Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

OEM HID, the saga continues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-02, 11:53 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 92 SC400 and I would definitely want brighter lights without spending a fortune..... I would love to see side by side on the silverstars and HID's.
Old 05-20-02, 11:58 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TealLexusSc400
Here is a little basic knowledge of HID and HID lookalikes.

HID Lights that you see in most BMW 3, 5, 7, and X series have an AUTO LEVELING system that shifts the projector to adjust to the road (Like Porshe, Lexus LS430, new GS430, Ferrari, M/B, Audi, S2000 Honda). Just buying a Philips HID or any other aftermarket HID kit will not give you that flickering of color you see when the car is coming towards you. That flickering is produces when the bulb is moving up and down with the auto leveling system.
I have to somewhat disagree about the flickering. It's not necessarily the moving of the auto-leveling system that you see when you see a OEM xenon equipped vehicle. It's the optics, in most casts it is projector beam optics like BMW uses on many of it's vehicle and like the S2000 - which gives off many colors at different angles. The projector housing creates a prism like effect that reflector housings do not.
Old 05-20-02, 12:10 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

You are correct to a point. But you must understand that because the projector is pitching much more than a non leveling car you will see more of the prism effect, thus giving a much more noticable shift in light coloration. You can compair this by looking at an Acura 3.2TL. 3.2CL or 3.5RL. They do not have a auto leveling system, they just look really blue and purple at all times. because they are not shifting up and down, thus you are not seeing the outer edges of the light patern.
Old 05-20-02, 12:22 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I see what you are saying TealLexusSc400. I think we both have a point on why different HID systems look as they do. I don't want to start an argument - and I know you weren't either
Old 05-20-02, 12:29 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

True true, We Proud Lexus owners must stick together and fight thoughs who are out to destroy us. Like the Evil Mercedes Benz and BMW owners.
Old 05-20-02, 12:30 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to go HID but I don't want to spend alot....... where and how can I get some cheap HID?
Old 05-20-02, 12:55 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autolevelling adjusts the pitch of the free-form reflector to guide the body of light up and down. This system has little to do with the existance of color flicker. It does make it more noticeable on rough roads, but even when an Audi is driving down a smooth, flat, level road, it will appear purple from certain distances and angles regardless of autolevelling. All projector optics have the capability to produce flicker, the S2000 can throw off deep yellow and red color as well as purple, green, and blue because it's optics are very uniquely mounted, which make them nearly impossible to retrofit .
Old 05-20-02, 02:15 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

When i'm riding with my friend in his S2000 you can see the leveling system working, even on a level road. My girlfriend has a new 540 and you can see her lights shifting as well while driving. The only time I see them flicker is at an angle or when they are leveling.
Old 05-20-02, 02:21 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Manny, where's the pix man. I am eager to make this purchase.
Old 05-20-02, 11:19 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Default BMW 7 series

I was just riding home when I spotted someone far ahead of me with HID lighting. It was a 7 series. It's lights were purple, when I was way behind it, when I was beside it, and when I saw it in my rearview mirror when she was directly behind me. Now I'm talking about SUPER purple, b/c the ground and everything else was reallllly purple. This makes me highly doubt that ALL OEM HID equipped cars come standard with 4100K bulbs. And I seriously doubt that the bulbs were changed, or that it was an aftermarket kit b/c the lady looked like she was in her mid 60's. And I know about the optics, and yada yada, but this was just realllly purple. Hopefully if I get the autolamp 6000K's, THAT'S the kind of purple it'll be.
Old 05-21-02, 01:08 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BMW 7 series

Originally posted by lexlikenother
I was just riding home when I spotted someone far ahead of me with HID lighting. It was a 7 series. It's lights were purple, when I was way behind it, when I was beside it, and when I saw it in my rearview mirror when she was directly behind me. Now I'm talking about SUPER purple, b/c the ground and everything else was reallllly purple. This makes me highly doubt that ALL OEM HID equipped cars come standard with 4100K bulbs. And I seriously doubt that the bulbs were changed, or that it was an aftermarket kit b/c the lady looked like she was in her mid 60's. And I know about the optics, and yada yada, but this was just realllly purple. Hopefully if I get the autolamp 6000K's, THAT'S the kind of purple it'll be.
Needless to say, all optics. If you want to doubt me, please bring back anything but a 4100K Osram bulb from the BMW dealership. Also BMWs use Osram bulbs, so it's either 4100K or 5400K, neither of which is purple in color by itself. +8000K is purple.

I too have seen the BMW bi-xenon HIDs from a parked, stationary 745iL. They are white from dead on, not purple. Step inside a 745iL for yourself, you'll see it light up a WHITE road. Of course the HIDs are not going to appear white from behind you because that would mean they are aimed too high. If another motorist can see the direct light from a projector that is supposed to be projected onto the road, that means there is no autolevelling and the aiming screws are set too high.
Old 05-21-02, 02:30 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

ok my question is, would the Aiming screws on the headlights of auto-leveling headlights change the level of the headlights? or does the auto-leveling always keep it in the middle no matter where the screws aim the lights?

ShOwGS
Old 05-21-02, 10:13 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Now I've seen them on a new 3 series, and they were purple when they were behind me, but the light output on the ground SUCKED. They didn't put much light on the ground, for OEM hid's. But this 7 series was lighting up evvvvvvvvvverything, and it was a darkish purple. NOOOOOOOOO white at all. So maybe it was just an old lady with some style, and put some K2's or Phillips ultinon's on

Last edited by lexlikenother; 05-21-02 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-08-03, 03:27 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

i still think the porsche 911 turbo HID's are the brightes i have ever seen they were blinding me...

CEO
Old 11-08-03, 10:06 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by THE_CEO
i still think the porsche 911 turbo HID's are the brightes i have ever seen they were blinding me...

CEO
Before I purchased my LS I test drove a new Q45.. MAN O MAN, they have some bright HID's..

BTW: Do you know how old this thread is?????

Last edited by 2Lexus430s; 11-08-03 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM HID, the saga continues...