Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

ES 300 Clear Foglights Tutorial (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-02, 01:19 AM
clark390
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clear Foglights Tutorial (with pictures)

Here's a short tutorial I just put together on making your ES300 fog lights clear. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. I hope this helps some of you. You can click on the images to enlarge them.

1. Remove the 4 screws on the front and remove the black cover.

2. Remove the 2 screws on the metal clip. This clip holds the glass into place. Once the clip is loose the glass may fall out.

3. Remove glass and resecure metal clip by fastening the 2 screws.

4. Put the black cover back on and fasten it with the 4 screws you removed earlier.

5. Enjoy your clear foglights!

Old 05-02-02, 01:15 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait a minute... so your fogs have no glass at all?
Old 05-02-02, 02:12 PM
clark390
Driver School Candidate

Talking No

I figured it might look like that to someone from the pics.. The clear glass on the front is there like normal. It's just the yellow lense which is set about an inch back from the clear glass (see pic) that was removed.
Old 05-02-02, 02:26 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

That's a great post, someone should do something like that on how to get the head and tail lights clear too. The pictures are alot easier than words when you're inexperienced.
Old 05-02-02, 03:20 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year ES's have that kind of fog lights? Mine already look clear.
Old 05-02-02, 06:34 PM
clark390
Driver School Candidate

My ES300 is a 1992. I was going to do a tutorial on doing the headlights today, but since it was my first time I was trying to figure it out for myself. Maybe I will get ambitious and redo them again, with digital camera in hand. The first headlight I did took at least an hour but once I knew what I was doing the second one only took about 10 minutes total.
Old 05-03-02, 03:37 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Clark, you have to take the bumper off to do all this right? Is that hard? I glanced at it , but I didn't look at it in detail. About how many bolts do you have to take off?
Old 05-03-02, 09:41 AM
clark390
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

There are 2 bolts holding the light up and then there is a 3rd one below it. It is fairly easy to get to. I would recommend jacking your car up a little just so the springs are raised. I don't think it's necessary to get it lifted off of the ground. That way you will have a little bit more room underneath the car to work at getting them off.
Old 05-03-02, 10:33 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just to elaborate a little on what Clark said, the foglights come out from underneath, you don't have to take the bumper off. Just jack the car up and look at the lights from underneath, you'll find the three bolts.

I took mine apart the night before this post was started and I'm pretty sure they are different from the ones you posted. Mine didn't have the two screws holding together the inside pieces that the yellow lights are in, it looked like it was welded together or something along those lines; anyway I couldn't get mine apart. It's a '92 too, otherwise they look the same. I don't really mind the yellow so I don't think I'll push it any farther.
Old 05-03-02, 02:12 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lights

Ok, for questions in here.

First, the 95-96 ES have the clear fogs. 94 and down have yellow.

Second, The headlight decription has been done by Sean and I, we have posted the pics and everything. That was how it all got started after L-Sport and Someone else had done the clear corners. Search for the link, It is only 3 threads below this one, since someone re-replied to it. It is called "Clear Corners" by mcelligott (sean). and if you don't know how to get out the headlight, I have posted how twice. Look for a thread called "Misc" by EGainer, in there I reposted the way to get out the light.
Old 05-06-02, 11:34 AM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Default I did it finally

I finally made my fog lights clear. I have a 93 es3oo, but the way I had to take them out was not the same as the tutorial. I had to just hit the glass out also many times untill it cracked. I in the end though I put some H3's in and the look ok. It is not the same color as the headlights, but it look better.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 05-06-02, 12:22 PM
clark390
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

I have another set of foglights I am going to take apart for a friend. It is a '93 ES300 so I will see if they're different than the ones on my '92.
Old 05-06-02, 12:25 PM
clark390
Driver School Candidate

The foglights will probably look a little bit whiter since the lenses are absolutely clear. The lenses inside the headlights are kind of opaque.
Old 05-06-02, 12:51 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Default thats true

I am not sure why it is different, but you can not take out the lens by just opening up or unscrewing anything. The place where my yellow insert was was in a egg shaped container. It was two pieces of metal that were either welded or glued together, so I just hit it CAREFULLY with a hammer about 30-40 times till it started to chip around the outside of the yellow glass. Then it just popped in or out. Be carefull of the little glass shards though. They will get all over.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 05-06-02, 09:13 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: thats true

Originally posted by 1loudlex
I am not sure why it is different, but you can not take out the lens by just opening up or unscrewing anything. The place where my yellow insert was was in a egg shaped container. It was two pieces of metal that were either welded or glued together, so I just hit it CAREFULLY with a hammer about 30-40 times till it started to chip around the outside of the yellow glass. Then it just popped in or out. Be carefull of the little glass shards though. They will get all over.

Adam " Lexist "
You've got the same lights I do. I took them apart and started looking; thinking OK I don't see an easy way to do this.

Quick Reply: ES 300 Clear Foglights Tutorial (with pictures)