Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

XenonDepot bulbs not that great

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 08:56 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XenonDepot bulbs not that great

I purchased a set of replacement bulbs from xenondepot around a year ago, and this is my long term opinion about every thing.

The color and light output are great, while they are on. Twice within the same year the bulbs would fail and randomly go out. i once recorded on a 2 mile drive home i had to restart the bulbs 4 times. perhaps this is due to the fact the bulbs are made in korea, that im not too sure.

The sad thing is despite the premium price i paid for these, they constantly fail. The set of ebay hid i have for my fogs on the other hand, which i have had for about two years now have never failed once. While every thing in the world is bound to break, i took great comfort in the great reputation xenon depot has on the CL forums. The first time i ran into a problem Steve was great, but the second time around i couldnt get a response to my PM and i would have to send emails straight to their site. But even after that no follow up's were sent. The point of the story is to steer away from these bulbs, def not worth the price of hassle of having to take every thing apart every few months to change your HID bulbs.
Old 12-28-09, 11:31 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about that man, it's not the price you pay, it's the peace of mind you get.
Old 12-31-09, 03:11 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Try calling them, maybe that will help. When I called with questions prior to my purchase of two volt kits, Steve literally picked up after the second ring. Hopefully you will be able to get this taken care of. Good luck.
Old 01-02-10, 04:41 PM
BLACK ONYX
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that. I have in my LX. They work great have no issue(knock the wood). I think the ballasts got problem. Steve is very nice guy. He will answer any questions I asked. Please call him see if he can help you through the phone. Good Luck!
Old 01-06-10, 09:55 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

I will have to agree with the quality of the bulbs with the OP.

While XenonDepot had good customer service, the price I paid for my bulbs and kit was definitely not worth it now that I look back. I went ahead with such expensive kits and bulbs (6000k D4S bulbs + 6500k 9006 Xtreme fog hid) because of reputation and that the warranty seemed good.

I had to replace my 6500k 9006 bulbs within a month or so because when on they were Pink in color! Even though I got a replacement, the bulbs still did not have great light output.

Just recently my 6000k D4S bulbs went out after 1 1/2 years. However, in this time, I really did not use my headlights that much (I dont do too much night driving and dont keep my headlights on during the daytime). I was expecting much more life out of the bulbs but now they are dead. The output of the D4S bulbs compared with other D4S brands wasn't that great at all. Other brands have brighter output even with the same headlight height adjustment.

Just my opinion. I'm moving on to Garax bulbs now.
Old 01-14-10, 08:31 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't dealt with with XD before, but my question is do you guys wear gloves while installing the lights? I know my regular lights died after a month (OEM) non HID but I had touched the bulb with my fingers (oops). I needed a quick replacement and I happened to be at harbor freight and I installed the light with some gloves and no problems yet. I would assume that the HID bulbs put out more heat causing them to be a little more sensitive to the oils our skin.
Old 01-14-10, 11:54 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Get real bulbs. Philips brand. Not some generic company.

You will be happy.
Old 01-16-10, 12:20 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

ya they were installed with gloves and all, but neme is right. Even though XD has a "rep" here, it really doesnt say much when it comes down to quality. Their great customer service ends after a year from purchase, sadly i didnt have a pair that made it past 7 months.
Old 01-17-10, 08:07 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLDriver
I haven't dealt with with XD before, but my question is do you guys wear gloves while installing the lights? I know my regular lights died after a month (OEM) non HID but I had touched the bulb with my fingers (oops). I needed a quick replacement and I happened to be at harbor freight and I installed the light with some gloves and no problems yet. I would assume that the HID bulbs put out more heat causing them to be a little more sensitive to the oils our skin.
make sure you wear gloves when handling bulbs. cause the oil creates "heat spots" kinda thing and will cause your bulbs to burn out premature.

if you do touch with your bare hands. wipe down the bulbs with isopropyl alcohol.
Old 01-18-10, 07:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

George,

I apologize that you are not happy with the D4 bulbs. It's one thing to state that you are not happy with the product however please don't say that I ignored your emails as I have a copy of our correspondence. My last email to you specifically said that I cannot send you replacements as you originally placed your order over a year and a half ago. I even suggested to "send you a replacement set at cost." It was you who did not reply to that email.

