but will make you aware of possible problems, and although, of course I am bound to be biased, they are real concerns. This is coming from 15 years experience with Philips, our founder worked for them in Automotive lighting for 15 years in some 32 countries and sat on the various global committees that were set up when Philips introduced the original HID D2 to cars back in the beginning of the '90's so I hope you understand that although we would never claim to be perfect or have the only HID conversion kit worth considering, what we do have is more experience than any of the other suppliers on the Web and we will always give correct information even if customers go elsewhere to buy.
Beware of any product that seems too good to be true on price, there are many claims in the market which are simply not possible or correct. Some claims that the HID lamps are made by Philips are not correct but to the untrained eye it would not be possible for a customer to know if the rebased or converted lamp is a Philips D2, there are many copy lamps made in Korea and Taiwan which will ultimately not give the life or quality of the Philips lamps, so check and ask them to put in writing that they use only Philips components. This criteria can also be applied to the ballast, again there are many poor quality ballast, some have starter as separate, made in Asia and the life will be poor. We have tested most of the lamps and ballast available over the last 2 years as part of our own development programme and some at best gave 250 hours which is not good, the Philips lamp and ballast will give 3000hrs of reliable quality, but then they invested millions in the development and manufacturing of the D2 which is made in Aachen in Germany.
The other claims now that Philips has introduced the 6000K (CoolPower) is of lamps giving 7/8 and even we have tested as high as 12000K colour temperature, there is only one Philips and that is 6000K so any claim of more is going to be a Korean or Taiwanese made lamp but these colour temperatures are just not possible and not real.
In answer to your question re the ballast with our lamps, the only combination to give the quality and reliability is the Philips lamp with the Philips ballast, you will never get the reliability using a quality lamp with inferior ballast and vice versa.
I know that all this may sound arrogant and I would never rubbish a good competitor product but because there are so many people selling HID who know little or nothing about the optical properties required for conversion kits and have no experience of HID it is wise to ask around and always ask for proof in writing to substantiate any claims. Wherever you spend your money it is a big investment and you would want to get many hours of trouble free lighting so always ask and ask again until you are confident that you will have spent your money well.

We will happily give you any information if you have questions and the information is free, it is your choice to buy from who you choose but we will always give honest and unbiased information if asked we are not just here to sell product, the site and all we do is based around bringing a degree of education and information that others cannot do and we are the first Philips ecommerce site because we not only wanted to offer information but also make the product available to the individual car enthusiast, Philips do not make an aftermarket HID kit as such what we started was an aftermarket HID conversion. As a last point to consider, the only lamps used in Original Manufacture HID headlamps is the Osram or Philips so you have to ask yourself why.
Old 04-25-02, 10:23 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

this is the reply about suvlights.com

There are so many HID suppliers it is difficult to tell the wood from the trees sometimes. We know SUVlights very well. There kits are made in Taiwan and do not use Philips components. If this is the type of kit you would like you can shop around and buy one from Asia for approx $300. The advantage of 100% Philips components is that they are exactly the same components as used by all the car manufacturers. If the Asia product was as good and this much cheaper then the car manufacturers would buy it, but they don't. You therefore can draw your own conclusions.