Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 12:11 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Putting OEM GS HIDs into a OEM non-HID GS

Hi all

1st thanks in advance for the advice. You guys are very helpful

I did search but couldn't dig out what I was looking for.

Background: I am considering putting used OEM Lexus GS HID housings (bulbs, ballast, bowl) into my 98 GS400. My GS is not OEM HID. I mounted an aftermarket HID kit in the GS before but had real issues with wire corrosion and unreliability so I pulled the kit off and put the old system back in.

I don't know anything about lighting but I understand that what I am suggesting is not plug and play. What I don't understand is what I need to do after I screw in the new light housings.

Can anybody provide a step by step and educate as to what the additional parts would cost?
Old 10-07-09, 07:23 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well after you place in the new bowl, seal back up the housing & everything after that should be plug and play, the ballast mounts below the headlights with screws, reconnect all wiring from bulb to ballast, ballast to socket and youre all set.
Old 10-08-09, 03:05 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mike,

I am now realizing that I am using the wrong terminology. I would be buying the entire OEM HID GS headlight assembly and putting it into a non-HID Lexus GS.

Does that change your answer? Is this wiring the same? What do I need to do to the ballast?
Old 10-12-09, 10:18 PM
E-2GS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Werewolf
For some reasons I needed to change my both of my front HID headlights. It took my friend and me 4 hours to take off and put the HIDs, autolevelers and front bumper together. Yes front bumper needs to come off or loosing it because the HID ballast at the bottom of the headlight, its bigger than the regular non-HIDs. We both are very good at changing parts for cars.

The HID headlight just a white plug with 2 probes, one positive and one negative, you can cut your original 9006 plug and put a clip to these probes. The autoleveler has a plug with 6 probes and pointed to the ground when not in use, you have to adjust it up. On this forum, there is a youtube procedure that added a controller to activate the autolever or you can live without any autoleveler.

Secondly, I don’t know how long you going to keep your car. Is it more expansive to sell the car with the plug and play HID or OEMs without autoleveler?

IMHO I think you should get another plug and play. Fast and worry free…
Good luck!!!