With the D4 bulbs it has been a little tricky as the problem is not so much the bulb as it is the ballast throwing an error code with the bulbs. You will find constant threads on this board about people who are having the same problem with their OEM HID bulb (not aftermarket). Toyota/Lexus warranty does not even cover HID bulbs.

Steve
Old 01-18-10, 11:46 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

i stated that it took extra effort by me to get a response to my messages. All of these are facts and i have the PM's and emails, or lack of them to prove it. So I feel its perfectly legitimate to share my experiences with other members on the board. And if its a product you know does not work 100% you should not be selling it to customers until you are sure they will be "a little tricky".

I am a unhappy customer, and the support and quality of products led me to this, once again i feel its right to share my experiences with the other members of CL so they can be forewarned about the product they shall receive. A $100 pair of duds, bulbs that dont last you much longer than half a year.
Old 01-18-10, 12:41 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

but the second time around i couldnt get a response to my PM and i would have to send emails straight to their site. But even after that no follow up's were sent.
As I advised, I did not get the PM you sent me on the board and I replied to your email as soon as it was received - I would be more than happy to post the corespondence if you like. You specifically state that "no follow ups were sent" which is not true.

We did have some issues with our initial D4 bulbs as you know. We have also sent replacements to anyone that had problems with the bulbs.

I agree that you should feel free to share your experience with the product however please don't state that I did not follow up with you when I specifically offered to send you a replacement at cost and not FOC as the bulbs were 7 monts out of warranty.
Old 01-18-10, 01:32 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

When I say there was no follow up I had orignally sent you a pm, that was not replied to. Then I emailed you, initally you responded prompty. But after I gave more information, no reply was ever sent back to me and you indeed failed to follow up on my situation until multiple days later after I created this thread about how unsatsfied I was with your service. So I never lied about any thing, please check your own records and don't hurt your reputation more than you have already by saying your customers are liars. Thanks
Old 01-18-10, 02:32 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Here is the copy of the correspodence - You emailed me on the 26th (we were technically closed). I replied to you on the 26th (even though we were closed. You replied to me on the 26th. I replied to you on the 29th as we were closed for on Monday the 28th.

I have taken your email and shippind address out of the correspondence

On Dec 29, 2009, at 3:32 PM, KBcarstuff<Info@KBcarstuff.com> wrote:
Hi George,

The bulbs come with one year warranty so unfortunately warranty is no longer valid on these bulbs. The best I can do for you would be to offer you a replacement set at cost.

Steve

On 09-12-26 3:41 PM, "George Huang" <> wrote:

> I checked my past msgs and I received my replacments about 6 months
> ago. I got both replaced at the time since I had problems with both
> sides. I hope to get them both replaced for color sake. The first set
> of replacments differed in color alot compared to my original
>
> On Dec 26, 2009, at 5:55 AM, KBcarstuff<Info@KBcarstuff.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Im sorry but I missed your PM.
>>
>> When did you receive the replacements?
>>
>> Are you only having an issue on one side or both?
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>
>> On 09-12-26 9:14 AM, "George Huang" <> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, i tried to PM you guys on the club lexus forums on tuesday but i
>>> have yet to get a response. This message is regarding order #3064.
>>> For
>>> the second time the bulbs i order seem to be failing. They are
>>> randomly going out. this time it is the driver side instead of the
>>> passenger side. I hope you guys can help me take care of this
>>> problem.
>>> Its quite hard to take every thing apart and replace the bulbs every
>>> few months. I hope for a speedy response. my shipping address is the
>>> same as when i order them
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>> -George Huang
Old 01-18-10, 02:40 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

He has the right to post his experience.

If you have a problem with what he is saying, you should probably resolve it via PM.

Quick Reply: XenonDepot bulbs not that great