Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

ES300 3rd brake light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-02, 01:55 PM
642jdub
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ES300 3rd brake light replacement

Can anyone explain how to take off the rear 3rd brake light panel to replace the bulb?
Old 05-04-02, 02:47 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty simple. There's a screw that I think holds the light, if you look underneath it from the trunk; you'll see hole in the panel. There is a screw in another panel, you'll have to stick the screwdriver up through that hole and catch it in the screw. Once you've got that out, you can pry back on the light assembly from inside the car and it'll come out. It's held on by clips, you might have to really pull on it, a strong right angle pick might be helpful.
Old 05-04-02, 05:37 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the guy took mine out to change my speakers, he unscrewed the screw underneath, but that didn't seem to be the screw holding it in. he just had to pull on it and use a pick to get the light out. Just pulling on it, when it came out it looked like there was some clip holding it in and apparently I hadn't unclipped it is why it was so hard to pull out. Look on the bottom for any clips holding the light in. And I don't think that white one is it. That is the clip to hold the outside of the light onto the main part of the light.
Old 05-05-02, 07:16 AM
blux
Pole Position

Default 3rd Break Light

I'm going to have to try this.... I pulled on it for at least a half an hour the other day and couldnt get it to budge. My window is really nasty behind it, need to clean it up.
Old 05-05-02, 12:44 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I'm not really sure if the screw holds in the brake light or not, but it might if you're having trouble otherwise.
Old 05-06-02, 08:34 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Default Pull Harder!!!!!

You really have to pull hard and at yourself with the light. It is hard to get a good grip on the light though. Be very carefull because like I did you can break off one of the two clips that holds the light into the metal of the rear deck.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 05-08-02, 12:15 PM
jung502
Driver School Candidate

The easiest way to replace the bulb and to clean the back window is unfortunately to remove the back deck like if u were goin to replace the speakers. When i changed the back speakers i always put in a new hyper bulb for the 3rd brake light and cleaned up the back window. All u have to to is pull the rear bench up, its held by 3 clips, and then unbolt the rear seat held by a bolt on each side easy to find i think they were 12mm and then undo the clips of the rear side panels and then the rear deck is held by 4 clips take those out and everything comes apart and u can then unclip the 3rd brake light and do whatever u want with it, once u do its easy to do it again, all in all it should take u 10-15 mins tops
Old 05-25-02, 03:07 PM
blux
Pole Position

having problems taking out the break light...

ok, so I look under the trunk, there are 2 holes that look like they go to the break light. I stick a screw driver in the one farthest from the back seats and it feels "plasticy" I then put a screw driver in the closest one and I dont feel a screw but like a clip. I'm not sure what hole the screw is in, or if there is a screw, and what to pull on the inside (direction)....

thanks
Old 05-25-02, 03:22 PM
blux
Pole Position

whoo hoo! got the screw out (continues to yank on the light)
Old 06-06-02, 05:16 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I need to do the same thing. My window back there is filty. :eek:
Old 06-10-02, 03:42 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

If you've got some kind of a tool or something with a hook or right angle to it that'd be helpful. Stick it underneath the assembly or somewhere and pull towards you, should come out with a little (or alot) of force.
Old 08-04-08, 05:13 AM
tbevilacqu
Driver School Candidate

Default Tool To Remove Rear Deck Brake Light

I used 2 feet of 18 gauge wire to remove the Rear Deck Brake Light Housing. You can use fishing line, etc. Loop it around the back of the housing. I had to lift each back corner to tuck the wire under the housing corner. Once both corners of the wire are under the back corners of the housing; pull on the wire. It will pull on the 2 release tabs and remove the housing. Next unplug the housing, replace the bulb, clean the window, plug in the housing, test it by stepping on the brake, and replace the housing.
Old 08-04-08, 08:14 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

theres no screw holding the cover =0....

u just got to manage to get inside the cover with an L key type tool.

i just force my it out!!!! yank on it hard but not to hard.

u can try prying it alittle and use your fingers with some glove to pull them
out.
Old 08-06-08, 10:50 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Wow, I saw the little icon that said I'd posted in this thread, I had to look. Over 6 years ago, crazy that it's been that long!
Old 10-27-08, 03:57 PM
rattler96
Driver School Candidate

Just got to pull toward you with a bit of force. I just poped mine out.......after removing the seats.......didn't need to do that.

Quick Reply: ES300 3rd brake light replacement