Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Xenon/HID Light keeps turning off!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 03:51 PM
djmx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Xenon/HID Light keeps turning off!!

Hey Guys -

So it seems that I have a very weird issue that no one knows. My Xenon light on the right side (Passenger side) keeps turning off. It turns on when you turn the lights but after 2 secs it turns off. It goes on sometimes.. very rarely tho. I took it to the Lexus Dealership they said it can either be the bulb or the computer. I took it to 2 other mechanic shops they all have no idea. The mechanic said they'd charge 160 for the Xeonon lights, and if it's the computer box, it'll be about 800. I really have no idea what to do or how to figure out exactly what the issue is. Also the other light is a bit purplish when it turns on and I hear a whistling noise from the light. I mean that can be normal or not. I just got this car; USED. Please let me know.

Thanks Guys!
Old 05-19-10, 05:18 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

i assume you have the oem hids?

first, you want to try and switch the bulbs to see if the problems follow with the bulbs. replace bulbs if so.

second, if bulbs are fine then you might want to change the ballasts (used ones are about 50 bucks a piece and have a mechanic change it for you or diy)

third, it might be the wires.. so maybe have a mechanic see if all wires etc are in good order.

Hope this helps

Alan
Old 05-19-10, 08:17 PM
djmx
Driver School Candidate

Hey Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Umm I don't think I can switch the bulbs myself, i looked up DIY on youtube and that's extremely hard and i'm scared i'll mess something up while in the process of doing that! a mechanic will not even check to see wut the probably really is. I mean i took it to a lexus dealer and they just said it could be either, they didn't even bother to check the dam thing and pin-point the problem!
Old 05-19-10, 08:53 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

quick question... what car are you driving and if you are in socal theres quite a few mechanics that is pretty popular on CL that might be able to help. i guess you can buy a set of new bulbs or borrow some bulbs and have the mechanic to swap out the bulbs. then go from there...
Old 05-19-10, 08:56 PM
djmx
Driver School Candidate

Hey i'm in the West Los Angeles Area... how bout u? maybe u can HELP ME!!??? lol ur in socal 2..?
Old 05-19-10, 09:09 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

yeah im in socal. lol, i dont want to mess up your ride since I am not really a hands on person myself. haha
Old 05-19-10, 09:38 PM
djmx
Driver School Candidate

LOL! dang! do u know anyone that would help me and not charge? just to take a look or swap the bulbs???
Old 05-21-10, 12:37 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Swapping the bulbs shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully, it's a bulb issue, but I doubt it. It either the ballast which will require taking off the bumper and removing the headlamps. You want to avoid this route, but if this is the case, I can help you. I have done this several times.

It could also be your battery, not providing enough juice to the ballasts. When you turn on your headlights, make sure you switch off the foglights and don't step on the brake (assuming you're in your garage). Sometimes, all these lights come on at the same time and cause your ballasts to switch off when there's not enough constant current. Your ballast would flicker and switch off. Hope this help.
Old 05-21-10, 07:35 PM
djmx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jvxdriver
Swapping the bulbs shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully, it's a bulb issue, but I doubt it. It either the ballast which will require taking off the bumper and removing the headlamps. You want to avoid this route, but if this is the case, I can help you. I have done this several times.

It could also be your battery, not providing enough juice to the ballasts. When you turn on your headlights, make sure you switch off the foglights and don't step on the brake (assuming you're in your garage). Sometimes, all these lights come on at the same time and cause your ballasts to switch off when there's not enough constant current. Your ballast would flicker and switch off. Hope this help.
Hey man! Thanks for replying to my post.

If it was the battery don't you think none of lights would come on? Why only the right side (Passenger) would just shut off..? I'm still not sure if it's the bulb or ballast. It's pretty hard to really figure it out. Lexus Dealer said they think it was the blub, but wasn't sure. So I really don't know. Do you live near me? I'm in West Los Angeles Area. Let me know.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-10, 11:42 AM
jvxdriver
Rookie

The battery could be weak and doesn't provide constant power to both sides of the headlamp. Btw, what car do you drive? I only have experience with my IS250. Other models may required me to look up the owner manual. If you're in Santa Monica area, I may help.
Old 05-23-10, 11:12 PM
djmx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jvxdriver
The battery could be weak and doesn't provide constant power to both sides of the headlamp. Btw, what car do you drive? I only have experience with my IS250. Other models may required me to look up the owner manual. If you're in Santa Monica area, I may help.
Hey Bud! Yes, I am in the Santa Monica Area!! and mine is a IS 250 07' LEXUS!! let me know wut else u need..and see wut we can do! Thanks!!

Old 05-24-10, 09:41 AM
jvxdriver
Rookie

You said that you bought this car used, and also that the bulb appears bluish. Look to me like it's an aftermarket hid bulb. The previous owner must have swapped out the oem bulb.

We'll find out quickly when we swap the bulb. I will need 10mm wrench and a bright area to work. My girlfriend works in Santa Monica. After I drop her off, I can stop by your place to take a look. Tuesday (tomorrow) after 6pm would be best. Give me your contact info.
Old 05-24-10, 12:17 PM
djmx
Driver School Candidate

Hey Man! that's AWESOME! THANK U!!!! I tried pming u my info but says u don't accept PM's. Also I don't wanna post my info in public.. let me know how else u wanna go about this. Thanks again!!

Last edited by djmx; 05-24-10 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 02:00 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

You could post your email. Then after I respond, you can edit your post and remove it. Or just send an email to me: [removed]. I'll remove my email afterward.

Last edited by jvxdriver; 05-24-10 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 12:06 AM
djmx
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys,

Alright so I finally figured the issue out. Thanks to Jvxdriver for helping me out. I went ahead and swapped the bulbs and thankfully, it was the bulb and not the BALLAST! So I have ordered sum new bulbs and should be receiving them shortly!

Just letting others know.. in case anyone is experiencing the same or similar issue.

Quick Reply: Xenon/HID Light keeps turning off!!